[Mk2] [Turbo] Project in right direction! update - happy happy happy.

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Bear87

[Mk2] [Turbo] Project in right direction! update - happy happy happy.

Post by Bear87 »

Hey guys! so im sure you have come across my multiple posts on my rev2 turbo project.
My main issues were knock sensor, over fuelling and smoke (raw fuel) from the exhaust.

Today i am a very happy boy indeed!

Without trying to make this too long and boring here is the history.
Car was previously owned by a friend of a friend as a fresh import. immaculate rust free rev2 gts in red.
in 2006 he blew the gearbox had it rebuilt with top end internals ect
while the car was in he decided to rebuild the engine....he went a bit over the top as im not sure money was an issue.
Long story short boy meets girl, moves to another country and didnt understand that he would be charged storage fees at the garage. In 2014 i was offered the car for a very reasonable price although it had been dry stored but was in bits.
The issue is the engine builder had moved on from the company and the only info i had as to what had been done was from the chap who then was an apprentice.
So here is what i "think" i know about the engine.
Forged pistons (confirmed), Brian crowler cams (confirmed), blitz downpipe, upgraded exhaust, ct26 hybrid turbo,1 bar actuator, knife edged, balanced and polished crank, samco hose kit, stage 3 clutch, quaife lsd? im not sure if this is really a thing couldnt find much info on it, arp head studs, acl bearings, fpr, apexi induction filter, tvis removal, upgraded water pump, magnacor ht leads
I know the engine buid was designed/blueprinted by carnoisseur in southend on sea but thats where my trail runs dry.

So since then after putting it back together it got its first ever run. And it ran like a dog! multiple error codes plumes of smoke, exhaust blows. But none the less tried to get her run in as had been advised.

This wasn't my first mr2 i will add, had both n/a and turbos in the past and im fairly confident working on older cars. The biggest issue ive had is i started a business at the same time as getting this car so lack of money and especially time has dragged this project out.

So... i have slowly been working my way through the faults on the car. on the way have replaced cam pulleys with hks verniers, hks cam belt, afm, hks fcd, lambda sensor, coolant temp sensor, replaced seized fuel pump, dizzy cap, rotor arm, ignitor, coil, ht leads, ngk bkr7es plugs, ecu x2 (dont ask), aux belt and a genuine knock sensor. that is where the problems began.

So error code 52 would just not go away. new ecu, new cable, new genuine knock sensor...... didn't add up! the car would not drive, the plugs flooded within seconds, rough running, no power at all and still bellowing smoke!

eventually i have managed to save for a new ATS knock sensor. Today i fitted it.

I am one happy happy boy the car runs a million times better, its not destroying spark plugs and it goes like a bat out of hell with a firework up its rear end. :mrgreen:

Its still blowing smoke but now i feel i have got somewhere and its really given me the boost i needed to push on with the rest of the project.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has helped me get to this point on IMOC i would have given up a long time ago without the help and support :thumleft:
i owe you all a beer guys take me up on it when i get to my first meet in the car :lol:

So just the smoke to deal with. Im hoping it may just need running in. Im running some millers glaze busting oil to hopefully give it a chance. it still could mean engine has to come apart but keeping my fingers crossed. I cant get a m.o.t with its current emissions so running it in is gonna be a issue. suggestions?
im considering popping it into my local shop if i cant get any further but for today i am as happy as a bear in a bees nest.

:D

Return to “Mechanical”