Pistols MR2 stories... MK1 and 2zz MK3

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Magic Beans

Re: Pistols MR2 stories... Race car and Project car..

Post by Magic Beans »

I did wish you'd gone with the Sex Panther (aka SPANTHER!!!!) though. I had the windscreen decal order ready to go :lol:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Magic Beans wrote:I did wish you'd gone with the Sex Panther (aka SPANTHER!!!!) though. I had the windscreen decal order ready to go :lol:

I know... but i just dont like thee pumas.... thats what it came down to.. they just look naff.. this is cool
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Feam's cage is here.. tucked nicely infront of the car till imget it out to work on it

pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Updates from the ZS forum

So update.. no photos.. i am terrible, i normally have loads of pics.. but when work starts i will
so i now have
new clutch kit
new Koni shocks and sprints
omp lower brace
oil
oil filter
coolant
leads
sparks
discs and pads
Poly bushing and braided lines should be ordered next week
also a set of R888r in 195 50 15 to go on set of wheels i won on ebay for 35£, so worth a try see if they fit and dont rub et40 15x6j

then when i can ill be getting a puma lump to shove in it if i feel the need after the first sprint.. if not ill stick with the trusty 1600, but putting in the 1700 would not change my group in the sprint so probably worth doing once handling is sorted

I am waiting till i have all the suspension and parts infront of me and will do the lot in one go.. so thatll make a nice change to the car in one hit
So new clutch in.. anyone who thinks its a hard job to do or line up.. try doing a mr2.. easy on the fiesta

New suspension was wrong.. ordered for a mk5.. they call the mk6 a mk5 grrr. So now awaiting new correct suspension
Also ordered some braided brake lines..

Full service has been done, new leads plugs and oil.. gotta put in new gearbox oil. Alos found a large coolant leak from pipe to thermostat, just new jubilee clip needed.
Change the induction kit to a bling gold one inhad laying around as one that was on it was horrible, somthats not cost me anything.
Also the oil breather filter was clpgged. Cleaned up and it looks like new.
just getting it all together now..fit the r888rs at the weekend
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Here we go some pics for you..

So first job was strip down and fit the new clutch, cars is on 137K and it was on the original clutch so had done very well

Next up i am putting it all back together with new parts.
First off i changed the Air filter (not yet fitted) but the Green cone that was fitted was covered in Mud and the oil breather was completely blocked.
So changed the cone for a cheap spare i had in the shed (save money where possible) and cleaned up the oil breather came up like new
yes its very gold!!!

Next up, i had ordered mk5 suspension.. nope it came through it was mk6 (they list is as a mk5) grrrr.. so everything was put on hold for a week until new suspension arrived yesterday
so started fitting that up.

Also made up at work a stainless rear strut brace to save some pennies too

i want to fit some RS vents to the Focus. but wanted a test car before i started chopping that up so i fitted a set to the fiesta.. please with how it looks actually!!

Tow points needed for every round so fitted these. working and playing with this car makes me feel 18 again :)

And got the tyres fitted on the wheels

Till tomorrow... the front goes back together..
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

On another note the Focus is now running perfectly after a new O2 sensor
Feam is still in the garage, considering options but it for now will sit there, i need to sort the house, run fiesta and get all bits done on the focus as its my daily its not up to stadard at the mo.
i will then move onto feam when i decide what engine etc, so that won't be till end of year at least, unless i get bored..

the black mk1 has now got after i got the engine out of it..
Ben

Post by Ben »

You've certainly been busy :lol:

Be interesting to see how we get on with the same tyres :twisted:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Is the "Tow" sticker so people don't think you've run over a teeanger and have bits of them wrapped around the rear axle? :mrgreen:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Update for you...

So got the front suspension on, lower arms, front under brace, driveshafts and filled the gearbox
disconnected brake lines ready for braided hoses which ill fit later today or tomorrow

As i had a spare hour yesterday i test fitted both wheels also got the car on the ground to see about ride height.
Was pleased as done it before fitting and only had one corner out by 1/4 inch.. adjust so all level and not too low, and some settling room..
Also few pics of the Lift as was asked for some on the ZS forum..

Pics..

Reason i am changing the brake lines..

and the front suspension

Gearbox jack comes in so handy

Underbrace

more pics when i can get photobucket to work!!
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Are you taking this out on the White Cliffs run? Wait, that sounds like a question, which really it isn't [-( 8)
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

The beasty will come put for that run... theres tunnels..
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Lots of fun this weekend at Kendrew barracks..
cracking course.. and came away with class win

Vid of my fastest lap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox5oEEtLbww&t=94s
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Such a good little car for the money. Proves you don't need to spend big bucks to have fun and go racing :D
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Its such a giggle.. far to much grip for amount of power.. just means you can trow it anywhere at full throttle and giggle
craig

Post by craig »

Glad you're having fun with it mate :D
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Post stolen from MR2ROC

My new daily driver!

Hi All
Some of you may know me, some may not, been in and out of the MR2 community for nearly 20 years now. Been away for a couple of years playing with other cars, including a boxster which was awesome.

I have had several MR2s (and i mean several)
Lost count of how many mk1s, a 269hp (i think it was) supercharger, i built a 3sgte in a mk1. plus many many NA's
MK2's various turbo's and NA's, last one was my last mr2, a Rev 5 NA which started me onto sprinting which i currently do in a RX8, The rev5 was fully stripped and caged.
Only had 2 mk3's a bright yellow (thread on here somewhere) which was my track car in stock form for about a year, and a black one i drove home, found it was bent a sold it in parts.

