Knock sensor code 52

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Sbsoulby

Knock sensor code 52

Post by Sbsoulby »

Hi guys,

Bought a car recently, small issue I knew about being the knock sensor, has anyone got a used one that they know is working?
I'll test that before I start changing wiring

Thanks [/list]
Bear87

Re: Knock sensor code 52

Post by Bear87 »

May be an idea if you know which one you need. Rev1 has a different plug and rev 2 and rev 3 have different part numbers. i have had knock sensor issues for ages. just got mine sorted with an ATS Racing knock sensor. if you cant find one give trevor a bell at TCB parts they do non genuine ones but it can be a false economy. Also it is often the cable so worth using a multimeter and checking continuity first as the genuine knock sensors are not cheap! :thumleft:
Sbsoulby

Post by Sbsoulby »

Good point, it's a rev 3, i believe we've checked the continuity already so it's next to try the sensor

What type of problems were you experiencing?
I'll have to get a genuine one or if you recommend the ats racing one I'll have a look into that
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

There is mixed reviews about yhe ats sensor its worth a google! A few of us on here have the ats sensor and hasnt been a problem.
But in comparison its bomb proof. My issues were code 52 (even after i bought a genuine sensor) that was faulty from toyota at £140 the ats was about £85 but i got done by import tax at the post office for an extra £25! the car ran awful, would dump fuel into cylinders and i had extream hesitation when accelerating. Wouldnt even pull in second gear. Mine is a project car currently so had multiple issues along the way. I also replaced the cable it was less than £5 from maplin it basicly microphone cable. But its so so so important that it is earthed correctly or you get interference from the other cables and it can throw a code. Also ensure it hasnt broken because of genuine knock so check timing is @ 10 degrees etc :thumleft:
Last edited by Bear87 on Thu May 18, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sbsoulby

Post by Sbsoulby »

Thanks for that, it's some good info, I'll get out and have a good check, cheers
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

No worries good luck :thumleft:
Sbsoulby

Post by Sbsoulby »

Tcbparts sell a denso knock sensor for £45+vat
Is this likely to be worse than the Toyota one? They tell me they've sold hundreds and they've not had a problem, even for people running higher power, just seems quite cheap compared to the rest
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Sbsoulby wrote:Hi guys,

Bought a car recently, small issue I knew about being the knock sensor, has anyone got a used one that they know is working?
I'll test that before I start changing wiring

Thanks [/list]

I have one in the shed that was working fine when removed from the car (well it wasn't throwing up any error codes), pm me if interested :thumleft:
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Sbsoulby wrote:Tcbparts sell a denso knock sensor for £45+vat
Is this likely to be worse than the Toyota one? They tell me they've sold hundreds and they've not had a problem, even for people running higher power, just seems quite cheap compared to the rest

Personally i would rather buy a second hand genuine one over a new "pattern" type part but i trust what Trevor at TBC says he really knows his stuff.

like i said before i bought from toyota stealership and it was faulty. they are extremely sensitive and dropping it could render it useless. but obviously delivery drivers are super careful with all there packages :^o
Sbsoulby

Post by Sbsoulby »

I'm hoping they wrap it in 10 layers of bubble wrap
Yeah he said he'd choose the denso as he tells me they are they same, and denso make the Toyota one, Toyota put their stamp on and hike up the prices, wether or not this true he seemed to know what he was talking about
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

Ugh the ATS Knock sensor. Just like fitting a bigger fuse when you keep blowing the correct size one.
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

Most Toyota sensors are made by Denso, and there's a good reason for that because Toyota are the principal shareholder in Denso :D

It would be no issue to use the Denso one IMO as long as it's specified the same.
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
Sbsoulby

Post by Sbsoulby »

I'll give the denso one a go then, thanks

Just been out and had a look, the timing seemed to be at 0 degrees, I doubt that would of helped knock under load,
I've reset it back to 10 degrees
Just need to check continuity of the wire after the car cools down, hopefully that will be ok and I'll get a knock sensor ordered Monday
Hopefully that will be it sorted
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

At that money and back up from tbc parts its worth a shot!
bad timing is the most likely cause of knock. but did you test the timing with the wire in the correct diagnostic ports? the engine management light should be flashing before you take the timing readings.

Al-sw20 isnt wrong about the Ats sensor it is known to be less sensitive to knock you have to know that your engine is spot on but even then you live with an increased risk.

Good luck! let us know how you get on! :thumleft:
Sbsoulby

Post by Sbsoulby »

Yeah I tested it with the wire in the diagnostics ports so I should be all good
Sbsoulby

Post by Sbsoulby »

All sorted, new knock sensor today arrived from tcb, fitted and back to its former glory
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

:thumleft: glad to hear it!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”