1994 MR2 GT turbo T-bar

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

craig

Re: 1994 MR2 GT turbo T-bar

Post by craig »

Madabout wrote:I looked at a couple of MR2s for sale with the Celica wheel fitted and it does look good. Nice work.

Magic Beans wrote:The wheel fits perfectly with the rest of the interior :D

When did those seats go in?! I must have lost track at some point during one of your annual complete re-stylings :mrgreen:

Thanks - comments appreciated! :thumleft:

I'm happy with the wheel, feels great, just have to find the time to take the car out!

Phil - seats went into the car December 2015, so going on for 2 years ago! Where's that time gone? :shock:

Coming up, is the car going into YVS for its yearly service & MOT.
craig

Post by craig »

Another small (probably uninteresting) update, just to keep the thread up to date.

Bit of history:

I used to have my Blitz boost controller in the clock housing. I had a 52mm hole spare, so put a Stack 52mm clock in the a-pillar pod (as there was no longer a clock in the car).

I was never keen on boost controller here, as it wasn't the tidiest of jobs!

I relocated the bc out of sight and put the factory clock back in. This left me with 2 clocks in the car :lol:

I had a search around the net and came across a 52mm blanking plate for a tenner, I got it ordered and it has since arrived. I removed the 52mm clock from the a-pillar pod, and added the blanking plate. Much tidier than having a pointless clock there.

If I ever want to fit another gauge, I have the option. Unlikely though as I currently have:

1. Boost
2. Oil Temp
3. Tyre Pressure
4. Radiator Water Temp
5. Volts
6. Air/Fuel ratio
7. Oil Pressure

I think that's enough :lol:
Last edited by craig on Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

You need a gauge to tell you to stop driving like a f@nny :gayfight:
craig

Post by craig »

Dale_V wrote:You need a gauge to tell you to stop driving like a f@nny :gayfight:

Last time I didn't drive like a fanny I got banned. :lol:
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

:lol: :lol: :eye:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

craig wrote:
Madabout wrote:I looked at a couple of MR2s for sale with the Celica wheel fitted and it does look good. Nice work.

Magic Beans wrote:The wheel fits perfectly with the rest of the interior :D

When did those seats go in?! I must have lost track at some point during one of your annual complete re-stylings :mrgreen:

Thanks - comments appreciated! :thumleft:

I'm happy with the wheel, feels great, just have to find the time to take the car out!

Phil - seats went into the car December 2015, so going on for 2 years ago! Where's that time gone? :shock:

Coming up, is the car going into YVS for its yearly service & MOT.

You're using Simon now? :thumleft:
No 2 :(
craig

Post by craig »

MR2 Rich wrote:You're using Simon now? :thumleft:

That's right buddy. All future work on the car will be done by YVS. They certainly come highly recommended. :thumleft:
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

That is a fair few gauges you have already :lol:. Sometimes it is the simple jobs like this that add to the build, etc.
craig

Post by craig »

benjo wrote:Car looks well :thumleft:

Cheers fella, just hope all goes well with the MOT coming up next. The car has also developed a knocking coming from the front on cornering which needs sorting.
benjo

Post by benjo »

I've just been through that car is burning lots of oil and thought it might
Fail emissions,I don't want to spend on my engine as I'm waiting to go v6,
If it had failed I was Gona take it to my mates in York until it's time to go to
Woodsport,
Too weird to live, to rare to die
craig

Post by craig »

benjo wrote:I've just been through that car is burning lots of oil and thought it might
Fail emissions,I don't want to spend on my engine as I'm waiting to go v6,
If it had failed I was Gona take it to my mates in York until it's time to go to
Woodsport,

V6 sounds nice. Which one you going for? 3VZ, 1MZ or 2GR?

I've had so much crap with these cars over the years, I sometimes question why I still own one.
benjo

Post by benjo »

Lol yep because euro boxes are boring going for 1mz vvti I'd like 2gr
But it's just too much money especially when it's just a toy
I've spent thousands over the years but I don't sit in pub all weekend
p1$$ing it up wall so at least I've got a car to show for all that money :thumleft:
Too weird to live, to rare to die
craig

Post by craig »

Well, not good news!

Took the car to YVS today for what should have been a routine service and MOT......

Got a phone call around midday, which was rather depressing!

