www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Search function - it really does work! Quick tutorial

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Club News and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmachling
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 14

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Search function - it really does work! Quick tutorial Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I've seen repeated criticism of the search function on IMOC and can't really understand why. You just need to be quite specific with it.

A few tips:

1) If you type a series of words in and don't fill in the box to 'Search for all terms' it will return posts containing ANY of those words - i.e. hundreds.

2) You can accomplish the same as 1) by writing 'and' between each term (without the ''s obviously)

3) All Boolean logic operators work also. I.e. AND, OR and NOT (don't need to be in capitals)

To search for all posts about Tein suspension type 'suspension and Tein' in the search box

To search for all posts about suspension that is not made by Tein type 'suspension not Tein'

To search for all posts about suspesntion made by Tein or Bilstein type 'suspension and Tein or Bilstein'

Any questions, let me know [thumleft]
Steve Horrocks

Feedback Score: 26

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Good post john! [thumleft]
dave5526

Feedback Score: 39

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Old post I realise, but I think it'd be a good idea to make the "search for all terms" the default selected option, rather than the "search for any terms". If you dont select all terms, it pretty much brings up 90% of the posts on IMOC for anything you search for. Having the least useful search option as the default isn't a great idea, I too thought the search fuction was rubbish for some time until I realised you could do this.

Not a major issue but might help some of the newer members find stuff [thumleft]
toxo
IMOC Committee

Feedback Score: 53

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

dave5526 wrote:
Old post I realise, but I think it'd be a good idea to make the "search for all terms" the default selected option, rather than the "search for any terms". If you dont select all terms, it pretty much brings up 90% of the posts on IMOC for anything you search for. Having the least useful search option as the default isn't a great idea, I too thought the search fuction was rubbish for some time until I realised you could do this.

Not a major issue but might help some of the newer members find stuff [thumleft]

I was gonna do that, but then there will be hundreds of redundant posts across the forum explaining how the search function works... like this one!
brgbrm

Feedback Score: 2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Wow, glad I stumbled across this thread, I've been a member for years and have never been able to figure out the search function.
caydneobrt

Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Thanks to Scott, Search Function thread link is included on welcome email [Smile]
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Feedback Score: 39

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

caydneobrt wrote:
Thanks to Scott, Search Function thread link is included on welcome email [Smile]

[thumleft]
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Club News and Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: