[Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch won't disengage

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

DaveWS

[Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch won't disengage

Post by DaveWS »

Hi all. I have an issue with my clutch, it won't disengage. The first time it happened I was at some traffic lights and suddenly I was unable to select 1st gear, so had to start restart the engine in gear and rev-match to get home. I then bled the clutch and this fixed things, so I assumed either the slave or master had leaked.

It's then since happened several more times, only this time it seems like something else. I've tried bleeding it, I've adjusted the pedal for maximum depression (highest bite point), and the pedal feels heavy like it should, but still the clutch won't disengage.

Any ideas? Thanks!
2tmike

clutch

Post by 2tmike »

sounds very much like the master cylinder.......
DaveWS

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch won't disengage

Post by DaveWS »

Thanks for the reply. I think it's probably something within the clutch itself, because the slave pushrod stays extended when the clutch is held, and total movement is around 15-20mm (at a guess). Time to take it to a garage I guess. :(
mr2magic

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch won't disengage

Post by mr2magic »

Does it only happen when the engine is warmed up? I had something similar once. The seals in the slave cylinder were old and would deform under pressure when warm. That meant my clutch would crap out on me every time it got hot in the engine bay.

Return to “Mechanical”