start/move car with radiator removed (few meters)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mrfil13

start/move car with radiator removed (few meters)

Post by mrfil13 »

I am going to be replacing the radiator and aircon rad. I have a gravel drive so it would be useful to pull the front of the car into the garage to do the work, i was hoping to drain the rad and remove the rad one weekend and replace/refill the next.

Would i be ok running the car with the rad off to basically move the car a few meters? More thinking about the water pump as i imagine i wont be able to drain all of the coolant from just the radiator end?

Also any idea if the aircon rad (that pesky bolt behind the bumper) is easier to remove the radiator out? I've replaced it before and i'm pretty sure we pushed the radiator back which gave more access to the bolt.

When replacing the evil spring jubilee clips on the rad hoses (last time i did this i cut myself to bits) do people replacing the with normal jubilee clips or are there other types of clips that people could recommend.
thomp1983

Re: start/move car with radiator removed (few meters)

Post by thomp1983 »

It'll be fine for a few minutes. Jubilee or mikalor clamps will be fine on the hoses
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

Cheers.

Fingers crossed that the Condenser bolt is easier to get to with the rad removed.
DottySkee

Post by DottySkee »

FYI, I had no issues taking the air con rad out of my car with bumper on and radiator in place. It takes a little bit of wiggling and getting the right angle to get it lifted up and out but it does come.
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

Not had a chance to start yet unfortunately. I have the radiator already and most of the coolant from before so thought i would change the rad and coolant at the same time as none of that has been changed while I've had the car.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”