[Mk2] [Turbo] Can't find right car considering build options.

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Sleipnir

[Mk2] [Turbo] Can't find right car considering build options.

Post by Sleipnir »

Hi,

I really want a rev 3+ turbo tin top but there's nothing out there that I like for sale atm.

I saw gee mans conversion and it got me thinking.

I could get a good G limited tintop with all the jdm spec , again not commonly available but does open up more potential cars. Then turbo convert it.

Just wondering if anyone had any advice or insights to offer on doing a conversion properly.

I know gee man used a later era Na/block (somehow stronger ?) plus a rev three head.

Anyone have a concept of the costs to do something similar ?

I would ask him but it seems he's not been on for a while and not seen my pms to respond.

Though part of me thinks it would be better to sit it out for the right factory turbo to pop up as it will hold its value way better than a converted car.

Cheers
Race Idiot

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Can't find right car considering build options.

Post by Race Idiot »

If I was looking for a turbo now I'd probably look at importing one. Better to get as close as possible to the spec you want than spend time doing a conversion imo.
craig

Post by craig »

Race Idiot wrote:If I was looking for a turbo now I'd probably look at importing one. Better to get as close as possible to the spec you want than spend time doing a conversion imo.

Agree with the above entirely.
Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

I'm starting to think you are possibly right but didn't fancy paying out maybe a grand then waiting for ages. My budget is 5k at the moment so after paying the importers I have maybe 4k for a car , does that really get you anything nice on import ?
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Sleipnir wrote:I'm starting to think you are possibly right but didn't fancy paying out maybe a grand then waiting for ages. My budget is 5k at the moment so after paying the importers I have maybe 4k for a car , does that really get you anything nice on import ?

Based on current auction prices and exchange rate, no, definitely not.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

Argh , yes , forgot the pound was in the bin...

Appreciate you clarifying that.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Sleipnir wrote:Argh , yes , forgot the pound was in the bin...

Appreciate you clarifying that.

I've had a proper look at recent sales price data now.. prices are all over the place, for a 93+ turbo in grade 4 condition you're going to be paying anywhere from 500,000 jpy to 1,000,000 jpy. there was a grade 4.5 revision 5 turbo(exceptional condition) with 52,000kms that sold recently for 1,710,000 but that's not the norm.

500,000 would get you a 94/95 car in grade 4 condition with sensible miles, if you were to do the import process yourself (i.e not pay a middleman in the uk to fill out a few forms and collect it from the port for you) then based on today's exchange rate of 143/£ that would cost you around £6150 by the time vat, duty, registration fees etc are paid.

to get in on your £5k budget you wouldn't want to be paying more than 375,000 jpy at auction, that would get you a higher kms (150000kms-ish) grade 4 1993 car if you were lucky, or a grade 3.5 car more than likely

grade 3.5 cars can be really nice genuine cars that just have age related wear, or can be real shockers.. it's a bit of a minefield.

obviously if you do use an importer in this country they're going to charge you around £500-750+vat for their service, which leaves you even less in the pot to get a nice car over there.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

Sounds like I might have been alright before the pound fell off a cliff.

I'm really curious though , you seem to know your stuff is it possible to watch out for cars yourself to import ? I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Would be fascinated to look into it a bit more even if it's just for satisfying curiosity.

Thanks again

Return to “Modifications”