Help with bkr7eix spark plugs!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Caleb-mr2

Help with bkr7eix spark plugs!

Post by Caleb-mr2 »

Hi guys,

I recently bought a guy I knows rev5 turbo. It was misfiring so I made sure to compression check it first and all was good. He told me he changed 3 of the 4 spark plugs, all but the one under the intake manifold.

This was the first thing I checked and after going over it with a multimeter it seems toast so hopefully that'll be an easy cheap fix. I noticed the 3 he put in were ngk bkr6e and the one he never bothered with was a bkr7eix. That probably wouldn't help with running either with different heat ranges.

I'm going to replace all 4 with the bkr7eix. The car has intake, exhaust mods, hks intercooler and runs an apexi power fc so this should be the right plug??

I don't know what boost it's running so what should the gap be? I read between 0.6 and 0.8mm

Any help welcome!
jimGTS

Re: Help with bkr7eix spark plugs!

Post by jimGTS »

one that sits under/near throttle body is tricky to get to, likely why he didnt change it.

saying that, it only involves removing the intercooler pipe and TB attachment. 5minute job.

anyways, 0.8mm should be fine. ive gapped those exact plugs to 0.75 but i run more than stock boost.

given the car has powerFC, i would highly suspect he was running more than stock boost!!
why no boost gauge?
Caleb-mr2

Post by Caleb-mr2 »

Maybe gap them to 0.75 just in case there's more boost.

I know just has the stock gauge... #-o

Really I bought this as a project as it's a genuine rev5 turbo and deserves to get back on its feet. So I'm going to install gauges and stuff in time and get a hand controller for the power fc
androo007

Post by androo007 »

I thought stock gap was 0.6mm, but adjust according to boost levels.

I'd think that getting the correct heat grade plug would be more important - 1 step colder should be OK on a 0.6mm gap for bolt-ons.

Not heard of people overgapping without significant mods.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

im sure stock gap is 0.8mm
Caleb-mr2

Post by Caleb-mr2 »

Would it be a stupid idea to check the gap on the old plug?

I know its been in for a while and I spose that may of affected its gap
cosmos

Plugs

Post by cosmos »

Rev 5 Turbo here spark plugs Denso IK22 colder than the standard Denso IK20 both iridium and both gapped correctly new, not advisable to mess with gaps on iridium plugs. If you apply copperslip anti seize compound on threads only back off torque by 20% standard torque 13ft-lbs (18Nm).
Caleb-mr2

Re: Plugs

Post by Caleb-mr2 »

cosmos wrote:Rev 5 Turbo here spark plugs Denso IK22 colder than the standard Denso IK20 both iridium and both gapped correctly new, not advisable to mess with gaps on iridium plugs. If you apply copperslip anti seize compound on threads only back off torque by 20% standard torque 13ft-lbs (18Nm).

Thanks for the info!
Did a bit of research on both the ngk and the denso. Both have the exact same 0.8mm gap standard, so I'm sure the bkr7eix will be grand hopefully :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”