Rev4 Turbo *mini photoshoot*

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimGTS

Re: Rev4 Turbo *mini photoshoot*

Post by jimGTS »

Was just teasing. It was recorded when I was boost leak testing. :mrgreen:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

jimGTS wrote:Was just teasing. It was recorded when I was boost leak testing. :mrgreen:

HaHa, The first thing i thought was how you managed to take a photo of it, then i remembered you were working on fitting and tunning the new turbo so pressumed it was just a Blip :oops: ie. you were fiming your boost, i'll get my coat #-o
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

You couldn't have known. Though 0 oil pressure would have given the game away car wasn't on at least.
The gauges have peak readings, fun seeing them go off, same with the EBC.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Funny you mentioned fuel pump.

Mine just died!!

I noted my Afr's getting leaner and leaner on boost during my B road blast, like 12s, then 13s. I thought maybe sensor acting up as car was still running well.
All of a sudden cruising got quite lean, started to splutter, then died. Won't start.
Fuel pressure gauge showing low, but need to give it 12v at the plug to confirm.

Currently waiting for a trailer!!

Hopefully not done any damage running on boost that lean.

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Well after a wait, eventually got home.
Fp and B+ doesn't work on my car. So I gave fuel pump 12v directly from the plug and showed full pressure!!

Confused, I tired to start the car and it fired up no problem, revved freely!
Weird, now even more confused!

The car doesn't have a fuel pump relay or resistor pack, wasn't swapped on the conversion so should be easy to trace wiring.

Am thinking either pump is overheating as getting old or the wiring not up to the job. But if it's the former I can't test it without going for a good drive, I'd hate to get stuck again so I'm going to drop the tank anyway and fit a Supra pump and rewire given whatever pump is in there is a minimum of 6/7years.

Better to do now I guess.

This is from the 1991 usdm BGB but gen3 must be identical.

Fuel pump 12v feed from circuit opening relay

FPR pin on Ecu switches between high and low voltage via resistor pack

Where it then routes off to the diag port
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

had a bit of time over the weekend to get started on this

i confirm there was a stock turbo pump in there (denso 195130-0701, believe NA pump ends 080X), and it may just be my imagination, now ive swapped in the walbro, pressure is staying in the system for longer once switched off. which is a good sign i heard.

(car isnt running yet, just testing pump and pressure).

GOD I HATE A PUMP SWAP ON STANDS AND ON YOUR OWN!

:shock: :pale:

pump and sock looked very clean, so was the fuel.
i still plan on uprating the pump wiring though, and use the pump feed as a switch for a separate relay just to rule it out.

my FP wire on the diag port has never worked (to get pump going with paperclip), can confirm it doesnt have continuity with the pump, shocker! so bridged B+ to the circuit opening relay wire..... easier than chucking a battery in the cabin at the fuel pump plug!

couldnt for life of me undo the banjo bolt at the tank, spent like over an hour on it, removed the engine mount and everything to get some force on it, still nothing. so did the trick i used last time, and unbolted the line at the fuel filter and fed that all the way through with the tank, just needed to be careful not to bend it. should have done this in the first place really!!
](*,)

in addition i knew one of the pipes from hell was bypassed and was sitting above the tank, this was clearly done when the conversion was done many years ago to fit the turbo pump.
but i wasnt expecting it to be squashed to sh*t, cut, deformed!!
](*,)
thankfully wasnt leaking. not even cable tied in place! no wonder was in a mess.
:shock: :shock:

i had plans to remove the hardlines completely anyways once the tank was out and reroute the heater hoses under the car, so will be replaced with some new 19mm hose.

Draven

Post by Draven »

Lovely work. :)
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Now my turbo and cat is all out, i better attempt my fuel pump swap too...
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Good work Jim! Did you drain the tank in the end before removing?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Yeh I bought 2x20ltr jerry cans which I filled to the brim.
You can see one of them in the pics.
Glad I did, cheers.

Had to drain off of the fuel filter otherwise I'd have been there for hours through the return line.

Here's the pipes from hell

And redoing the heater system

Only getting couple of hours here and there.
Got a new custom expansion tank setup to sort as well.
Last edited by jimGTS on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

markstevieandmads wrote:Now my turbo and cat is all out, i better attempt my fuel pump swap too...

Removing the entire engine mount made my life easier.
Didn't find the turbo too much in the way.

Hoses on the fuel separator thingy were a pita!
Infact alot of it is a pita.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Well good news.
All back together and went for a good 2hr blast yesterday and all was well.
On boost afrs consistent and shows I have plenty of fuel yet to use!
Seems the oem pump was either overheating or couldn't pump out the flow required anymore.

In the end I setup the uprated fuel pump wiring but not plugged it in for now.

While I had things in bits I've gone back to the oem coolent neck as my TCS one was leaking by the welds! Annoying. I also removed their coolant bypass hose, I replaced it with a cut up customised oem line instead. Works well and correct sizing.

