CT26 vs. CT20 Turbo Support bracket

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MartinF

CT26 vs. CT20 Turbo Support bracket

Post by MartinF »

Can somebody confirm for me whether the CT26 and the CT20 turbo support brackets are different.

I just tried to bolt up my original bracket to the CT20 that i have just fitted and it's miles out. Assuming the brackets are different.

If they are you can predict a 'Wanted' thread from me :D
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
SonicSW20

Re: CT26 vs. CT20 Turbo Support bracket

Post by SonicSW20 »

Part numbers are different:

Gen2 - http://japan-parts.eu/toyota/jp/1992/mr ... fold#17293

17293-88381

Gen3 - http://japan-parts.eu/toyota/jp/1996/mr ... fold#17293

17293-88481

That would suggest there is a difference!
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

Thanks
Blue Lexus RCF
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

So just for future reference here is a picture of a Rev1 turbo bracket next to a Rev3 one, quite different.

However don't bother trying to fit a Rev3 turbo bracket onto your CT20 on a Rev1 engine as the holes on the engine block are also in a different location :cry:
Blue Lexus RCF
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

My engine is missing the support bracket, I as going to source one but I read on several threads that people just ditch them anyway?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Good info!

Not sure if I'd want to run without them personally. If it was absolutely fine without it then why would Toyota have bothered putting it there in the first place?
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Good info!

Not sure if I'd want to run without them personally. If it was absolutely fine without it then why would Toyota have bothered putting it there in the first place?

Perhaps they over engineered it I dunno, ever heard of a log manifold cracking?
You could apply that logic to half the mods done on these cars though yet there is plenty of things changed from the Toyota spec.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

There's a difference between replacing with an uprated, modified, or non standard item and just removing something that was there for a reason IMO. If it wasn't required then that's less materials used, less time on assembly etc.
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

I'm not happy to go without something long term as I will have a lot of the weight from the exhaust hanging off the turbo, which i don't think is such a good idea.

Will see what i can knock up.
Blue Lexus RCF
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Looks like a fairly simple shape so I'm sure someone with more skills than myself could make something suitable :thumleft:
kennym

Post by kennym »

tiff_lee wrote:
Gazza_DJ wrote:Good info!

Perhaps they over engineered it I dunno, ever heard of a log manifold cracking?
You could apply that logic to half the mods done on these cars though yet there is plenty of things changed from the Toyota spec.

The whole concept (to me) of modifying is to make things lighter & doing away with over engineered parts many of which are required for the longevity of a production car but not the 30 laps or so a track car does befor its inspected/repaired, there are dozens of standard parts which are removed, reduced or not needed, admittedly there are dozens of parts that are added or uprated.

You have to use your own judgment for my intended use i wouldn't be fitting this part.

Kennym
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

When a big turbo is put on a standard manifold, none of these brackets will fit anyway and they obviously dont come with an alternative, they cope just fine :thumleft: so im sure the standard turbo would be no different
kennym

Post by kennym »

Dale_V wrote:When a big turbo is put on a standard manifold, none of these brackets will fit anyway and they obviously dont come with an alternative, they cope just fine :thumleft: so im sure the standard turbo would be no different

This
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Dale_V wrote:When a big turbo is put on a standard manifold, none of these brackets will fit anyway and they obviously dont come with an alternative, they cope just fine :thumleft: so im sure the standard turbo would be no different

you say big, but probably weigh less than the stock one.

i saved a number of KGs fitting a TD06 over my old CT20b.

Personally i think the brackets are there to help support the heavy CAT, once the cat is gone, a downpipe bracket is probably more than enough.

:-k
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Fair point about the cat. That has two sizeable brackets from the factory as well.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

jimGTS wrote:

you say big, but probably weigh less than the stock one.

i saved a number of KGs fitting a TD06 over my old CT20b.

Personally i think the brackets are there to help support the heavy CAT, once the cat is gone, a downpipe bracket is probably more than enough.

:-k

Big in the sense of an upgrade. similar to the reference of bigger injectors. however they're physically the same size as oem.

I should probably have just used the term, aftermarket.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Fair do's :eye: :oldtongue:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”