[Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo Fuel Pump Replacement

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

markstevieandmads

[Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo Fuel Pump Replacement

Post by markstevieandmads »

Ive got a walboro to install on my rev 2 turbo. Ive read numerous posts and threads with regards to removing the tank to do this. Everyone has said what a pain in the backside it is to do.
To me it seems like its a lot of bolts and seperating the fuel lines etc at the engine end.

Looking at the pics, would it be possible to remove all the bolts but leave the main lines at the engine end connected and just dropping the tank at one end? Is there enough room (provided the car is jacked up enough of course or on a ramp) to just drop one end of the tank to reach the pump to remove and replace with the walboro? It seems i could save a lot of time without having to disconnect at the engine end if this was possible?
Milo_101

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo Fuel Pump Replacement

Post by Milo_101 »

Dropping the tank is really not that bad. I did it by myself the first time, in a couple of hours. The car needs to be jacked up on all four corners, and you're gonna drop it on one end first.

It's really a good idea to empty the tank as much as possible. That way you avoid having it fall and dent itself when you release the straps/bolts holding it in place.
It's really not that bad. Some people have cut under the armrest so they can get access to the pump, but I did not find it necessary as it was not that hard.

Here is a guide. Go to the dropdown menu all the way to the right names "service and how to's". you'll find a guide with pictures that will help you.

Good luck.
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Milo_101 wrote:Dropping the tank is really not that bad. I did it by myself the first time, in a couple of hours. The car needs to be jacked up on all four corners, and you're gonna drop it on one end first.

It's really a good idea to empty the tank as much as possible. That way you avoid having it fall and dent itself when you release the straps/bolts holding it in place.
It's really not that bad. Some people have cut under the armrest so they can get access to the pump, but I did not find it necessary as it was not that hard.

Here is a guide. Go to the dropdown menu all the way to the right names "service and how to's". you'll find a guide with pictures that will help you.

Good luck.

Wheres the guide. Thanks
Milo_101

Post by Milo_101 »

markstevieandmads wrote:
Milo_101 wrote:Dropping the tank is really not that bad. I did it by myself the first time, in a couple of hours. The car needs to be jacked up on all four corners, and you're gonna drop it on one end first.

Good luck.

Wheres the guide. Thanks

Silly me

here you go sir:
http://www.koracing.net/mr2modproject/mr2modproject.htm

Return to “Mechanical”