[Mk2] [Turbo] Canuck in need of TRC info and any help possible!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

caboose36

[Mk2] [Turbo] Canuck in need of TRC info and any help possible!

Post by caboose36 »

Hey guys, Im Rob, or Caboose36, Im from Winnipeg, MB, Canada, and I have a 1992 RHD MR2 Turbo, and it seems to have come factory with ABS, Traction control, and and LSD. ](*,)

I have hit a rut, and despite as much research as I could do, I cant find much info on google, or anywhere on the net regarding the traction control system. So lemme try to throw you guys down on it.

I bought my MR2 around 5 years ago, have been driving it, and loving it, with her basic bolt on upgrades. She has treated me pretty well over the years, and every spring when the roads are dry, and I get to take her out, Im as happy as I could ever be.

However, sadly, when I bought my MR2, there was a TRC light on the dash. I never really thought anything of it as I didn't think I could care less about there being a traction control issue. Sadly, over the years of getting tired of this light, and the lack of the TRC working, I decided to rip into it.

First thing I did, was jump the Diag. ports so I can read some codes. ABS codes came up all clean and dandy, however I have the pesky TRC code 43, and if my memory serves me correct, it has to do with the Accumulator pump running too long, then shutting down to prevent damage.

So I dug into it as hard as I can, and through the wonders of the internet I was able to find the way to bleed my accumulator and actuator for my TRC. However, after doing so, I got a couple hundred KMs on her with the TRC working, and boom, the light came on. Same code, 43.

Long story short, we just re-bled the system. No air in it what so ever. So I am stuck at a stand still and am looking for any help I can get. For me, its not as easy as just getting rid of the TRC. Most would say it sucks and isnt worth it. WELL! If I get it fixed, and I dont want to use it, I want to just be able to hit the OFF button and go on my way. ;)

But in all honesty, I am certainly stuck. I dont really know where else to start. System doesn't have any air in it, so I am stuck at there likely being no pressure?

-The system tries to build pressure, but isnt able too because of lack of gas in the accumulator? Can I get it recharged?

-The system is able to build up the pressure, but it quickly dissipates because of a bad solenoid, and the pump keeps trying to build it up?

-The system is practically fine, but there is a pressure sensor that is shot and is causing the pump to constantly run?

I am totally at a stand still here. If anyone has any pointers, or knowledge, and is willing to try there best to help me out, I would greatly appreciate it. Getting my TRC up and running does mean a lot to me. But my lack of knowledge, and availability of info is hurting my progress of fixing the problem.

If you're able to give me a hand, or even point me in the direction of someone to help, thank you.

Cheers,
Rob \:D/
caboose36

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Canuck in need of TRC info and any help possible!

Post by caboose36 »

Im not trying to do a big bump or anything, just an update. If Im in the wrong for posting an update like this, let me know. :)

So after bleeding the system last night, we decided to pull the MR2 out onto my driveway which is pretty much all ice. ABS System surges when the ABS kicks in, and the TRC seems to work when the clutch gets dumped. It seems to be functioning correctly as of now. When driven on the highway is when the system seems to trip the code 43 though. Sadly I dont have it road worthy so she wont be going for a test drive for another couple of months.

Im questioning whether or not there is and Nitro in the accumulator, which I mentioned in my first post. I read about guys on the lexus forums getting them recharged. Anyone have any info on the steps to do this on a MR2?

I cannot tell if the brakes on the rear wheels are being applied. Im going to assume there should also be some sort of pressure noise being made by the system upfront when the TRC activates, though?

Any info is appreciated.

Rob
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Hi ya

I used to have a 1994 JDM mr2 mk2 rev3 turbo that had the Toyota ABS/TRC.
Owned it from around 2001 thru 2014(ish) and never had a problem with the TRC, maybe because it was driven a lot as my only car and had over 200,000 miles on the clock when I sold it. (Clock was in km, but that is the equivalent miles).

Most of the time I left the TRC on and sometimes I turned it off.

When the TRC was activated I dont remember hearing anything from the front of the car as there would be a lot of noise from the rear as the electronics try to stop the rear wheels spinning up. Not sure why you mention rear brakes as the traction control is connected to the throttle bodies so momentarily reducing the power rather than momentarily applying rear brake to momentarily try to stop the wheels spin, and repeating rapidly. Dont remember seeing the TRC light on the dash when it was doing this but my friends car did apparently.

My friend still has their 1994 mr2 mk2 rev3 TRC car (from approx 2003 onwards) and I have not heard of any problems with TRC and that car does get stored over winter.

I dont know enough to really help other than say it seems to be a reliable system (as in lack of error codes, and will still let the car goes sideways if suitably provoked).

Good luck
caboose36

Post by caboose36 »

rev3gtturbo wrote:Hi ya

I used to have a 1994 JDM mr2 mk2 rev3 turbo that had the Toyota ABS/TRC.
Owned it from around 2001 thru 2014(ish) and never had a problem with the TRC, maybe because it was driven a lot as my only car and had over 200,000 miles on the clock when I sold it. (Clock was in km, but that is the equivalent miles).

Most of the time I left the TRC on and sometimes I turned it off.

When the TRC was activated I dont remember hearing anything from the front of the car as there would be a lot of noise from the rear as the electronics try to stop the rear wheels spinning up. Not sure why you mention rear brakes as the traction control is connected to the throttle bodies so momentarily reducing the power rather than momentarily applying rear brake to momentarily try to stop the wheels spin, and repeating rapidly. Dont remember seeing the TRC light on the dash when it was doing this but my friends car did apparently.

My friend still has their 1994 mr2 mk2 rev3 TRC car (from approx 2003 onwards) and I have not heard of any problems with TRC and that car does get stored over winter.

I dont know enough to really help other than say it seems to be a reliable system (as in lack of error codes, and will still let the car goes sideways if suitably provoked).

Good luck

Hey man! Thanks for the reply! I dont know if I am correct, but I remember reading somewhere, could have been for another Toyota/Lexus car, that the pump and accumulator assembly is there to send braking power to help slow the wheels, in conjunction to the throttle cut!

Now, whether or not that was just specific to the other cars where I have been getting most of my info from (LS400), Im clueless.

Sadly, after the car sitting for about a month after fixing it, then driving for the past week or so, putting around 250KM's on it, the light has come on again. Still stuck where to look. I dont know what to check for the second TPS for the unit, or anywhere else.

Might be one those ignore the light, or pull the light out, scenarios, sadly. If anyone has any input, or where I should start looking for issues with the car, Im all ears. So far it doesnt look like there are any leaks in the system, or air getting into it either. Last time it was bled, fluid came out perfectly. I fear I may have to start throwing another accumulator and or actuator assembly in.

Thanks!

Rob
caboose36

Post by caboose36 »

Little update and bump, checked codes last night. Same old TRC 43 code, but this time Im getting a code for the ABS. Its ABS 54. Cant find anything about an ABS 54 code. Anyone know what the 54 is for? Havent taken the car out yet today, but will shortly.

Return to “Mechanical”