O2 sensor poss?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

robbie_742003

O2 sensor poss?

Post by robbie_742003 »

Hi all, sometimes if I've been running the car about a bit it sometimes struggles to start and when I've done a really long run it wouldn't start for a while and stunk of fuel. I'm thinking 02 sensor possibly? Any other thoughts?
Thanks
Rob
Mullen

Re: O2 sensor poss?

Post by Mullen »

The car should run fine without the lambda connected so it's not that causing the starting issue.
I'd check your coil, igniter and the rest of the ignition system first.
robbie_742003

Post by robbie_742003 »

They're all pretty new really.
It always starts, if it's left for a few hours it starts as soon as the key is turned but if I've restarted after a few minutes, it feels like it's over fuelled and takes a few seconds to get going and in the summer with the tops off it reeks of petrol after a while.
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

The igniter and coil earth through the cage that holds them on the rear firewall. Worth checking that's still making a good connection.
Some people run a second earth just to be sure.
Do you have error codes 21 or 25? Both are lambda related.

Also, check your exhaust system, the b-pipe in particular because I've had holes in mine before the O2 sensor and it does overfuel then. Taking the heatshields off can be a pain but the last two have cracked right on the two-into-one join.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”