[Mk2] [Turbo] KO Racing R1 exhaust fitment issue

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tiff_lee

[Mk2] [Turbo] KO Racing R1 exhaust fitment issue

Post by tiff_lee »

Finally getting round to fitting my KO Racing exhaust and have a slight issue with the exhaust sitting hard against the rear crossmember, there is actually tension pushing/pulling it against it.

I'm putting this down to a alignment issue with my berk downpipe and KO exhaust, given the shoddy quality of the Berk i'm not at all surprised tbh.

If I push the exhaust up I can get the necessary clearance (the flex is occurring on the berk downpipe)

and providing I modify the berk support bracket (as it's miles out) i'll be able to secure the exhaust in this position.

Now the question is will securing the downpipe in this position with some tension on the flexible cause me any issues later? I suppose in a sense it's kind of tough because it's not like I have any other option but still figured i'd get a second opinion.
androo007

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] KO Racing R1 exhaust fitment issue

Post by androo007 »

the flexi pipe will take some of the strain but overall its not super ideal.....

I had a non flexi downpipe crack within 200 miles because it was under strain.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Yeah i'm not keen on pushing the pipe up and holding it there with the bracket but the only other option is going to be cutting the pipe and rewelding it which while not completely out of the question i'm just not sure if I want to go there just yet.

How did you resolve your alignment issue after the cracked downpipe? did you replace the downpipe and the alignment was all good or repair the pipe and make adjustments at the time?
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

Sounds a tad brutal and would certainly feel like I was destroying a lovely exhaust... but I would have the ball peen hammer out to reshape that area around the subframe, little heat never hurts either. (I await an many comments about dents causing gas restrictions and loss of power).
craig

Post by craig »

yokomomr4bx wrote:Sounds a tad brutal and would certainly feel like I was destroying a lovely exhaust... but I would have the ball peen hammer out to reshape that area around the subframe, little heat never hurts either. (I await an many comments about dents causing gas restrictions and loss of power).

That's what the Japspeed exhaust needs as unmodified it touches the subframe and requires some persuasion with a hammer to clear the subframe.

Wouldn't have expected to do that on a KO exhaust though!!!
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Problem is it may need a fair bit of modifying with the hammer to clear the subframe, it's not just sitting on the subframe there is some tension pulling it against it!

Given the made in China quality of my Berk I would say that is the cause of the issue and not the KO.

Pic from KO racing there should be bags of clearance

http://www.koracing.net/productimages// ... alled1.jpg
androo007

Post by androo007 »

I replaced the flexi section, yeah.
craig

Post by craig »

tiff_lee wrote:Problem is it may need a fair bit of modifying with the hammer to clear the subframe, it's not just sitting on the subframe there is some tension pulling it against it!

Given the made in China quality of my Berk I would say that is the cause of the issue and not the KO.

Pic from KO racing there should be bags of clearance

http://www.koracing.net/productimages// ... alled1.jpg

I would agree. I've seen a few people fit the KO exhaust over the years, and complaints of it touching the subframe and needing modification to clear are unheard of.
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

I have the Japspeed fitted with a berk downpipe, it is very close, if I remember rightly though I pushed the joint between the downpipe and the mid-section (the three bolt flange) up as high as it could go in the berk downpipe bracket. I think I then used a few penny washer under the hanger on the subframe to push it up a few mil so it just clears by a few hairs width. Haven't had any problem with it for many years and the berk downpipe has been absolutely fine. That being said it sounds as though yours isn't just 'tapping' the subframe but more putting significant force down on it?
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

yokomomr4bx wrote:I have the Japspeed fitted with a berk downpipe, it is very close, if I remember rightly though I pushed the joint between the downpipe and the mid-section (the three bolt flange) up as high as it could go in the berk downpipe bracket. I think I then used a few penny washer under the hanger on the subframe to push it up a few mil so it just clears by a few hairs width. Haven't had any problem with it for many years and the berk downpipe has been absolutely fine. That being said it sounds as though yours isn't just 'tapping' the subframe but more putting significant force down on it?

Yeah basically if the subframe wasn't there it would naturally sit a little lower. I can move it up to clear it if I apply some force and then nip up on the berk bracket, I may just do that and when something breaks on the berk i'll just cut and reweld the flex then ffs.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Would a spacer between the flange just before the subframe help?
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

Yeh I reckon on nudging it up and clamping it there, I think that's gonna be the only quick fix to do before taking it all off and spending some proper time adjusting it.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

C35Rob wrote:Would a spacer between the flange just before the subframe help?

Just tried using some large nuts as a spacer and I think that might just work. That in conjunction with a bit of help from the berk downpipe support which sucks as ideally the exhaust should just sit as it wants without being manipulated but yeah I think an 8/10mm flange in there may just give me enough.

Going to order a flange this week and give it a go, bit of a mess about but I would rather try this first before taking an angle grinder to either part of the exhaust.

Nothing like paying top dollar for parts then having to finish it off yourself.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Got the spacer flange fitted now and should be all good.

Very annoying though considering what this exhaust cost and having another look at it the problem is with the KO exhaust. The muffler section was hard against the rear beam and if anything needed to move rearward (given all the space on the other side of the beam) and yet look at the amount of spacer washers I used on the hanger

had I bolted as is I would of been pulling the muffler section towards the beam....

Had it running in the garage tonight figured it was a bit late so i'll pop in the muffler insert, nope that doesn't fit either. Must of been a friday afternoon job.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Is the bung too big or too small? They should be a pretty tight fit otherwise they rattle a out and don't do a very good job.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Is the bung too big or too small? They should be a pretty tight fit otherwise they rattle a out and don't do a very good job.

Physically too big, was over 1.5mm too large.
I've spoken to Kris at KO racing about it and going to see what he says, i'm happy to dress the end of the insert in order to get it to fit but there won't be much left in terms of wall thickness when i'm done.

Return to “Mechanical”