[Mk2] [Turbo] Home made castor control arms

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kennym

[Mk2] [Turbo] Home made castor control arms

Post by kennym »

I'm pretty pleased with these, the plan was to make several pairs to sell but I soon re thought that,

anyway what do you think? if I did them again I'd do them out of lighter stainless.

https://www.facebook.com/kennymr2build/ ... =3&theater
qwakers

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Home made castor control arms

Post by qwakers »

FFS dont click right on his picture stream if you're squeamish! :pale:
Last edited by qwakers on Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kennym

sorry

Post by kennym »

Oh sorry about that I got a bit of a flesh wound at work!
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

:clap: impressive mate.
kennym

?

Post by kennym »

qwakers wrote::clap: impressive mate.

which the part or the arm?
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

both if truth be told :)
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Nice workmanship they look sweet.

Do a lot of people fit these to a 2, are they considered necessary? Megan racing do an off the shelf replacement although not stainless.
kennym

why

Post by kennym »

An increased positive caster will give better directional stability I'm pretty sure it will help straighten the wheels (self correct)

The power steering will take care of the additional steering effort the high cator will cause.

And its another something to play with & potentially get wrong lol
Mike N

Post by Mike N »

Are you doing sets Kenny?
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

they look really good, well done :thumleft:

I've got a set of cusco adjustable tension rods on mine, and added quite a bit of castor when I had it aligned - the mr2 has around 3 degrees stock, mine is 4.5 degrees.

It's a good modification, as the OP said it improves straight line stability and aids self-centre, it also increases outside wheel negative camber gain on lock - i.e when turning right, the weight of the car will shift onto the left hand side of the car and the left wheel wheel will gain negative camber, and the right hand wheel will gain positive camber - effectively flattening it out and increasing it's contact patch as the car rolls over to the left which is good for cornering
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
kennym

Lol

Post by kennym »

Thanks Rob you're right about the camber changes

I couldn't be bothered vocalising all that & my explanation wouldn't of been as articulate as yous lol
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

C35Rob wrote:
I've got a set of cusco adjustable tension rods on mine

I just tried searching for cusco tension rods and the only rev3+ type ones I could find were used on yahoo japan, then when searching the part number stamped on them it came up with an earlier type (the straight end part)?
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

tiff_lee wrote:
C35Rob wrote:
I've got a set of cusco adjustable tension rods on mine

I just tried searching for cusco tension rods and the only rev3+ type ones I could find were used on yahoo japan, then when searching the part number stamped on them it came up with an earlier type (the straight end part)?

there's a set of used ones on YAJ now for 9k JPY, there seem to be listings for new ones too for but the caveat being for 91+ vehicles you need to back-date to rev 1 brackets.

I'd not hesitate to buy a used set over a new china set (megan, hardrace etc), god knows how old the ones on my car are but there's zero play in the bearings, they're really high quality, however it wouldn't be hard to modify a standard pair as the OP has, and would probably be cheaper than buying from Japan
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Yeah I did see them not sure how much i'll get stitched for charges and shipping though.

Nengun list them for pre and post 91 models although oddly they both have the same part number, the same part number that is stamped on those later revision used ones which when google'd only brings up images of the early model ><

Is there any particular reason Toyota changed the design? I have a spare parts MR2 with the early style so if it's just a case of a bracket swap I could do that no problem but still wonder why did they change it in the first place? I 'd rather not take a step backwards.

Nengun comes in at around £216 now whether that is indeed the later revision will remain to be seen. RHD Japan is about £195 for the early model.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I think the rev1 design version would bind as they were not on a proper pivot. Plus would fare worse in an accident?

Another way to increase caster is to use the Wilhelm topmounts
http://wilhelmraceworks.com/coilover-top-mounts
kennym

Top mount

Post by kennym »

I looked at these but you do loose the easy damper adjustment on your top mount Alex runs as much caster as he can for the us automating he does iirc it about 7 degrees, I'm hoping for arond 5 which I think will suit my use better.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

tiff_lee wrote:
Nengun list them for pre and post 91 models although oddly they both have the same part number, the same part number that is stamped on those later revision used ones which when google'd only brings up images of the early model ><.

I contacted nengun to see if they could confirm the 91 post models are the style as per the OPs post I assume they would be but since both styles have the same part number I wanted confirmation before dropping a wedge of cash and potentially having to send them back.

Unfortunately the Chap from nengun has told me that despite his requests cusco have basically told him they are too busy to respond to such a request , wth?
kennym

?

Post by kennym »

customer servive1

way to go cusco

Return to “Modifications”