At the same time ive gone to a custom expansion tank setup, sitting in the bay for now until I can make up some brackets to fit it in the boot.
Clear hosing too to check it's doing what it's supposed to.

Not the best video. But you can see the coolant system vaccum working.
Excuse the manky clamp need to sort that

https://youtu.be/ula4TVO6XqI

Hopefully some new daylight on boost vid soon!!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Quick little vid. Unfortunately battery on the camera was low so didn't get a lot.

Still, some fun sounds!!

https://youtu.be/CpCnIGtB4qE
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

jimGTS wrote:Quick little vid. Unfortunately battery on the camera was low so didn't get a lot.

Still, some fun sounds!!

Boy do i miss having a T-bar, Car Sounds wicked though, do you think you will be able to match the ct20b set up on the quarter mile with this set up and boost ?

Looking forward to what's next and your next quarter mile experiences, love this car :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Martin F wrote:
jimGTS wrote:Quick little vid. Unfortunately battery on the camera was low so didn't get a lot.

Still, some fun sounds!!

Boy do i miss having a T-bar, Car Sounds wicked though, do you think you will be able to match the ct20b set up on the quarter mile with this set up and boost ?

Looking forward to what's next and your next quarter mile experiences, love this car :thumleft:

yeh first time the tops were out for a few months! woop!!

not sure yet, hard to tell overall performance difference, as coming from a more laggy setup, its more violent than the 20b which is ace! but whether or not is making the same top end, hard to tell at the mo. at this boost level anyways vs the 1.2 i ran before.

ive gone back to the oem ecu for now, just so i have a more conservative map. less timing, more fuel over the blitz ecu.
fitting the walbro i think has freed up more available fuel (though that doesnt make any sense really), even at 1bar, i had AFRs in the low 10s.
ive dropped fuel pressure a few psi and is running well! AFRs high to mid 10s.
i may just take it up to near OEM fuel cut, slight tweak of the SAFC2, maybe consider dropping in 10% race fuel and see how i get on.

i would like to think i have potential for a low 12 second pass anyways, consistent mid 12s once its up and running fully.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

small update, car going very well.

must be a good 1000+miles on the new turbo now, checked for play and still rock solid!! no smoke, oil usage etc.

who knew a turbo rebuild was this easy :mrgreen:

the other week went out on a sunday morning run with the Kent Coast Run crew, car performed great.

i have since tweaked my boost control, as i was experiencing a number of boost spikes on the run from heavy stamps of the throttle, thankfully bringing my Gain value very low over the last couple of days has now sorted it.
Guess the billet helps it spool up pretty darn quick!

Ive even swapped back in my Blitz ECU, AFRs very good, kept it at 1bar for now.
Looks like my lean mid range condition has to be down to my old fuel pump! Even at 1bar on the TD06 in the 3-4k rpm range im now in the 12s, like the stock ecu, it was not like this with the oem fuel pump! I saw 13/14s even on the 20b. (eventually going down to 11s then high 10s).

So happy to carry on with the Blitz, and carry on tweaking things. Its clear i have more room for more boost! whoop!

I may even get myself along to TOTB! Ill be last, but be fun none the less.

Only snag ive hit now is my Flexy has gone on the Berk. Id guess due to the cramped fitting of the TD06 downpipe, mildly annoying!

ANYONE SELLING A NICE EXHAUST??

Also want to fit a Gasket between the downpipe and turbo, as seeing signs of minor exhaust leak there, seems they are hard to come by though! May have to source direct from Greddy.

ImageClear roads by James Guy, on Flickr
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

found this random video from the POV of a modified 335D...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzR2evsv62w

screamer sounds fun.
that run was a 12.8 at 110mph.

running very rich on the 1/4, i guess due to heatsoak, something not quite right top end of 3rd and 4th.
need some more tweaking and tuning i feel.
ran super rich on strip compared to on the road.

Radtec chargecooler now is on the cards and pure 100% meth injection.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Very gracious of you what you wrote to the 335D owner but we all know it ain't true :lol: he has a chance.. Ha(!)

That win was more delicious to me as it was a win for petrol heads. Diesels (never stop banging on about the 335d on PH) and most importantly DCT and autos should be banned from drag strip :-: .

No skill in gears being changed for you. rant over :bounce: :lol:
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Odin_S wrote:Very gracious of you what you wrote to the 335D owner but we all know it ain't true :lol: he has a chance.. Ha(!)

That win was more delicious to me as it was a win for petrol heads. Diesels (never stop banging on about the 335d on PH) and most importantly DCT and autos should be banned from drag strip :-: .

No skill in gears being changed for you. rant over :bounce: :lol:

Can someone translate please
androo007

Post by androo007 »

I've got a 335i which is mapped to 383hp, and a friend has the new 335d X drive.

It has launch control, weighs 2 tonnes but hits 0-60 in what, 4.7 seconds?

Both cars way outperform many tuned cars and cost nothing in comparison.

The new universal 8 speed boxes are just incredible too.

Return to “Member Profiles”