Alternator won't go back i

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tsukijin-Akiyama

Alternator won't go back i

Post by Tsukijin-Akiyama »

Hi guys I'm at my wits end and really need some help. my partner has bought another G limited import Rev 1. When he got the car a few months ago the alternator died as soon as it came off the transporter. I brought a voltage regulator to try to fix the one We had but when refitted it still didn't work.

Then We bought a new one but when We fitted it we found out We received the wrong one as it was not for an auto.

Now we have got a second hand one from the same year/model/trans, and can't seem to get it fitted back in. We took it out and checked it against the one that came out, and the one that was wrong, with the spare bracket and it appears that the adjuster bolt does not line up with the bracket no matter where Its moved to, which is strange as the old alternator that came out won't even line back up in there, It looks like the hole of the alternator sits shy of the adjuster curve thing. The bolt won't fit in place. I'm so disheartened as she's lovely.
aussieGT

Re: Alternator won't go back i

Post by aussieGT »

take some pics, it may help resolve your problem. Its not so easy to understand.

Your 'spare' alternator bracket, where did that come from?

There's a few versions/revisions of alternators on SW's, turbos, imports, gen 1,2,3,4,5.. - pics speak more than a thousand confused words.

PM me your vin number and I may be able to find out the right part number you'd need. There's always a chance someone along the line has bodged a mismatched alternator along the cars life as well...
Tsukijin-Akiyama

The bracket was already on the car, another came with the alternator.

We tried the old alternator in the new bracket, and the new alternator in the old bracket, neither worked, tried to put the old alternator back in its old bracket to see if it was that the new alternator was wrong, and having the same problem with the hole for either the bottom bolt or top tensioner bolt not lining up when one or the other is done up, even though both objects were fitted to the vehicle before that alternator died.

Tried pulling the alternator down to get the holes to line up all the way but it doesn't have enough purchase.

I'll have to try and take photos its a nightmare to explain!

The alternator came off a 91 rev 1 auto na same as the one its trying to go into
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

I remember me and my apprentice had a massive nightmare trying to wiggle it in position and get the through bolt in.

I remember we start it facing as high as possible and then hinged it down slowly and snapped it shut. eventually with enough cussing and struggling the through bolt went it.
auzzam

Post by auzzam »

Yeah the lining up is tedious I had to use a big screw driver to wedge it back in fully
Tsukijin-Akiyama

We managed to get the new alternator in, wally was using the wrong bracket from my manual.

We changed the alternator because the orange battery light was staying on, we tested the alternator and it was only 12.5 running so we assumed it was no good and replaced the regulator, no luck still so replaced the entire alternator, first we ended up with a brand new alternator which was wrong and the shop couldn't take it back as we'd tried to fit it without thinking auto and manual may be different so that's now sat on the shelf -_-.

The replacement one we were told was from a rev 1 auto same as ours
Anyhow, replacement alternator in, the issue still remains.

The battery light will not go out and still reading 12.5v running, we've had the cables to the alt tested and they are all reading fine according to the person that read it, the main fuse looks good.

We discovered that there may be a second smaller fuse for the alt so we are going to have a hunt for that today, then clean all the possible contacts, and replace the battery itself. After that, we are out of ideas :(

As you can tell we are not very experienced with the MR2s yet! Plenty of good knowledge on here though so we have paid up our membership now :)
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

engine earths. are they good, are they all there?

Where are you reading the 12.5v from?

Is the battery alright, has it been tested without being connected to the car?
Tsukijin-Akiyama

The battery was with the car when we purchased it, but within minutes of removing her from the transporter this problem initially arose, as if something were knocked loose. Today we will be changing the battery for a new one, and checking all the earths once we find them all.

The reading was taken from the connector on the alternator where the white wire goes into the alternator
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

Measure the battery voltage with the car switched off and then with it switched on and running.

It may be that the battery is dying and the alternator output is being dragged down by a faulty battery.
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
Tsukijin-Akiyama

She's had a new battery just now. Light is still on:/
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

What are the voltages with the new battery? Car off vs. Car running
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
Tsukijin-Akiyama

Been faffing all day with it cleaning connections etc, we've now got 12.5v off 14.5v running, but the light is still on
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

Check the continuity of the black/yellow wire going from the alt connector to connector EB1 in the engine bay fuse box. Also Check that the pins have good contact.
auzzam

Post by auzzam »

mr2magic wrote:Check the continuity of the black/yellow wire going from the alt connector to connector EB1 in the engine bay fuse box. Also Check that the pins have good contact.

This, and also make sure your immobilizer (if you have one) is switched off, as it doesnt let the correct voltage through otherwise ... I felt like a complete wally when I found out the cable was actually correct I just didnt switch off the immobilizer ](*,)
Tsukijin-Akiyama

Thanks I'll have the wire tested. No immobiliser on her luckily one less thing to wrestle with

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”