Dist end cam cap bolts.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

stecad

Dist end cam cap bolts.

Post by stecad »

Need to replace the distributor O-ring and get the dist off to clean it up.
Had a first go at releasing the bolts but stuck solid. Actually sheared the torx bit but the bolts still OK - Phew.
Bolts now soaking in Ease-it and giving them a sharp tap with the hammer each time I pass the engine (it's out of the car currently).

Typical mild steel into alloy. Any hints/tips to loosen as this will need a degree of finesse rather than the usual brute force and heat.

MR2 Mk II, Rev II, 3SGTE
Dale_V

Re: Dist end cam cap bolts.

Post by Dale_V »

I dont remove the cap, Just undo the 2 bolts holding the dizzy on and slide it out of the head.
stecad

Post by stecad »

Thanks.
I'd been told they need to be loosened to allow it to come out. It seemed a bit tight so will try again.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

definitley not, it'll come out just fine
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

The caps are only 20NM or something aren't they? Surprised you managed to snap a torx bit in there!
stecad

Post by stecad »

Spot on with the torque but mild steel bolts into alloy, time & corrosion are never a good combo. I see it a lot when I'm renovating motorbikes.
Hopefully the dizzy does pull out. The main bolts are loose but it didn't seem to want to come out.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Of course, if it's that bad though I wouldn't hold out much hope for the threads in the head to be in very good shape... currently going through that with exhaust manifold studs :(
stecad

Post by stecad »

My manifold came off OK. That was after a few days of soaking with Ease-it and tapping with a hammer. All the nuts came off fine (first time ever). Only had 2 stuck/stripped ones so far on this rebuild - the bolt for the stay on the turbo and the bolt on the coolant manifold. Managed to recover both with taps & dies.
Even the suspension has been OK but again lots of soaking in Ease it then a bit of heat.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

I had this on an na engine i was stripping. I ended up taking a dremmel with a thin cutting disc and under cutting the head of the bolts to ease any clamping force, then cutting 2 flats on the side of the heads and using a spanner.
stecad

Post by stecad »

Cheers. Tight - but came out without having to undo the bolts. Happy days. Dizzy polished up nicely and new seal fitted. Plenty of assembly oil and slid back in nicely. Dremels are very useful for cutting and creating slots in stuck bolts - used that trick many times. :D :D
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

:wink:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”