Andy's Rev 3 Turbo - Project complete.

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2toby

Re: Andy's Rev 3 Turbo - Project complete.

Post by mr2toby »

Any updates on this project ?

:thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Hiya Toby,

Yeah! So.... It's all done! Almost...

So after a disasterous time with a mix up due to ATS of all people (confirmed) I ended up buying a brand new GT3076 in parts. Not the most cost effective way (read +300 over buying a GTX) but I already had the housings to hand. so bought the CHRA... then needed all the other bits.... :roll: Anyway, we got there in the end. Maybe in the future if it needs a rebuild i'll get a GTX wheel / cover on there.

So Simon at Predator Performance Began the work o....

Plumbing in the new chargecooler,
Installing 1ZZ COPS and MSD tacho converter,
4 bar map sensor,
Brand new GT3076 turbo kit (and re-welding downpipe to suit)
4" Intake
crinkle black cam cover
Remap.

The Engine bay also had lots of the guff cleared out so it looks a lot cleaner, and some further remedial work to relocate the cc pump which was on the lowest point on the car one bad rock or hump and it'd have been yanked off [-X , turned it around to be the right way, and wired to ignition rather than fuel pump so that was also sorted and I couldnt be happier with the standard of work.

This is the only picture I have at the moment so I need to get a better one... but VERY happy.

Sitting at 28psi boost, injectors at 85% duty.

Booked in for a dyno session at Surrey RR on the 3rd June. I estimate 450hp. IAT's are super cool, these cores are superb.

I've got a 335i which is my daily at 382hp and whilst that is brisk, the MR2 is way more fun. Laggier, peakier, louder (and probably slower), but definately much more fun.

Still need the rear main seal replacing on there (gearbox, flywheel & clutch out job) under warranty but life seems to be whizzing away so fast I'm struggling to find the 2 days needed to think about driving 4.5 hours up to Pete's to get it done. It's another 100 quid of fuel too which I just dont have, and �450 tyo get done locally :cry:

Last edited by androo007 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MR2 Turbo Boy

Post by MR2 Turbo Boy »

Roll on the 03.06 - :)

Two 2's over 1000bhp.:):)
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Awesome looking engine bay mate. I think you are local (ish) to me so maybe I will see another red mr2 turbo about just a fair bit quicker as mine at a push is around 300 bhp with the boost turned up!

I know that feeling of struggling for time on the project and money too as have work I need to be done but days turn into weeks and weeks into months before you know it.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

MR2 Turbo Boy wrote:Roll on the 03.06 - :)

Two 2's over 1000bhp.:):)

So How did it Go dude ?
mr2toby

Post by mr2toby »

Excellent build ! Was your car mapped to take advantage of your water/meth injection? Or do you run it for added safety?
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Thanks Toby 8) Just added for safety chap, not mapped in.

Disaster! On the day of the dyno the alternator packed up causing the car to run lean as it wasnt getting the power needed from the fuel pump etc.

Brand new alternator arrived today and will try take 2 in a week or so.

The car may actually be coming up for sale in the near couple of months. I'm moving and have a garage, and always wanted a caterham or Lotus 7 etc...... Seems bonkers when I've just thrown circa £12k at the car but it's an itch i can't scratch at the moment.
Last edited by androo007 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Back in business! New alternator arrived from MR2BEN within 24 hours, fitted the same evening along with a fresh calcium battery.

Jolly good.
MR2 Turbo Boy

Post by MR2 Turbo Boy »

Nice one bud.. :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Back out on the road last night, running like a dream again.

Rolling Road (take 3!) booked for 17th. In the meantime picking up some yellow billies and lowering springs to go on there.
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

androo007 wrote:

The car may actually be coming up for sale in the near couple of months. I'm moving and have a garage, and always wanted a caterham or Lotus 7 etc...... Seems bonkers when I've just thrown circa £12k at the car but it's an itch i can't scratch at the moment.

You can't give up now, you'll forever look back and regret it if you don't get closer to your goal.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I've done the kit car thing. They're brilliant fun, so completely different to anything else you'll drive.

My personal advice would be:

1) Don't buy a Caterham, they're overpriced and no better than any other properly sorted kit.

2) Buy used and from a kit car forum etc. Let someone else spend all the money and sort out the mountain of niggle the inevitably will be. Otherwise you'll spend your whole life under it and never in it. Then when it comes to being able to drive it wet nature will happen! :neutral:

3) BECs (Bike Engined Cars) are awesome fun, especially the decent engine like the Hayabusa lump etc. They are a bit of a thing to live with though. That bike clutch and hyper sensitive throttle makes for some interesting moments in traffic. Stalling with trucks barreling towards you is fun... No reverse means you have to get creative when parking :lol: That noise though and the performance!

If you have the itch for one it's definitely worth doing. Just make sure you're 100% done with the MR2 before you sell it and move on to a kit. I did the same and I chose poorly at the time. No regrets selling the car, I just bought the wrong car afterwards. Then I bought the right car :twisted:
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Car looks great. Must be quite a beast with the power it is making.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Thanks for the advice MB - I passed the opportunity to buy one years ago and kicked myself since! Maybe I could look to extend the garage to accommodate both..... :mrgreen:

Aussie, you may be from a world down under, but make good sense. Once you actually get out in it and forget the cash flowing out your pockets to get there (or even paying twice to get there) it's pure heaven.

Madabout yeah mate I work in Horsham, there's Mac in Worthing who is trying to arrange a Sussex meet, I think there's about 10 of us! I'll keep you posted.

It's quite laggy being a bigger turbo, with the .82 housing it really kicks in at 4k but then it's REALLY going
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Thanks mate. Keep me informed if there is a local Sussex get together. Be good to see your car.
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Just read all 17 pages, very nice to see it all come together and making nice power.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Thanks Dan mate, it's been emotional :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

androo007 wrote:Thanks Dan mate, it's been emotional :lol:

These cars seem to have that common denominator :lol:

Don't give up on it though mate [-( :mrgreen:
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

is it the 17th yet :)
androo007

Post by androo007 »

IT NEEDS TO HURRY UP!

I think between 400-420hp.

Managed to bag some last minute Guns'n'Roses tickets (wish Slash) for Friday so that should make for a kiss-ass weekend!

Return to “Member Profiles”