www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Mk2 2gr supercharged
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 Engine Swaps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PW@Woodsport
IMOC Affiliated Trader

Feedback Score: 29

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Just noticed a wire frame error on the rear arch, it won't have a flat arch top like that, I was lazy with my sketch.

Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

30k ?!!! OMG it is much more than I expected. Not that I have idea, really. But still- WOW!
MRV6
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 V6

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I was over Paula's today and we had a long conversation about the car. Mate you have upped the ante. I like the F40 engine lid, the plans for the wide-wide body and your ideas for the rest of the car. All you have to do now is finish the bloody thing!
PW@Woodsport
IMOC Affiliated Trader

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Ok so I grabbed a cheeky day on the car to make a start on extending the widebody to cover the 12j rims.

The initial plan was to cut and extend the entire quarter and blend it back in, however it had more chance of compromising the overall rigidity doing it that way, so I decided to leave the original structure in place.

I started by grafting the vent area from a Bomex sideskirt (fibreglass rather than some plastic composite Toyota use) into the original TRD vent area, this gave me my starting lines and coverage on the front edge of the tyre.

From that I temporarily used some 3mm ply that curved really nicely from the vent over to the rear bumper, this was aligned 10mm from the planned finished surface. 10mm of P40 was then laid up over that area to give it structure and a basic shape.

After several hours of basic body profiling the new extended quarter shape has started to emerge and final shaping using Upol "Fantastic" has started, which is 2-3mm thick at its deepest point.

It is going to take several weeks per corner to get the final shape right, but very happy with it so far. As you can see the wing top edge is very sharp right now, that is just a result of the body file meeting at two faces and allows me to get the downslope and front face contours perfect. The final wing edge will be rounded off like the original TRD is, although I do like the pin sharp edge I can't bring myself to leave it like that.

You can see in the pic below how the sideskirt now has a nice flick out which starts near the door post, and I've also decided not to extend the original vent centre bar, it looks better inboard and makes the vent look deeper (which of course it is).

From the rear you can now see the added width on the right, you might remember from last year the lights have already been moved outboard and new wider centre panel made, the light recesses will not need to be redone as part of the widebody extending.

You can also see I have started to make the new ducktail design, my previous Autopista design was too over fussy in the end, I want a more exotic, cleaner look. The ducktail has been bonded and temporarily screwed for now, but will be totally flush blended into the extended TRD boot, this also means I can change designs/spoiler in future without it affecting the rest of the car.

For me this new design works much better with the F40 lid and ties in nicely with the rear diffuser.

The F40 lid is going to get the lowest centre vent altered, that will incorporate a brake light unit but not as wide as it is now, the lid also needs a complete frame, rain channel and rain trays making for it along with being hinged and gas struts added.

The TRD rear bumper lower "swages" have also bothered me, in fact I really don't like the design there (the scalloped out bits either side of the diffuser) , I think those areas would look much better blended out with maybe just a small swage left at the bottom, undecided on that one for now.

So yeah, an insane amount of work all happening at the same time, but I have a set vision for it now which will be seen through to completion.
PW@Woodsport
IMOC Affiliated Trader

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Some more time spent on the new duck tail design, this works perfectly for me from a styling point of view.

Still an awful lot to do of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 Engine Swaps All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
Page 23 of 23

Jump to: