Strut Tops Front & Rear

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

phaeton

Strut Tops Front & Rear

Post by phaeton »

Car flew through it's test after being sat 8 years, but MOT tester said there was very slight play in 3 of the 4 top mounts, no problem thinks I, I'll just buy new, was thinking about some 30mm lowering springs anyway, but OMG the price of them. TCB list them as no longer available, Mr Ben wants £646.14 for a set of 4, even TwosRus want $554.00 & that is before shipping & tax, are there any other logical alternatives?

There's an offer on BC coilover complete for £599 which includes the top mounts, but I suspect the ride must be too harsh for my old bones.
Angpozzuto

Re: Strut Tops Front & Rear

Post by Angpozzuto »

I'm running bc coilovers on my mk1 v6 they are definitely stiffer than stock but I found that they did soften a little after they were first installed. also They are very uncomfortable on 17s as the low profile tyres do nothing to help cushion the ride I'm on 16s now and its not too harsh but my car is only a summer toy and only comes out for meets and runs really
phaeton

Post by phaeton »

Thanks for the reply mine is also V6 on 16's I definatly don't want a harsh ride, used to have a R33 on Tein & that was far too harsh for me but that was on 18's
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

Has anyone looked at using mk2 strut tops?

What did Neil do on his sprint car with the mk2 suspension conversion?
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

I might have remembered incorrectly, it looks like he only changed the hubs, thus allowing him to use the stronger mk2 turbo drive shafts.
phaeton

Post by phaeton »

I can get new fronts, apparently they are the same as MK2's but it's the rears that are causing the issue.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”