www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
knock sensor

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
autobody
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9

1988 Toyota MR2 Mk1 SC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: knock sensor Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Question for the SC owners - is there any other knock sensor that will work with the 4agze?

I am getting a error code 52 and I am unable to find a replacement, I have contacted Toyota and been told its discontinued, this is the part number I have 89615-17010.

I think it may be a case of holding out for a used one but I would be interested to know what others have done.

p.s. if you do have a spare knock sensor I will be happy to buy it. [thumleft]
kaiowas

Feedback Score: 10

1985 Toyota MR2 Mk1a

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

TCB sell various knock sensors for Toyotas, I'm pretty sure one of them will be the right one although none of them are listed for the 4A-GZE

Think it might be the QIC 916 although it's probably best to give them a call and check rather than ordering one blindly.
autobody
Premium Member

1988 Toyota MR2 Mk1 SC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Thanks, just given tcb a call and are currently checking if it fits.
autobody
Premium Member

1988 Toyota MR2 Mk1 SC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

TCB have said the QIC 916 knock sensor will not work as it has different frequency readings. They don't stock 4agze knock sensors.

But I have now got a second hand unit. (Hope it works) I am going to temp to fit this in on Sunday.

Can I ask if other have done this job what was required? Is it accessable under the car? Do I need to remove any items to get to the knock sensor. Any tips appreciated. [thumleft]
kaiowas

Feedback Score: 10

1985 Toyota MR2 Mk1a

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

From memory it should be easy enough and accessible from underneath without removing anything although some contortion may be required, you should certainly be able to get the socket on, I just can remember how easy it is to find enough space to swing a ratchet. Oh and make sure you have a deep socket of the appropriate size, a standard socket won't cut it.

Also take care with the wiring/connector when unplugging the old one. Not sure if I've just been unlucky but all the GZE looms I've had have been particularly fragile in this area.
autobody
Premium Member

1988 Toyota MR2 Mk1 SC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Update: replacment knock sensor fitted and looks to have done the trick. I have a small coolent leak at the front so only took the car behind my house. Drives much much better and no engine light.

To confirm, 27mm deep socket used and a small extension. Found I had just about enough room.

Thanks for your help kaiowas [thumleft]
autobody
Premium Member

1988 Toyota MR2 Mk1 SC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Here is a pic of the knock sensor.

Both had Toyota markings on them. The top one came off the car and the bottom one was a replacement. Look similar but the bottom one was longer slightly.

jayelem

Feedback Score: 0

1989 Toyota MR2 Mk1 SC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

could do with one myself!
jon_st205

Feedback Score: 3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Let me dig around, I'm sure I have one somewhere.
jayelem

1989 Toyota MR2 Mk1 SC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

ive even crossed my balls in hope!
jayelem

1989 Toyota MR2 Mk1 SC

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Bank holiday bump!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: