www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Track car setup.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Motorsport and Trackdays
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave_1987
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Track car setup. Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hi. I have recently bough my first Mr2. Its a rev5 3s ge. I bought it cheap to use a track car. Since buying it i have done trackdays at Croft, Oulton and im back at Croft on good friday. I have been very impressed with its capabilities and reliability after being told they dont handle and spin out very easily. It has Tein coilovers all round with the adjustable front top mounts and Toyo R888s and a few other modifications. I was wondering if anyone could help with some specs for toe, caster and camber. I have always built fwd drive cars for track use but with the Mr2 being mid engined it will behave differently when cornering. If anyone could help me with what works best and advice for setting it up or any other tips i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance Dave.
Gee Man
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 57

1998 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

i'll find a picture of my current set up mate which i find nice on track.

I love the fact that people say they don't handle very well
[Laughing]
Gee Man
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Here you go mate

Last edited by Gee Man on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
monkeyra
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 13

1990 Toyota MR2 Mk2 V6

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

That says it's for a scooby?
Dave_1987
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Thanks for the reply. It does say its for a scooby ?. Yeah i was pleasantly suprized after reading about people saying they were a handfull to drive and have a bad reputation for spinning out and once they start to go you cant catch it. I found it handled well and was very managable when it let go.
Gee Man
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

monkeyra wrote:
That says it's for a scooby?

Well spotted, i had my impreza set up at the same place [Embarassed]

Correct one now added [Very Happy]
Dave_1987
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Thanks. Thats very similar to what iv set mine to. Now i have seen yours i know im somewhere near. People seem to run 3+ degrees of camber on the front which i was unsure if it was a bit overkill. Mid engined cars dont usually have lots of front camber.
Gee Man
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Dave_1987 wrote:
Thanks. Thats very similar to what iv set mine to. Now i have seen yours i know im somewhere near. People seem to run 3+ degrees of camber on the front which i was unsure if it was a bit overkill. Mid engined cars dont usually have lots of front camber.

Yeah that much camber would kill tyres off on the road pretty quickly. I guess you could try it if it's just a track car and see how it feels.
Gazza_DJ
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Gee Man wrote:
Here you go mate

Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z211/Gee_Man-23/IMG_20170322_195735.jpg[/URL]

Am I reading that right, 42 minutes total toe in at the rear? Seems quite high?
Race Idiot
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 25

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I've been running around -2 on the front. But it looks like I should've checked clearances as the sidewall was coming into contact with my coilovers [blackeye]

Ordered some 5mm hubcentric spacers and extended studs [Mr. Green]
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Yeah, I'm at about -2deg all round on mine. For a little while I had ~1.5 degrees more camber at the front than the back (mistake when putting the car back together after having the rear subframe off), and I really didn't like it, shifted the balance of the car massively to oversteer and not a in a good way!

Race Idiot - spacers might not be necessary, sometimes you can obtain the clearance required by adding a little bit of positive camber at the hub (most coilovers have a bit of adjustment via slotted holes where it mounts to the hub), and compensating by adding more negative camber at the top mount. Obviously depends on widths and offsets of the front wheel etc.
Gee Man
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Gazza_DJ wrote:
Gee Man wrote:
Here you go mate

Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z211/Gee_Man-23/IMG_20170322_195735.jpg[/URL]

Am I reading that right, 42 minutes total toe in at the rear? Seems quite high?

Yeah mate that's correct. Helps when braking. The place that set it up are a race team essentially. Awesome place but really expensive [pale]
Gazza_DJ
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Gee Man wrote:

Yeah mate that's correct. Helps when braking. The place that set it up are a race team essentially. Awesome place but really expensive [pale]

Fair enough! [thumleft]
Race Idiot
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 25

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Gazza_DJ wrote:
Yeah, I'm at about -2deg all round on mine. For a little while I had ~1.5 degrees more camber at the front than the back (mistake when putting the car back together after having the rear subframe off), and I really didn't like it, shifted the balance of the car massively to oversteer and not a in a good way!

Race Idiot - spacers might not be necessary, sometimes you can obtain the clearance required by adding a little bit of positive camber at the hub (most coilovers have a bit of adjustment via slotted holes where it mounts to the hub), and compensating by adding more negative camber at the top mount. Obviously depends on widths and offsets of the front wheel etc.

My coilovers didn't come with topmounts and re-used my trd ones. So all adjustment was done from those slotted holes! If this doesn't work out maybe I'll end up getting some adjustable ones.
Dave_1987
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Thanks for the replies. Very helpfull. Its best using tried a tested settings rather than guessing and getting it wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Motorsport and Trackdays All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: