[Mk2] [Turbo] Stalling problem and very low idle

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Sparkie 86

[Mk2] [Turbo] Stalling problem and very low idle

Post by Sparkie 86 »

Hi all I will thank anyone's advice in advance.
My rev3 turbo which I have owned for 9 years and trouble free motoring has started to play up after being stood for a year or so. I garaged the car as it wasn't gething used. I replaced the alternator as it knackered then the car started straight away after being in storage.The car has a real low idle if at all and stalls from cold and even hot. I gave the car a good run and every junction and roundabout it would stall as soon as you dipped the clutch. Any ideas?
I have checked boost hoses ect. I have read something about throttle position sensor on a older model. Unsure if it applies to mine.
Thanks again to any reply.
Simon
almeida1234

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Stalling problem and very low idle

Post by almeida1234 »

Check the butterfly valve, it could need cleaning out, carb cleaner or manifold cleaner will do the trick.
Is the engine standard?
Any error codes?
Sparkie 86

Post by Sparkie 86 »

Cheers I will give that ago. Fairly standard just the usual, air filter, exhaust. Decat, intercooler, electronic boost controller. I havnt checked for error codes yet. Was just confused why it would play up just being stood up.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Sticking IACV would be my first port of call I think. Remove the throttle body, remove the IACV and clean it out. You can test it by with a 12V battery, check the BGB for the pin outs. Probably wise to replace the gasket too.
Sparkie 86

Post by Sparkie 86 »

I will take a look at that thank you. Sorry to sound stupid but what Is a BGB?
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Has the car got fresh fuel? The fuel tank can varnish when left a while and clogs alot of stuff up.
Probably not likely as its when you dip the clutch. Have you checked all the vac hoses behind the inlet manifold etc?
Sparkie 86

Post by Sparkie 86 »

Yea put fresh high octane fuel in. No different. It runs fine upto the redline. Just at low speed you dip the clutch it stalls. I checked hoses they all seem OK.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Sticking IACV would be my first port of call I think. Remove the throttle body, remove the IACV and clean it out. You can test it by with a 12V battery, check the BGB for the pin outs. Probably wise to replace the gasket too.

+1
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

bgb is toyotas big green book evertything you need to know many links here or on mr2oc or just google it, hanes manual but a lot better
If you see an MR2 with a raised engine cover, the bottom line is it's probably faster than your car.
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

think shinny (google it) has almost everything you would want
first post if you google shinny mr2
If you see an MR2 with a raised engine cover, the bottom line is it's probably faster than your car.

Return to “Mechanical”