Lighting Issue ?? Switch ? Pop-ups ?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CurtisRW

Lighting Issue ?? Switch ? Pop-ups ?

Post by CurtisRW »

So my instrument cluster (spedometer etc) hasn't been lighting up since I bought the car and from some research online I recon this is down to the actual switch since mine is a little dodgy and that's a common issue. But my passenger pop-up has just stopped working and I wanted to know if this could possibly be down to the switch as well?
It still lights up but wont pop-up.

Thought it might just be down to rust but I can still get it up manually so I doubt that it is.

I took it all apart today and covered it in WD40 in case it was just down to rust since that pop-up is more rusted than the other but this hasn't sorted it.

Basically wanna know if you recon this is the lights motor? or down to the switch? or something else? is there someway I could diagnose it before buying new parts since I don't want to buy a new motor for example if that isn't gunna fix it.

Thanks for any help :)
kaiowas

Re: Lighting Issue ?? Switch ? Pop-ups ?

Post by kaiowas »

Issues with the pop-ups are often caused by the headlight retract relay. I can't remember whether the motors are on seperate fuses or not either so that is worth looking into. I know there are fuses for left and right but can't remember whether they are for the lights or the motors

If it's a mk1b then dashboard illumination problems are often caused by a bad connection in the rotary dial that controls the dimming (mk1a didn't have dimmable dash illumination)
jimi

Re: Lighting Issue ?? Switch ? Pop-ups ?

Post by jimi »

Faulty headlight switch are not a common issue in the UK in my experience (mostly seems to be a US of A problem) much more likely to be this
kaiowas wrote:Issues with the pop-ups are often caused by the headlight retract relay.

or a motor
Headlights are fused separately, motors are on single fuse (30A RTR MTR front fuse box) If one headlight comes up the switch is OK, it's a common feed to the headlight retract relay for both light.
white/light blue wire from the relay is the feed to the LH motor and white/red is the feed to the RH. Try winding the light up using the manual winder and see if it will go down on the switch.
Watch your fingers when messing with the headlights, if your going to put your hands in the mechanism pull the RTR fuse first.
CurtisRW

Update:

Post by CurtisRW »

Update: Replacing the light switch mechanism did fix the dash lighting but had 0 effect on the pop-ups. I fixed the pop-ups by replacing the relay.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”