Spring Rates

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

Spring Rates

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying BC Racing Coilovers type BR and I was wondering what spring rate to go for.

What is the standard spring rate? Does anyone know what the spring rates are for the lesjofors springs that come with the Koni kit? As i've been running these for the last 8 years...

Many thanks
Alex
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Spring Rates

Post by Lauren »

Generally the spring rates for coilovers are a fair bit higher than they would be for stock. But better damping doesn't necessarily mean a harsher ride. BC offer three options for spring rates. 5/8kg seems the likely option. For a slightly easier ride 4/7kg, or 4/6kg may be preferable, though I'm not sure that BC offer custom spring rates like say, Tein do. I would generally want to reduce the difference between front and rear a bit. I went for 6/5kg from Tein for my AE86, but I had them made to spec.

I don't know the stock spring rates but they will be low, like 2/3kg or some such.

http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/applications ... -ra-4.html
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I'm also struggling to find OEM bushes for the rest of my suspension.

Don't think polybushing will be a good idea.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

BC do offer some spring options but it seems to be specific to the model. For example I have 4/6KG on my Mk2 which is an option on the BR's.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:I'm also struggling to find OEM bushes for the rest of my suspension.

Don't think polybushing will be a good idea.

Polybushing doesn't really make it harsher as such. I take it you've tried Toyota. You never know and all that.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

If it's anything like the Mk2 then the bushes may only be available as a complete assembly with the arms = expensive!

Polymer tech has come a long way since the Max Power days, modern polybushes are a lot better than they used to be.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”