Fast forward to now, the wife decided i needed something jap (other than the RX8 which i have a love/hate relationship with) in my life and i should get back into mr2's as i know them so well. The hunt began, (I still need to sell my octavia VRS if anyone wants it), I mentioned to a very good friend i was hunting for a base mk3 to have some fun with and to convert to a 2zz, a swap i've always wanted to do.
He passed on that his dad had a good one, but was looking for a cleaner one so wanted to sell
After a few chats and messages, explaining it does need some work (suits me perfectly)
I was heading up to his house, only an hour away. He was brilliant, he told me he didn't want to sell to a friend in case there were issues with it (other than the ones he knew about) etc. but after realizing i was mad as a hatter he knew i was the right person for the car.

The car was better than he had explained, I was happy taking the car home there and then, bonus was we managed to do a deal including the hardtop! eh was the perfect gent, and even managed to buy his new car the next day!

So off i head home, and it really feels godo to be back in a mr2. First time in a face lift and 6 speed, i forgot about 6th gear untill almost home. :-\
Also realised just how low the car is.. it scrapes nearly all the time, and it's just lowered on springs, but that doesn't bother me.. future plans etc
Stopped off for fuel and grabbed these pictures
ImageDSC_0008 by peteandkel, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0011 by peteandkel, on Flickr

Yes it is a private plate on it, and i really like it! , parked up next to the awesome JCW that took me up there

Got home quite late as were chatting for a long time when picking up the car. so headed to bed. The next day i wanted to go play, but as the wife bought me the car i thought i should put up her new bookcases she had bought. Spent all morning putting 7 bookcases together, then before going to get her from work managed to get some daylight photos and a quick poke around the car

ImageDSC_0012 by peteandkel, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0013 by peteandkel, on Flickr
The exhaust sounds epic

ImageDSC_0014 by peteandkel, on Flickr

you can see how low it is
ImageDSC_0015 by peteandkel, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0016 by peteandkel, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0017 by peteandkel, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0036 by peteandkel, on Flickr

Took it up to pick the wife from work.. it was a lot of fun. but defo needs more power >:D

When i picked it up Harry told me his mech had checked the oil leak and it was from the cam cover gasket, which is why i had not worried too much about it.
But when i got home from picking up kelly i found this

ImageDSC_0034 by peteandkel, on Flickr
That's no cam cover leak!! (now anything i find never goes back to harry he told me everything inc the oil leak that he knew about, as in his words "I;m too old to be clambering under cars") hence why he wanted a stock low mileage one not a modded one that needs work like this

I didn't do anything else that day as i'm on nights, so took the wife's car.. Today the fun started
ImageDSC_0035 by peteandkel, on Flickr

First thing i find..
ImageDSC_0037 by peteandkel, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0038 by peteandkel, on Flickr
It's low enough it has been picking up bits of tree!!
ImageDSC_0040 by peteandkel, on Flickr

also why the exhaust looked a little off
ImageDSC_0039 by peteandkel, on Flickr

oil leak found!!
ImageDSC_0041 by peteandkel, on Flickr

cam cover has a slight weep, and it is slight, but ordered a new gasket incase i feel like changing it one day before the 2zz goes in.. I mean i do still need to look after this engine, as when it comes out of here, it will be going into the classic mini

ImageDSC_0042 by peteandkel, on Flickr

As i didn't know when it was last service and oil filter was leaking, might as well do an oil service.
I fitted my HKS oil filter i won in the Toyota sprint series from fensport, in my rev5 back in 2014/15
ImageDSC_0045 by peteandkel, on Flickr

service..
you can see just how loose it was here
https://youtu.be/XCN1C2dp59U
I hadn't touched it before recording that
ImageDSC_0046 by peteandkel, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0049 by peteandkel, on Flickr

also used the spare rubber mount
ImageDSC_0047 by peteandkel, on Flickr

next up i wanted to clean up the under trays of all the oil been sat in them.. So jet wash time
ImageDSC_0050 by peteandkel, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0051 by peteandkel, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0052 by peteandkel, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0053 by peteandkel, on Flickr

Last up, just for my mate Pete i gave the tips a quick (i mean quick) polish up
ImageDSC_0054 by peteandkel, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0056 by peteandkel, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0058 by peteandkel, on Flickr

Lastly as my shed i currently full of a friends house stuff while she is moving i have fitted the hard top back on to stop it getting damaged!

Then used it for work tonight, drove lovely
ImageDSC_0060 by peteandkel, on Flickr
Lots of fun!!

Tomorrow will probably see it cleaned, washed and waxed, also get rid of the horrible toyota locking wheel nuts

that's it for now

first main jobs will be new wheels, and suspension (going to try and keep the 15/16 wheel sizes)

And in case anyone is interested, here is our RX8 in action (mine and my best mate Ben)
ImageIMG_3031 by peteandkel, on Flickr
ImageIMG_2449 by peteandkel, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0636 by peteandkel, on Flickr
Image44881850_10155573907956507_5550608093156474880_n by peteandkel, on Flickr

we took it to spa!!
https://youtu.be/1a0rNkaPkZ0
this is a very early in the day vid, we got a lot faster!!

Lots of sillyness in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nn9WXkPCHU&t
craig

Post by craig »

Nice write up mate, can see me ending up with a MK3 at some point! #-o

Facelift
Black
Hard top
Red leather

8)

Enjoy it! :D
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Good on you Pete, I've still really want to try/own a 2ZZ Mk3..

I've got a 5 door Corolla T Sport here if you're looking for an engine mate.. like the other one you had it's great mechanically but bodywork is a bit untidy. My old man is currently using it whilst I'm trying to find him a nice IS200 Sportcross
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.

Return to “Member Profiles”