[Mk2] [NA] Wheel nut lengths... again

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HughesR1

[Mk2] [NA] Wheel nut lengths... again

Post by HughesR1 »

I know the OEM wheel nut lengths vary for different rev wheels, and whether they are front or rear, but does it actually matter which OEM wheel nuts you use where?

Only reason I ask is I have some rev2+ OEM wheels with track tyres on but I have a mix of rev2 and rev5 wheel nuts. To me it looks like they pretty much all have the same internal thread length so can't see it being an issue but just want to check. :thumleft:
1998 MR2 Rev5 NA (Road & Track)
1998 Porsche Boxster 986 (Weekend)
2007 Ford S-Max Titanium (Family Hack!)
SonicSW20

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Wheel nut lengths... again

Post by SonicSW20 »

Thread size and seat type is the same on all revisions (and most Toyota's I think!). So the only issue with using Rev2-4 wheel nuts on Rev5 wheels is it'll look retarded as the Rev5 nuts are a fair bit shorter.

As far as I know the Rev2-4 nuts are only longer for aesthetics, so they sit pretty much flush with the wheel and centre cap.
HughesR1

Post by HughesR1 »

Cheers dude. Now I look at them again I think they're a combo of rev5 fronts, rev 2 fronts and rears as none of them look like the huge rev5 rear ones

Ideally I want to run the short ones all round to reduce unsprung mass (anal I know!) :lol:
1998 MR2 Rev5 NA (Road & Track)
1998 Porsche Boxster 986 (Weekend)
2007 Ford S-Max Titanium (Family Hack!)
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

HughesR1 wrote:Cheers dude. Now I look at them again I think they're a combo of rev5 fronts, rev 2 fronts and rears as none of them look like the huge rev5 rear ones

Ideally I want to run the short ones all round to reduce unsprung mass (anal I know!) :lol:

All the Rev5 ones are relatively short, it's the earlier revs that have the large ones.

These are the short ones. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x-Genuine- ... 1314125948

If you have a short one already just try it on the rear and make sure it's OK. I'm 95% sure it is, but I wouldn't want you to go and buy a set of wheel nuts only to find that they don't seat properly because they're too short or something :thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”