Rev 3 Turbo clutch options - UPDATE, help?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CalMac

Rev 3 Turbo clutch options - UPDATE, help?

Post by CalMac »

Usual mods running around 300bhp with supposedly a TRD diff (I've never had the gearbox off in 18 months of ownership but have changed to Comma oil specifically for my diff recommended by Pete G). I'd believe it though as you can hear one wheel slipping as you exit sharp junctions etc.

Car came fitted with some sort of paddle/drag racing clutch which has always made driving the car a bit of a mission. It's really heavy and tries to launch all the time in stop-start traffic unless you slip the clutch and pull off at 2k. It's also impossible to downshift without rev-matching, which isn't ideal when you're not in the mood for racecar :lol: Also the clutch seems to drag if you come to a stop in gear with the clutch pedal depressed - it makes knocking sounds and nudges forward despite me adjusting the free play. Can't complain at the performance though - it grabs and goes like a bat out of hell!

To me it has too many drawbacks for a road car though - so I'm wondering if there is a well-rated clutch which can take about 300bhp without slipping all the time. I imagine OEM, but if I go to Toyota it'll be something stupid like £500 and I also get the impression that an organic Exedy or something might be good?

In summary I want to basically have normal clutch feel and behaviour :)
Last edited by CalMac on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
androo007

Re: Rev 3 Turbo clutch options - UPDATE, help?

Post by androo007 »

So look up the torque clamp rating pal. Many people run 300 with oem clutch - if you aren't planning on going higher (in which case that'd be a gbox off and rebuild anyway) then oem should be fine.

Excedy stage 1 meant to be OK with +30% rating I think.
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

I've been running an exedy stage 1 organic clutch for 2 years now at 330hp and it is perfect
Done a couple of drag racing days and it performs perfectly, doesn't slip or overheat
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Awesome, I'll go with the Exedy Stage 1 then :thumleft:

Part no seems to be TK05H906 but it looks like there's either an A or B option.. (A/B at end of the part number). Cheapest I've found is £252.00 from Tegiwa, and that's TK05H906-B. Looks like it comes with the release bearing too - can anybody verify if the A/B codes are important..? Or if they know of an even cheaper source? :wink:
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

Sounds like a good price I paid £270,
Unfortunately my order number had no letter after the part number so can't help there sorry
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Well I've bought it - can't be much difference in it surely :-k Thanks for the advice :thumleft:
Woody928

Post by Woody928 »

Just to chip in, I got my exedy stage one organic from Tegiwa imports as well a few months back and its been perfect for my rev3 turbo. Its got more bite than OEM but is still perfectly usable day to day. Given what your coming from you'll have no problems at all.

Its heavier than OEM for traffic but that trade off comes with the performance benifits you get. Launches really nicely :D
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Awesome, cheers for the reassurance! Still waiting for it to arrive :whistle:
Woody928

Post by Woody928 »

No worries bud, yeah can't say I'm surprised! I had exactly the same issue, they said it was in stock and wasn't! Had to chase them and suddenly there were results...
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

So I've fitted the Exedy Stage 1..

And the car feels noticeably slower :-k

Especially in low boost (1 bar) - my friend was right on my bumper in his EP3, which definitely isn't right!

As far as I can tell it doesn't really feel like clutch slip - is there a bedding in period for a new clutch?

I'm not sure if just coming from a twin plate to this, the 'grabiness' is gone and so feels less urgent? The old clutch was an Exedy Hyper twin plate
Last edited by CalMac on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Also the clutch feels very light, but I've just come from my MX5 which has a pretty heavy ACT clutch so not sure if it's placebo #-o
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

CalMac wrote:So I've fitted the Exedy Stage 1..

And the car feels noticeably slower :-k

Especially in low boost (1 bar) - my friend was right on my bumper in his EP3, which definitely isn't right!

As far as I can tell it doesn't really feel like clutch slip - is there a bedding in period for a new clutch?

I'm not sure if just coming from a twin plate to this, the 'grabiness' is gone and so feels less urgent? The old clutch was an Exedy Hyper twin plate

If the clutch isn't slipping then there would have to be something drastically wrong with it to cause a power loss, are you still definitely getting 1 bar ? could be another issue :-k
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

yes a clutch needs some bedding in, just like pads and discs.

though usually its just a "dont go launching" type of theory.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

yeah power loss without slippin has to be something else
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Good idea, I'll check for boost leaks. Maybe the mechanic tugged on a vacuum while getting the gearbox off :-k

I didn't do any launches but did do a couple of pulls through the gears up to top of 4th ish, and that was when I first thought it felt slower
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

CalMac wrote:and that was when I first thought it felt slower

HaHa, the amount of times I have had similar thoughts over the years could have driven me to drink, most times I was right though :lol:

Hope you get the car back to running how she was :thumleft:
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Not happy with the Exedy Stage 1, it's always felt slower since swapping from the old twin plate and now it seems to be slipping!

What's the next logical road-friendly step with regard to a clutch kit? I don't mind it being a little heavier, but I'm done with crap slipping clutches :lol:

Cheers
androo007

Post by androo007 »

I've got the act 6 puck heavy duty. A bit on off but I like the firmer feel. More than manageable and rated to 499 ftlb
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

No way a brand new clutch should be slipping, unless it's defective.

Are you sure it was fitted properly (disc the right way round) ?
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

I would suspect either contamination or glazed flywheel over disc wrong way round.
If the friction plate was the wrong way the clutch wouldn't clear

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”