Gareth's 1999 Sonic Shadow Revision 5

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SonicSW20

Re: Gareth's 1999 Sonic Shadow Revision 5

Post by SonicSW20 »

Something like that!

Did a bit of work on the 3SGTE today, just some more stripping down. Manifolds are now all off, engine loom is off, injector rail is out etc. Finally got the damn crank pulley bolt off too (thanks Stu!)

Once all the bits are off the next step will be give it a good clean, remove or Kurust the bits that need it, and paint it. Current plan is black everything with red vac lines, leads etc.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

made a quick flyby video as well on the way home as I had the camera with me - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKbst2uh0oc
Angpozzuto

Post by Angpozzuto »

Will you just hurry up and get that engine in there. One month till the Cotswolds run
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Haha, it'll go in when it's ready!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Slowly progressing on, valve cover and intake manifold cleaned up and painted:

craig

Post by craig »

Nice!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

craig wrote:Nice!

Thanks! The red came out better as it dried off. It's 'Ignition Red' from Halfords, which apparently is RAL3001.

The cam cover should wrinkle up more as it cures!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Put the manifold on temporarily to see how it looked, decent I think!

Fitted the new oil pump today, which involved removing the sump. Needed removing anyway as whoever put this thing together before using waaaaaay too much RTV. Annoyingly they used sealant on every other xxxxxx gasket on the engine, none of which actually need additional sealant. The amount of sealant used on the oil pump was ridiculous, there was sealant *in* some of the oil ways.

Oil strainer did it's job fortunately :rolleyes:

4 of the 6 sump baffle bolts and threads were all chewed up. 1 of them looked like this:

Most likely been gunned on. Underneath that was a snapped bolt. Feeling a bit annoyed with it after today, what should be relatively simple / easy jobs are becoming much longer than they need to be because of shortcuts / mistakes / ineptitude of whoever has been here before. Well, I know who's been here before as the paperwork for the engine shows a rebuild in 2007/2008. Highly unlikely anyone else has been there since then.

Anyway, it's all sortable, we'll get there!
JD

Post by JD »

Oh man, well once it's done, you know it's done right, and that's peace of mind. Good work :thumleft:

That RAL3001 looks leng :cool:
johnsonca9

Post by johnsonca9 »

Hmmm, got the sump to change on mine. Hope it looks a bit better than that!!! Good luck Sir!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

JD wrote:Oh man, well once it's done, you know it's done right, and that's peace of mind. Good work :thumleft:

That RAL3001 looks leng :cool:

It's come out alright! Quite like how it's ended up slightly textured because I didn't use a primer and flat that down, just used an adhesion promoter. Going to do the TB and bracket / spacer silver.

johnsonca9 wrote:Hmmm, got the sump to change on mine. Hope it looks a bit better than that!!! Good luck Sir!

If it's never had an oil pump change or rebuild it's unlikely to have been removed, so hopefully you'll be alright!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

From yesterday, posted on MR2OC:

"Another day and more annoying things to fix... Hydraulic tensioner threads are pretty much gone. I knew they weren't great as the bolts were pretty ropey when they came out and had bits of thread on them. Ran a tap down it and I could cleanly run a bolt through it so I was hopeful. Knowing that the threads weren't the best I started off with just 10NM on the torque wrench. Didn't even get to 10 and what remained of the threads gave out. Noticing a recurring theme with threads on this engine :rolleyes:

I can fix it, there's enough material around the holes to install an insert. Long!"

Tensioner fixed, fortunately Machine Mart had coil kits in stock:

xxxxx:

Unfucked (did the bottom too as it was pretty shitty as well):

Tensioner on!

Sorted out the sump baffle bolt as well, photo with the test bolt in place:

Left it with the sump now back in place, just need to clean up the lower sump pan and install that. Hopefully it didn't have about 3 tubes of RTV on it previously because that's the only way it would seal :laughing
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Sump pan on my engine was damaged. Spotted oil leak after buying it and part of this was previous owner using a gasket on oil pan and over tightening to get it sealed which bent the end of the oil sump pan. Ended up buying a 2nd hand oil pan and resealing. Good luck with yours​.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Let's hope not!
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Let's hope not!

Good luck. I bought a 2nd hand sump in good condition but a PITA. Hope you have less issues.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Starting to look more like a proper engine again now!

JD

Post by JD »

Strong work, Gaz. Are you dropping it in soon?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

JD wrote:Strong work, Gaz. Are you dropping it in soon?

Soon, remaining things to do -
  • Fit new ancillary hoses (no idea where most of these go :lol: )
  • Torque timing side properly (cam gears, oil pump pulley) either when the flywheel is on or buy a cam gear locking tool and do it.
  • Source another ABS rear hub (need to check which side) and source a spare ABS driveshaft.
  • Rebuild the hubs using the turbo stubs and ABS hub carriers to retain the stock ABS. Carefully remove ABS trigger ring and install onto the turbo LSD driveshafts.
  • Gearbox - clean and replace seals.
  • Get the flywheel machined.

Basically I want to have everything done before installation weekend begins so mechanically it will be as simple as removing the old one and putting the new one in, no messing around transferring parts / rebuilding hubs on the day. Then it's just a matter of plumbing the water, repinning the ECU to match up with the UK Rev5 stuff. Doable in a weekend but I'm allowing longer. My target is to have all the mechanical stuff sorted, new fuel pump installed in one weekend, just leaving plumbing / fluids / electrics. Plus troubleshooting time after.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Gaz before commencing work check the condition of the fuel line from the tank to the bottom of the fuel filter a few of these are starting to fail Mots for corrosion it'll be alot easier to fix with your engine out so I'd check it now and order the parts ready if it does look ropey
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

You might want to apply a little heat to the ABS rings when trying to remove them (As long as they are metal lol)

Return to “Member Profiles”