Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

qwakers

Re: MOT emissions testing - CAT/no CAT

Post by qwakers »

report him and take it somewhere else.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Hez wrote:Just had my 1994 mr2 turbo fail emissions, wouldnt do a non-cat test despite what i said because he found the 3sgte under the celica and would only test to that despite it not been a exact match. Picked a good one there!

ask for the VT20 (i think it is) and then speak to VOSA though I suspect once you ask for the failure form he'll change his tune a bit :wink:
Hez

Post by Hez »

I got him to abort the test and he didnt charge me so balls to him, i just wont go there again. Going to take it to someone who did mine in the past who is going to do it properly spoke to him before hand. :thumleft: , no harm done just a inconvenience.
Red Devil

Post by Red Devil »

Your tester is a plank. The relevant document is the In service exhaust emission standards for road vehicles: Eighteenth edition - LINK.

He should be looking up the make and model of car presented, then using the data applicable thereto, not making it up on the hoof.
An MR2 Mk2 turbo is not a Celica GT4. :roll: The fact that they share the 3S-GTE engine is completely irrelevant. Period.
Unlike the GT4 the MR2 turbo was never sold in the UK market hence it is not in the database.* He needs re-training.

* A quirk of the legislation/regulations which works in our favour, :)
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

I’ve currently printed off the logic page, the Toyota page showing no 3s-gte, a copy of my v5 showing manufacturing date (1/1/1993) and a picture of the vin plate (showing 3s-gte).

I’ve put it all in the glove box ready for MOT
jayandrews

Post by jayandrews »

hi everyone,im hoping for some help here.....

ive purchased a nice uk k reg mr2 as a little project for me and my daughter to tidy up and use.
now the car is registered feb 1993 and when i took it for mot we realised it had the cat removed so it failed the mot on emissions and cat not being present. i have now fitted an aftermarket cat and its better but still fails the cat test. my car has nowhere on the exhaust for a lambda sensor to be fitted as i was going to look to change it.should it have a sensor fitted
could this possibly be a car built pre august 1992 and therefore should be tested differently? or is there anything else i need to be checking.the co was lower than 3.5 but nowhere near 0.3.

really appreciate any help....
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

jayandrews wrote:hi everyone,im hoping for some help here.....

ive purchased a nice uk k reg mr2 as a little project for me and my daughter to tidy up and use.
now the car is registered feb 1993 and when i took it for mot we realised it had the cat removed so it failed the mot on emissions and cat not being present. i have now fitted an aftermarket cat and its better but still fails the cat test. my car has nowhere on the exhaust for a lambda sensor to be fitted as i was going to look to change it.should it have a sensor fitted
could this possibly be a car built pre august 1992 and therefore should be tested differently? or is there anything else i need to be checking.the co was lower than 3.5 but nowhere near 0.3.

I think Rev1's (to 12/91) don't have an o2, Rev2+ does though. Yours should have one if it is a Rev2.

The O2 sensor is on the exhaust midpipe, being a Rev2 it'll be a 2 bolt flange style sensor and it should also have a heat shield:

http://japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/1992/mr ... uter#89465

Possible a previous owner has swapped it out, for a rev1 system, but then I'd expect an EML for o2 sensor.

For the purpose of the MOT the build date itself is not important, the date of first use is. As its a UK car, this will be its date of first registration - Feb 1993.

In the unlikely case this is actually a Rev1 car that was late registered, then you should still pass because an exact match won't exist in the emissions book.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... dition.pdf

If it is actually a Rev1 car then the last 7 digits of the VIN will be lower than 0059266, therefore no exact match exists in the emissions book, and a non cat test is performed, which you will pass. From the MOT manual:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspect ... 8-nuisance

Use the flowcharts 1, 2 and 3 within this section to establish which emissions test and limits you must use for the vehicle under test.

Use the vehicle exhaust emission standards or use the EGA database to find any specific limits for the vehicle.

You might need the following details to find the vehicle's exact limits:

vehicle make
vehicle model
model code
engine code
engine size
VIN
If you can find an exact match other than the model or engine code, use the lesser of the vehicle's specific limits or default limits.

If you cannot find an exact match, test it to default limits.

So we follow the flowchart and do what it tells us to do, bearing in mind that we do *not* have an exact match from the emissions book:

Red Devil

Post by Red Devil »

jayandrews wrote:hi everyone,im hoping for some help here.....

The build date is irrelevant. It's the in service date that counts. The VIN Number quoted in the previous post is linked to the DVLA registration database.
My money says yours is higher than 0059266 and the answer to the exact match question will therefore be 'Yes'.
In which case you will need to get the CO figure down to 0.3 or below at fast idle.

I find it hard to believe that there is no lambda sensor fitted anywhere in your exhaust system. That said, if there isn't, the ECU is not receiving the signal it expects.
Therefore it is not performing the appropriate control function and this will be reflected the in the output figures.
jayandrews

Post by jayandrews »

Hi guys and thanks for your input.
I've had another look tonight and there is definitely no sensor on the down pipe even though it looks factory. I can only assume that at some point a rev 1 down pipe was fitted for some reason. In the vicinity there appears to be a plug with 4 pins which may be for the sensor,if that is the type this should have fitted.
I've seen a couple of down pipes for sale with sensor in so may have to go down this route.
It's very frustrating as it's the only thing it failed on,we rescued it from an 82 year old guy who had it left sitting. It really deserves to be saved.
Red Devil

Post by Red Devil »

jayandrews wrote:Hi guys and thanks for your input.
I've had another look tonight and there is definitely no sensor on the down pipe even though it looks factory. I can only assume that at some point a rev 1 down pipe was fitted for some reason. In the vicinity there appears to be a plug with 4 pins which may be for the sensor, if that is the type this should have fitted.
I've seen a couple of down pipes for sale with sensor in so may have to go down this route.
It's very frustrating as it's the only thing it failed on,we rescued it from an 82 year old guy who had it left sitting. It really deserves to be saved.

Quite possibly. The 4 wire type sensor has a heating element. The OEM Denso one is fiendishly expensive (3 figures)!

You can get a 'Denso quality' one a bit cheaper.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Red Devil wrote:
Quite possibly. The 4 wire type sensor has a heating element. The OEM Denso one is fiendishly expensive (3 figures)!
Image Replaced With URL For Quote https://mr2-ben.co.uk/uploads/image/fil ... 2_SW20.jpg

You can get a 'Denso quality' one a bit cheaper.

Only expensive if you want it in a Toyota box. You can get a genuine Denso sensor (direct fit, exactly the same as the Toyota one) for about £50.

https://cdn.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/denso/l ... alogue.pdf

DOX0216
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-86123-dens ... tID=135118

Probably the same as what MR2 Ben is selling for a significant premium too.
Red Devil

Post by Red Devil »

D'oh, I forgot about Opie. #-o Might be even less with club discount.

The Denso catalogue lists 4 different part numbers for the 3SGE sensor.
Which appears to correspond with MR2 Ben's page.

I think the one the OP needs may be DOX-0208.
If so, Spark Plugs UK is another option

Return to “Mechanical”