[Mk2] [Turbo] rust rust rust - your opinions

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rossonza
Premium Member

[Mk2] [Turbo] rust rust rust - your opinions

Post by rossonza »

So ive managed to get some time to have a prod....

thoughts on the rust? i initially planned to cut out sections to replace using a mrben replacement inners and outers. however i ended up goings the wholesill length. both sides look the same.

I wondered if its worth putting time/money into this shell, or locating a non rusty shell.

ill let the pictures do the talking:

this is from prodding with a screw driver:

this is after i cut back the metal with my trusty angle grinder:

thanks
Ross. :thumleft: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :o
Madabout

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] rust rust rust - your opinions

Post by Madabout »

I have just carried out rust repairs to mine. Sills on mine were ok as reads had been done previously. Worse on mine was the rear inner arches then leading behind rear bumper. I had cut out and replaced with good metal.

Lucky on the sills you can buy the full length outer sills from mr2Ben as you say. I would double check your rear inner arches before making any decision. I looked at another mr2 before buying mine and that had rusty sills both sides like yours and the inner rear arches could also be poked through.

If they are all ok if you fix then you know it's all good for a while. Unless you get lucky with a fresh imported shell they will all need doing at some stage so a reshell may only delay the rust repairs IMO.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Madabout wrote:I have just carried out rust repairs to mine. Sills on mine were ok as reads had been done previously. Worse on mine was the rear inner arches then leading behind rear bumper. I had cut out and replaced with good metal.

Lucky on the sills you can buy the full length outer sills from mr2Ben as you say. I would double check your rear inner arches before making any decision. I looked at another mr2 before buying mine and that had rusty sills both sides like yours and the inner rear arches could also be poked through.

If they are all ok if you fix then you know it's all good for a while. Unless you get lucky with a fresh imported shell they will all need doing at some stage so a reshell may only delay the rust repairs IMO.

Hi Madabout,

rear arches are absolutely fine, its literally just the sills which have rusted so i think im ok (i prodded very hard with a screwdriver).

i was looking at buying the inner bits and the full length outer. do 1 side at a time to make it more manageable.

this is all true, id rather keep this on the road, so i think my decisions made. always love a good project (at least its summer).

cheers!
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

I'd take a look at that door as well, bottom of that doorskin doesn't look too hopeful.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

tiff_lee wrote:I'd take a look at that door as well, bottom of that doorskin doesn't look too hopeful.

the door was opened into a lampost by previous owner, ill be replacing the whole door. for now im concentrating on the sills :P

Return to “Mechanical”