Loose streering

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

IanClements

Re: Loose streering

Post by IanClements »

I wouldn't have thought old tyres would have been a problem and ball joints should last ages, just check for any play in them.

Do you track your car regularly? I only ask because I have BC's on my car and wish I'd bought another set of Koni's to be honest because coilovers are just too hard for UK roads.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Hi Ian, no I don't, not yet.

What spring rates did you go for?
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

I got 4Kg front and 6Kg back which is the softest they will give you. They're not too bad generally but I hit a pot hole in February and it bent the arms on on one corner (replaced now) and it hasn't been right since.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:

Even though my tyres have plenty of tread, they are a bit old now, so thinking that is not helping the situation...

Check how old the tyres are. When I checked my AE86 the tyres were 8 years old! Tyres generally lose their goodness after two years or so. There'll be a date stamp something like for example, '2316'. So 23rd week of 2016.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

over 8 years old...
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Has the preload on been set properly on the coilovers? 4/6KG BC's shouldn't be that bad.

As Lauren says after a couple years or so tyres will deteriorate a little depending on conditions. High performance track rubber will deteriorate quicker especially soft compound tyres.

Generally if a tyre is more than 5 years old you should replace it regardless of tread depth or condition.
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

Has the preload on been set properly on the coilovers? 4/6KG BC's shouldn't be that bad.

They come with the pre-load set to about 3mm I think and I've stuck with it. They're OK most of the time but every so often I hit a bump and flinch wondering what damage it's done. The other types of aftermarket springs tend to be slightly softer (more like 3/5Kg) with a progressive wind which has a little bit of give.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Each time I go over a bump on my koni's it feels the same as what you are describing.

Sorry to hijack sort of, but would a stiffer spring rate be better for a 4AGZE conversion due to more weight on the rear?
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

Sorry to hijack sort of, but would a stiffer spring rate be better for a 4AGZE conversion due to more weight on the rear?

I got a V6 in mine and it didn't really make much difference to the handling balance generally so I wouldn't worry about it.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

IanClements wrote:They're not too bad generally but I hit a pot hole in February and it bent the arms on on one corner (replaced now) and it hasn't been right since.

Problem has got to be related to that, surely?
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

You've changed the track rod ends, but have you changed the inner tie rods?

I did have my suspension checked out a few months ago and I remember it was noted that the inner tie rod was worn on the nearside. But as I was using it as an emergency vehicle or spare, I wouldn't bother to replace it until I did my engine change...
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

My tie rods are only a couple of years old and I can't find any play so I think they're OK.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:over 8 years old...

Only fit for the bin I'm afraid.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

date on my tyres related to march 2003...

I am now torn between Toyo R1Rs or AD08s by Yoko.

I've had the Yokos before where I covered a lot of mileage and i'm not doing that sort of mileage at all as my policy is covering me for 4,000.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

2003, wow, time for a new set of boots then. ;)

Toyo's are no good to be frank. Tried them once and they just ruined the handing of the DC2 I had at the time. Too soft on the sidewalls. I have no idea why people think they are any good. Guessing it's because they are a bit of a budget tyre. Better than TDF's I suppose.

AD08R's won't have that problem. Depends if you want a track orientated tyre, they will be noisy on the road and reduce ride comfort. I stuck Michelin PS3's on the AE86, sidewall is too soft and there is just too much grip, so I wouldn't get those again. This was in 195/50/15s. The trouble is there is so little choice in that size.
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

I just put AD08's on the front of mine and they outgrip the Uniroyal's I have on the back although obviously I haven't been able to test them out properly yet.

I've had several sets of Uniroyal RainSport 3's and do like them, not grippy but progressive, comfortable, cheap(ish) and good in the wet.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Lauren wrote:

Toyo's are no good to be frank. Tried them once and they just ruined the handing of the DC2 I had at the time. Too soft on the sidewalls. I have no idea why people think they are any good. Guessing it's because they are a bit of a budget tyre. Better than TDF's I suppose.

R1R's, not T1R's.

T1R's are OK for the money. They're an old design now, a lot of their reputation comes from when they were first launched and there simply wasn't anything close to them for the money. Things have changed now of course.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Lauren wrote:2003, wow, time for a new set of boots then. ;)

AD08R's won't have that problem. Depends if you want a track orientated tyre, they will be noisy on the road and reduce ride comfort. I stuck Michelin PS3's on the AE86, sidewall is too soft and there is just too much grip, so I wouldn't get those again. This was in 195/50/15s. The trouble is there is so little choice in that size.

Like I said I've run AD08s before and I thought they were great. Having too much grip is not an issue as I am spinning up in 2nd in the dry, the more grip the better. I am not looking to go sideways, looking for max grip.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

Lauren wrote:2003, wow, time for a new set of boots then. ;)

I love my Toyos they were brilliant on the MK1, kept grip and provided plenty of feedback. they may have not been suitable for your DC2 but that is an entirely different vehicle to be honest, so the comparison is hardly fair.

The other thing to remember tyres are like suspension and wheel choice, its what suits the individual driver. This is why we have different tyres, what works for one person's preferred driving style works differently for someone else. Otherwise we would all have the same tyres and not have options.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I'll be replacing the entire front end suspension wise in the next few weeks plus 4 tyres, so that should sort the issue, along with tie rod and arb bushes.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”