Simon got the car 6ft in the air on his ramps:

His findings are as follows:

1. Previous repair to o/s/r sill is poor and has holes in it and requires doing properly.

2. Back of o/s/r sill corroded and requires welding.

3. Bolt missing from driveshaft support bracket - looks to be snapped off in the block :pale:

4. N/s/f and n/s/r Ohlins struts leaking oil.

5. Both front arms - bolts finger tight.

6. N/s/f front chassis rail corroded and requires welding.

7. O/s/f brake pipe corroded.

8. Exhaust showing carbon deposits between decat and exhaust flexi. Requires new gasket or nipping up.

9. Handbrake cable support/guide and rear undertray require securing.

And that's it. Gutted.
:cry:

I've since bought some 2nd hand Tein coilovers to replace the ohlins.

All being well, the coilovers and everything (inc full service) bar the welding will be done this week.

Welding will be done in time for MOT.

Oh well, such is life....
Last edited by craig on Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
craig

Post by craig »

All that corrosion and it was a bare shell rebuild including prep, get rid of any rust and protect.

Car lives in my garage. Only comes out on dry days!!

That rear sill should never have passed an MOT.

How it is rusty is beyond me. Car was built in 2014. The car is now in good hands.
Last edited by craig on Tue May 16, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Yikes! :shock:

On a positive note, it does mean that once these issues have been sorted it will truly be a minter. They aren't huge issues too, frustrating nonetheless :(
craig

Post by craig »

Magic Beans wrote:Yikes! :shock:

On a positive note, it does mean that once these issues have been sorted it will truly be a minter. They aren't huge issues too, frustrating nonetheless :(

It is frustrating mate. Even more frustrating that it should have been done when the shell was bare and it was being prepped and protected.

Now I'm having to pay more money for a welder to make the shell MOT worthy. pi$$ed off is an understatement. ](*,)

You're right though, it is fixable, and best to stay positive. It'll be sorted. :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Few more things found by YVS.

1. Underseal has been applied over corrosion on the rear of the car, and this is flaking off. This will require the rear bumper removing to sort the corrosion and reapply underseal.

2. I used to run extended studs and spacers with my old Volk wheels due to them being 17x8 offset 45 on the fronts, and the wheel rubbing on the strut. I then put 18s on which didn't require these, so the extended studs and spacers were sold and original studs refitted, or so I thought.....

As I now have Tein Super Street coilovers fitted, my current front wheels rub on the coilovers. This is rectified with a 5mm spacer. No problem, I've ordered 4 of these which will change all my offsets to 33, which will clear the front coilovers and make the rear wheels look more flush.

However, on testing the n/s front wheel with a test 5mm spacer, 3 of the studs in the hub are the stock length, and the other 2 are shorter ones. :roll:

As a result of this, Simon has had to knock the short studs out and replace them with ones out of a hub he had kicking around the workshop.

4. I'm not entirely sure what is going on here:

This is one of the rear subframe bolts that has been packed out with 3 washers.... :-s

The car has now been serviced etc, including coolant flushed and replaced. The Ohlins struts have been removed, and Tein coilovers fitted. Just waiting on the spacers turning up, then the wheels can be fitted. We're then good to go.

As previously mentioned, the car will be going back in for the various welding required. It will then be mint car it should have been in the first place.

I'm more than impressed at how fast Simon has turned all this around, given it was only originally booked in for a service and MOT. Big shout out to Jake.F also for sorting me out with his old Tein coilovers. :thumleft:
Last edited by craig on Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

given cars kept in a garage, all the more reason to do the work yourself.

though im sure its not the first time ive said it to Craig over the years, :eye:

real shame to see the rusty bits given the bare shell :pale: :pale:
craig

Post by craig »

Regarding the subframe bolt, not sure why it has 3 washers packing it out yet. It's tight, and leaving it until the subframe gets dropped to rectify the lack of draftshaft support bracket bolt.

The car is now back with me. It feels 100% better, as expected, with the front arm bolts now tight, and no leaking struts. No vibration/knocking, it's spot on.

On a side note, the MK3 steering wheel also feels a lot nicer to drive with than the previous Momo item.

Much happier with the car now. Just the welding to sort before the MOT...

Cheeky above shot from YVS. The wheels with the spacers now equalling ET33, look much more flush that the previous ET38.

Last edited by craig on Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

that is a great looking mk2 there buddy :thumleft:

don't change a thing

Return to “Member Profiles”