How much £$ have you spent on your mr2 to date. Seperate cost of the vehicle.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SonicSW20

Re: How much £$ have you spent on your mr2 to date. Seperate cost of the vehicle.

Post by SonicSW20 »

Someone who spends £35k modifying an MR2 isn't going to be happy with a stock GTR either. The GTR bill would have been £35k + a xxxx load more on modifications :lol:
craig

Re: How much £$ have you spent on your mr2 to date. Seperate cost of the vehicle.

Post by craig »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Someone who spends £35k modifying an MR2 isn't going to be happy with a stock GTR either. The GTR bill would have been £35k + a xxxx load more on modifications :lol:

^this :mrgreen:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

jimGTS wrote:
Martin F wrote:
Draven wrote:

I'm not shocked. :wink:

I'm not either as paying someone else to do the work doesn't take long to get to silly amounts.
35k is almost R35 terrritory or a decent two year old M car, if only you had the hindsight to realise this :-k

cant really look at it that way, because what your saying is NO decent car for 10years just to save up and buy a r35 over the 10+years of enjoyment owning/driving the mr2.
if he layed out 35k in one hit on the mr2, thats a different story, ha.

plus your missing the real point, r35s are boring, big and heavy as hell!! :mrgreen:

Yeah, true for point one but i wouldn't say no to a R35 GTR, they may be big and heavy but Boring ??? :?
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

craig wrote:
jimGTS wrote:
Martin F wrote:

I'm not either as paying someone else to do the work doesn't take long to get to silly amounts.
35k is almost R35 terrritory or a decent two year old M car, if only you had the hindsight to realise this :-k

cant really look at it that way, because what your saying is NO decent car for 10years just to save up and buy a r35 over the 10+years of enjoyment owning/driving the mr2.

plus your missing the real point, r35s are boring, big and heavy as hell!! :mrgreen:

As above. It's not £35k in one hit, it's over 10 years. Hindsight doesn't come into it.

Plus I'd not want an R35 anyway. I'm not a fan of them in the slightest.

That came pretty much from yourself Craig, most of your spending happened over a 2-3 year period and you said that you not just contemplated quitting half way through but how you had considered (or could have had) a car like your girlfriends and wishing you knew beforehand the monies that you were going to be spending, Just saying :oldtongue:
craig

Post by craig »

Martin F wrote:
craig wrote:
jimGTS wrote:

As above. It's not £35k in one hit, it's over 10 years. Hindsight doesn't come into it.

Plus I'd not want an R35 anyway. I'm not a fan of them in the slightest.

That came pretty much from yourself Craig, most of your spending happened over a 2-3 year period and you said that you not just contemplated quitting half way through but how you had considered (or could have had) a car like your girlfriends and wishing you knew beforehand the monies that you were going to be spending, Just saying :oldtongue:

Nope. That spending was over 2008 to present. It encompassed the money I spent on my tintop and the T bar project off the back of it.

I don't need a car like the other halfs. I'm on her insurance so have a 300bhp MR2 turbo and a new M140i to drive.
benjo

Post by benjo »

Don't think the cost is the point it's about building something unique
To you,I see loads of r35 in Sheff and definitely would have one if i could,
But it wouldn't be unique,where as anyone who knows me knows my
Car instantly,
Over last 12 years it's been a love/hate relationship and I get asked
Why don't you buy a new car?/ "because I don't want a euro box like everyone else" i don't care it's H plate or if other people like it,
It still makes me smile,apart from at the moment the engines now burning loads of oil and
I'm impatiently waiting for my v6 lol
P.s money is not real there just fun tokens :thumleft:
Too weird to live, to rare to die
androo007

Post by androo007 »

I view it as.... for the money I've spent, what else could I get the e thrill for? Have to admit I haven't found anything yet.

You'll know when I have as mine will be up for sale :lol:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

The R35 (value for money and overall package) is probably the only car at this moment in time I would trade up my mr2 for.
There's nothing else I can think of around £50-60k that would excite me, have the sort of power it does, not ridiculously expensive maintenance etc, modern and still look good and be comfortable.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Gullzter wrote:, not ridiculously expensive maintenance etc, modern and still look good and be comfortable.

Think you need to look into that more..
a friend of mine bought a 997turbo because the upkeep and servicing costs of the GTR scared him...
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

How much did your friend look into it?

