Sheared Electronic speedo sensor. stuck in the gearbox.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

flex

Sheared Electronic speedo sensor. stuck in the gearbox.

Post by flex »

I bought my rev2 NA with a non working speedo, could make it work by wiggling the connector ontop of the gearbox (i thought). this worked intermittently, and eventually, after around 1000miles of a fully functioning speedo, it stopped working again. noticed it seemed looser, so removed the sensor, except half of it is still in the gearbox. the casting is sheared just below the surface of the hole. Trying to work out how a previous owner/mechanic even managed this.

Is anyone familiar with the construction: i have the electronic part out, with the main shaft part and half the casting stuck in the top of the gearbox. can i pull on the shaft with any force, or will it come out (presumably held in by the gear, or maybe a small circlip)?
I will see if i can get a grip on the casing part, but there's nothing to really grab onto. How hard is it to extract a complete sensor unit from the gearbox normally?

thanks for any help

Felix
mr2magic

Re: Sheared Electronic speedo sensor. stuck in the gearbox.

Post by mr2magic »

The whole sensor usually comes out as one without any problems. Sounds to me like yours had oxidized itself to the gearbox housing. Some heat would break it loose.
caldridge7

Re: Sheared Electronic speedo sensor. stuck in the gearbox.

Post by caldridge7 »

Happened to me worse case scenario is gearbox has to come off.... Not joking but hey stick a new clutch on it why you are there.... Don't mess about with it just do it it... Get a hammer knock it through and get the gearbox off to get it.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”