My first Mr2 project

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SeanSw20

Re: My first Mr2 project

Post by SeanSw20 »

Old rad

New rad with the twin fan set up

Swapped over the temp sensors as mines was different and got it fitted

I also tried on the bomex bumper but not sure if I like it or not, maybe will be better once the skirts are on and it's back on its wheels

Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Don't blame you. It will look smart when it all comes together :)
craig

Post by craig »

Nice work so far :thumleft:
SeanSw20

Post by SeanSw20 »

Thanks for the replies, just finished stonechipping the back of car, was all wire brushed and treated with kurust first, wanted this all done before the subframe went back on

SeanSw20

Post by SeanSw20 »

Just tried the skirts up and the fitment isn't great.

Does anyone know what happens with vent at rear of sill do u cut it out?

SeanSw20

Post by SeanSw20 »

Cut some of the passenger sill off to see how bad it was

Madabout

Post by Madabout »

I like the new alloy rad. I have a new one to go in on my car. The Bomex bumper is something I like - I think as my last MR2 13 or 14 years ago had one. It has always been a bumper I like on a MR2.

I had the sponge still left in my driver sill when I got it - the passenger sill had already been removed. This is what I pulled out.

I fitted some bomex skirts on mine back in the day and remember the fitment wasn't the best. The front bumper was genuine but the skirts were copies and needed a bit of fettling to look ok on.
SeanSw20

Post by SeanSw20 »

Your foam looks a bit better than mines. Will try to get a better fit once the sills are welded up
SeanSw20

Post by SeanSw20 »

Today I tackled the downpipe, I got a downpipe when I first got the car as part of mines was missing. I shot blasted the downpipe and painted it all in black engine paint. I thought it would be a straight fit but turns out I was wrong again. It's either nothing I buy is rev 3 or nothing fits a rev 3 lol

So cut the flange down a bit that was left from when I got the car and modified the exhaust a bit and it all lined up.

Then welded It all up and got it heat wrapped

SeanSw20

Post by SeanSw20 »

Not my best welding but it's solid

Also picked up an alterator adjuster bracket and a new bolt for lower hole as I had to drill the bolt out from mines. Once I get a belt for it ill finally get the replacement alternator fitted. When I bought the bracket they gave me the belt aswell which I tried up but was too short? Mines is non air con so thought it would be the shortest one?

SeanSw20

Post by SeanSw20 »

My new lowering springs turned up today, is there any difference in springs between revs? Just wondering as most parts I've bought recently hasn't fit.
Draven

Post by Draven »

The vent at the rear near the sill is just a looks think, it doesn't go anywhere. you don't cut the sill or anything, maybe stick a little mesh behind it
Draven

Post by Draven »

rev1 suspension could be rebuilt, beyond rev2 all MR2's had black bilsteins non re-buildable. So pretty much all the same you shouldn't have an issue with the springs fitting, what drop did you go for?

Just be aware that depending on that you might find they don't lower the car at all due to the original springs sagging over time.
SeanSw20

Post by SeanSw20 »

Thanks I didn't know they were all bilstein shocks. They are 40 mm all round so hoping it's just a little drop as I have spacers to go on. Guessing it won't be quite 40 mm like you said as the car didn't sit level when I got it so guessing some of its sagged.

Got 3 coats of paint onto the read struts yesterday, was getting dark so will see today if they need any more.

SeanSw20

Post by SeanSw20 »

Got the struts built back up today and sat on to the car. Still need to get new bolts for where it mounts onto the hub.

The rear control arms? Seem to have a lot of play so decided to take them off and the nuts have snapped inside the subframe. Now at the point of do I get another subframe or not. Also does anyone know where to get the bushes for the arms or what they are called?

qwakers

Post by qwakers »

you can cut the rest of the bolt flush with the crossmember and then once the arms are off you can weld a nut to the remainder of the bolt and wind it out so that part isn't a issue. you can buy the bushes separately but only if you want polybushes you cant get oem ones. so now is as good a time as any to buy a polybush kit and do all the bushes at the same time...
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

this site has the diagram for all the polybushes for the mr2.

https://www.driftworks.com/powerflex-bu ... 89-99.html
SeanSw20

Post by SeanSw20 »

Thanks for the reply I've looked at the link u posted but can't see the arm on it? It shows the other arm in there pics but not this one?

I had found this but would much rather get polybushes

qwakers

Post by qwakers »

i have a feeling i couldnt find that bush either iirc....
SeanSw20

Post by SeanSw20 »

Got some new bolts for the strut

One of the gearbox mounts I made a polybush for:

Return to “Member Profiles”