I've got 2 friends with GTRs and I've already looked into it..
A Lichfield warranty is circa £1600 (which can be extended with discretion) which also gives you a complete software update and covers all major components, litchfield service for 5 years (5 oil changes, 1 brake line change, 1 brake fluid change, 1 spark plug change plus optional extras) is £1000 providing you don't go outside the interval recommendations from them (9000miles/12months).
Discs and pads can be had less than £1500 these days, clutch kits can be had less than £1500 supplied and fitted with fluids changed.. once those are changed they should last several years or a crapload of mileage (that's if you even need to do them), one of my mates has had his GTR since nearly new, has near 60,000miles on and the discs and pads have never needed to be changed, and litchfield haven't recommended he change them yet and he does at least 3 track days per year.
If you get a 2011 or later then they are very reliable compared to the pre 2011 model.
Tyres would set you back around £1200-£1500 depending where you go and should last 6000-12000 miles depending on how the car is being used.

So yes they are expensive but they aren't expensive compared to a lot of other cars with similar performance and overall package, never mind the price.
If you buy the right one, £60k should easily get you a post 2011 with 5years service, warranty, and road tax to cover all bases then you just have the fuel and regular maintenance like tyres, detailing the car to worry about.

Hope that helps anyone looking :thumleft:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Fair doos buddy
Ive never looked into it.

But im with the others.. r35 is defo not my first choice of car...
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

It is a like or hate it car but lets face it, for a car that weighs 1750kg it goes like stink!
Too many people use the excuse that it's ugly, it's too big, it's not a driver's car etc..
I never used to be a fan of them but started appreciating them a lot more recently :mrgreen:
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

First MR2, I did approx 160,000 miles over 12 yrs

1 turbo charger rebuild
2 clutches
3 sets of shocks all round
4 top mounts
Track control arms
front ball joints
2 sets of brake discs
Brake pads
Front and rear calipers
2-3 engine mounts
2 cam belts
rad
2 batteries
1 steering fog light
3x HT leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm
1 rocker cover gasket
1 mbc
1 thermostat
cancer bars
aerial
ICE
Lots of tyres: some years the car was doing 20,000 miles a year and the rears lasted a year and fronts 2-3 yrs.
Lots of oil.
Full strip down respray with new nose cone and front wings

Total.... nowhere near what some of you guys spend!

Second MR2, over a few years:

2x turbos :shock:
1 set of shocks all round
2 sets of tyres
2 sets of rear calipers (1 set were faulty)
battery
1 rocker cover gasket
cam belt
thermostat
mbc
air filter kit
bov
track control arm
front ball joints
2x both rear calipers
ICE
aerial

Total for both cars still nowhere near what some of you guys spend on one car!
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Cars for enthusiasts will never make sense but we all spend money on ours cars as it's a passion. As mentioned above no doubt if many of us had a stock R35 we would still want improvements that cost £££. I've spent money over but if I had a season ticket for my favourite football team and followed them round Europe it would run into lots of £££ too.

I've owned my Rev3 MR2 Turbo since January 2017 and so far:

Rev3 front to replace the border front bumper
Missing accessories like tool kit, plastic radiator shroud, etc.
Replacement front wing - better condition.
New cam cover bolts, cam cover gasket and dizzy o-ring, throttle body gasket.
Genuine JDM MR2 floor mats
Genuine clear MR2 front indicators.
Personal steering wheel and boss
Electrical aerial delete kit.
Rust free rear panel to sort my car.
Rogue motorsport engine lid fan lid
UK 160mph speedo cluster
Single DIN Toyota cubby box.

Also bought these items I don't think I need:

Mr2 Ben driver side sill.
Spare gearbox speedo sender.
Spare gearbox wiring plug.

Labour and repair costs

Welding in rear panel and cutting out rust
Sorting balance of engine oil leak I couldn't sort.
Wiring tidied and speedo sorted with UK speedo clock.

Awaiting in April

Full respray
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

How much is your full respray?
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

[email protected] wrote:How much is your full respray?

Unsure of final cost but probably around £1300.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

WOW I guess that's just a blow over
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

androo007 wrote:WOW I guess that's just a blow over

Fair bit of work going though in fairness it's not bad at the moment just by the time i started doing a few panels it spread from there!

I'm lucky with paint as get trade rates, downside is it's in between jobs done for dealers so can be slow but a lot cheaper then if i was paying retail.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”