Is a little whining noise from gearbox normal?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2_maverick

Re: Is a little whining noise from gearbox normal?

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="Gazza_DJ"]Yes, you don't need deep for this job, or impact.

If you don't have a 1/2inch set of 6 sided sockets I'd highly recommend picking a set up.[/quote]

Okay, what are most common sizes for working on the mr2 mk2?

Here is the link to what the whine sounds like:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0SoIZ4lhMua

Please excuse the clunking/smashing sound that is my elbow hitting my phone when shifting because I placed it on the arm rest towards the engine. My gears are not clunky and they shift smoothly :lol:

The whine noise also disappears when I put the car in neutral. If it was the input shaft then would neutral make such a difference? Can it be the differential noise?
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

Should I just pretend I have straight cut toothed gears and run till the gearbox goes kaboom ? :mrgreen:
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

if the oils new and it just whines a bit then yes. replacement boxes are cheap enough.
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="qwakers"]if the oils new and it just whines a bit then yes. replacement boxes are cheap enough.[/quote]

I have uploaded a sound clip in my post above, do you think this sound is something to worry about too much?
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

its hard to say.. ive never driven one with a exhaust that quiet so mine might sound like that for all i know :lol: personally i would only start to worry if your oil changes start to look like you've been panning for gold/
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

That fill plug is on there for good. First I broke the rachet then I rounded the bolt off. I used a six point socket and soaked the bolt/plug in duckoil first and then wd40 but nothing works.! ](*,)

I am tempted to use a heat torch but there are some tubes nearby and don't think it's a good idea. I can't locate the breather plug otherwise I would've tried to undo that instead.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

wrap the hoses in tinfoil and then cut open a drinks can and shape it as a heat shield to protect the pipes..

heat the bolt up with a blowtorch or similar and then undo with a breaker bar and 6 sided socket.
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="pbmr2"]wrap the hoses in tinfoil and then cut open a drinks can and shape it as a heat shield to protect the pipes..

heat the bolt up with a blowtorch or similar and then undo with a breaker bar and 6 sided socket.[/quote]

After alot of persuasion using your advice and swear words the plug came off. I refilled the car and it made no change to the whine. It did give me a slight gearbox crunch though. It only happens in 3rd gear and only once a day but not everyday. In trying to fix something I have broken something ](*,) it doesn't really make a loud noise, you just feel the 'crunchiness' through the shifter.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Was the car level when you filled it up?
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="Gazza_DJ"]Was the car level when you filled it up?[/quote]

No I had to raise the car a little bit at the back on small ramps otherwise couldn't get enough access. I did use a pump to pump the fluid in and just under 3 litres went in which I think is the capacity from reading on these forums.
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="Gazza_DJ"]Was the car level when you filled it up?[/quote]
Do you think that's the problem that I havnt filled it up properly? I thought I filled in the correct amount. Should it take the whole 3 litres?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

It's possible but it sounds like enough oil went in. What oil did you use?
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="Gazza_DJ"]It's possible but it sounds like enough oil went in. What oil did you use?[/quote]
I used triple QX. I wanted use MT90 but my local ecp didn't have it.
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

The old oil that came out was clean no metal shavings or anything that should raise concern.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”