5SGTE Build Complete

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

C35Rob

Re: 5SGTE Build Complete

Post by C35Rob »

I'll definitely be at the next one (jun 10th), after that it's likely I'll be away working till the end of the year

it's in the toys'r'us/mcdonalds/pizza hut parking area

there's a faceache page too, should you be on there.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Metrocen ... 66?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/MetrocentreCruiseNight?fref=ts
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Ill check it out mate, look out for me there next month

Graeme
J-1

Post by J-1 »

Any more progress / updates?
J-1

Post by J-1 »

Any updates on this? Keen to see any recent developments!
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Sorry I dont really keep up on the forums anymore, waiting for a replacement head gasket at the moment due to a premature failure, if anyone is interested or wants info im best off being contacted through PM

Thanks for the interest

Graeme
MaryWard

Post by MaryWard »

Impressive! Really great job!
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

A few people have asked for updates on this, I am always modifying and changing things around but unfortunately don't have much time for the forums anymore, I have a recent video if you hasve 4 minutes of your life to waste.

https://youtu.be/_rhvKpD6xpc

Thanks
Graeme
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

Did you do all that in a day lol thats the way to do it. Did you use the top hat style head washers. Crazy power to tame when it's all down to just your right foot :)
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Over a few days, time constraints are always waiting for parts to come from the states. Yes using the hats from hux racing :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Frustrating you're not on here anymore dude. Although looking at past threads I can see why. However the Peter Gidden brigade are no longer on here and the site could seriously do with members like you so give it a think over! A wee build thread would do the site wonders!
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

seriously impressive engine, a good use of 4 minutes of my time watching that, the music build up was pretty neat too :thumleft:
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Thanks, I have learnt over the years there are so many conflicting ideas on what works and what does not. And the arguments it causes can be crazy on here. I'll try and be on more and I usually reply to people that pm me. I'll never get rid of my car, thought about it a few times but this last 10 years it hasn't crossed my mind once, even when I have had multiple issues. It's part of owning a high powered mr2 with a 3sgte based engine, even 5sgte.

Anyone that thinks buying a 5s block will be the end of your woes for 500+hp is seriously mistaken. Always plan ahead and have funds for possible issues.

Graeme
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

yeah that's very true, the internet is awash with er knowledge and facts but much fewer actual evidence based points of view. I'd still have my own rev3 turbo but the rust killed it and I dont trust getting another clean one (nor do I have the skills to do the work myself) but it's always good reading about how others are taking their cars further. :thumleft: People splitting 5S blocks, that's news :(
shane34
Premium Member

Post by shane34 »

Good to see some posts. Keen to here some of your experiences

Out of interest what issues have you had with your 500+ 5s setup. I'm currently 569bhp on a 3s, low tourqe,progressive boost with meth. It fly's.
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Mine has had some rust which I have had to sort, and I have some more that will need cutting out and replacing in a year or so.

I have had some head lift issues, the block has been fine, what I mean is, there are still plenty of things to go wrong at high power, it's always a risk.

Building a high power engine and making the power is one thing, having it at a reliable level is another. These are 2 litre engines, it's always a challenge. Formula one teams blow engines up, I'm building in my garage as alot of us are. I enjoy the challenge, it has its difficult moments, but it's rewards are worth it
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I don't think anyone on here can argue with any of your decisions. You are probably the most experienced member on here when it comes to high power mr2s.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Theres pretty much nobody on here to argue with anymore anyway!

Love the timelapse stuff, I wish I had the skills to do all that! :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

^Trickster^ wrote:A few people have asked for updates on this, I am always modifying and changing things around but unfortunately don't have much time for the forums anymore, I have a recent video if you hasve 4 minutes of your life to waste.

https://youtu.be/_rhvKpD6xpc

Thanks
Graeme

Great that you're still at it, always enjoyed your approach to these cars: looks like she's going well still....I love that you can get the engine back in with the manifolds on- certainly makes things cleaner 8)
chrisE

Post by chrisE »

Last edited by chrisE on Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Thanks for the comments, if I didn't do the work myself I wouldn't be able to on the car tbh, I couldn't of afforded all the labour over the years!

I have asked alot of questions and harassed alot of people along the way for advice etc, I have alot of people to thank believe me!

Graeme

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”