Rev 2 aftermarket frp inlet or return line?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Bear87

Rev 2 aftermarket frp inlet or return line?

Post by Bear87 »

Hi guys im having a tinker with my project today but it just hit me that the fuel pump in my car is a walbro 350lhr i have a aftermarket frp that was also already installed on the car. The frp will hold psi at 42 and is on the return line.

Just read on some ramdom forum that the rev2 has to have its frp on the inlet side? Is this correct?

Obviouly my fuel pump is quite excessive and although i know 100% my injectors dont let by is the rail running at extreme psi and flooding my engine?

Bit of background she overfuels so much i have raw fuel out the exhaust. Massive smoke clouds. If your not familiar with my project its 100% not coolent, injectors, ecu, frp or headgaskets etc but has been narrowed down to excessive overfueling.

Thanks chaps :thumleft:
jimGTS

Re: Rev 2 aftermarket frp inlet or return line?

Post by jimGTS »

42psi base pressure, or pressure with the vac hose hooked up??

The gen3 has the fpr after the rail. I was sure gen2 has it before.

I wouldn't have thought it would make a difference.

The gen2 rail does need to be bored out if using a larger pump as there's a pressure drop across the rail (not all injectors getting same fuel pressure).
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Thanks jim :thumleft:

Its 42psi with vac hose on. Although i think its about the same with it off. Just putting some bits back together and will double check that.The previous owner had bigger power goals but im just trying to get it running back to standard for now.
That said would i need to bore the rail for standard running or just higher power?

Brad
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Sorry jim i was wrong its 42psi with vac hose off. Sits at around 30psi with it on
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Pressures are not bad then.
Could always bring it down 5psi and see if things improve.

The rail bore is mainly down to the pump upgrade, which goes hand in hand with power goals really.

Do some googling on the ats gen2 bored rail, some good explainations on why it's needed.
Though I doubt it's your issue, but base higher pressure could be if overall rich.

What injectors and ecu you running? Possible trying to run larger injectors than the ecu is programmed for?
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

I actually came across your thread on the rail jim was really intresting :thumleft: definatly looking to up the power once its road worthy so that will be a 100% required mod.

The injectors are the 440cc standard ones. Have 3 sets now and i know they all have good spray patten and dont let by under pressure. The ecu is 89661 17380 known good unit from rev2rich on here. It made a slight improvement in running from my original but still dumping huge ammounts of fuel in.

Im sure im missing something stupid here. For the ammout of smoke it bellows out its as if the injectors are firing twice the ammout of required fuel.
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

I assume it's overfuelling at idle as well?

If so have you checked the O2 sensor to see if it's giving the right reading to the ECU?
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Yes its overfueling at idle too. Not really smoking at idle but your overcome by fumes. Have fitted a new 02 sensor but cant say have tested at the ecu end. What would be the test for this?

Cheers
Brad
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

I have a spare injectors and fuel rail if you wanted to bore out and remove the standard FPR ?
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Ah thanks rich. Hope you and family all well mate.

I have got a spare fuel rail and injectors somewhere already and my current rail has the oem fpr removed and a banjo bolt fitting in its place. Thank you tho mate :thumleft:
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

Family is great thanks :thumleft: :thumleft:

Just give me a shout if you need any bits I am sure I will have it :thumleft:
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Thanks rich i love your aladins cave of parts :lol:
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

could it just be down to a weak spark causing a low burn? have you try'ed to replace the igniter dizzy and leads yet ?

or the timing is off slightly ?

food for thought??
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

rev2rich wrote:could it just be down to a weak spark causing a low burn? have you try'ed to replace the igniter dizzy and leads yet ?

or the timing is off slightly ?

food for thought??

Yea had new dizzy, leads, coil, ignitor, plugs and your ecu lol

Timing is at 10 degrees but my knock sensor is a dud so either timing is advancing too much or Just ordered a new one from ats but im not sure if this will affect fueling before 3000 rpm or not? Or at idle even?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”