[Mk2] [Turbo] Side Mount Intercooler inlet temps back to back

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

2mad

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Side Mount Intercooler inlet temps back to back

Post by 2mad »

benfacer wrote:I did have a feeling this would open a can of worms! That's why I was trying to concentrate on finding numbers or tangible differences (like fins in pressure tubes)

CalMac wrote:Benfacer you should buy the Greddy SMIC - that's my Ebay ad :wink:

I would love to CalMac but just bought a exhaust so going to have to stop spending for a couple of months!

On a sunny day my greddy copys temp would be around 50c+ at the trottle body ... tried 3 air temp sensors all came out the same (was quite shocked by that) so bought a water/meth kit ... performance was night and day switched on or off (made a vid) ... maybe go down the chargecooler root , sidemounts are not ideal 8-[
benfacer

Post by benfacer »

2mad wrote:
benfacer wrote:I did have a feeling this would open a can of worms! That's why I was trying to concentrate on finding numbers or tangible differences (like fins in pressure tubes)

CalMac wrote:Benfacer you should buy the Greddy SMIC - that's my Ebay ad :wink:

I would love to CalMac but just bought a exhaust so going to have to stop spending for a couple of months!

On a sunny day my greddy copys temp would be around 50c+ at the trottle body ... tried 3 air temp sensors all came out the same (was quite shocked by that) so bought a water/meth kit ... performance was night and day switched on or off (made a vid) ... maybe go down the chargecooler root , sidemounts are not ideal 8-[

Thanks for that 2mad, exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.
What boost are you running? What are temps like with the water/meth?
Did you get any intake temps with standard cooler or was it only with uprated?

As I am said earlier I'm not looking for big power so sure intake temps won't be a big issue, just want to make the most of any upgrade I do.
I don't like the idea of a charge cooler, water is very heavy! Surprising how it adds up!!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

benfacer wrote:
2mad wrote:

Thanks for that 2mad, exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.
What boost are you running? What are temps like with the water/meth?
Did you get any intake temps with standard cooler or was it only with uprated?

As I am said earlier I'm not looking for big power so sure intake temps won't be a big issue, just want to make the most of any upgrade I do.
I don't like the idea of a charge cooler, water is very heavy! Surprising how it adds up!!

A. 1.1bar
B. vid .. http://vid948.photobucket.com/albums/ad ... chedon.mp4
C. never ran the stock cooler

In the vid it was 26-28c ambient temp on busy roads so hard to keep my foot in .. with w/m the longer your on boost the cooler the temps look.

the gauge is from ebay but the sensor is a proper iat sensor not the sh/t one that comes with it .. i checked calibration and it was all good, there 3 to 4 seconds lag on the gauge but you get the idea :thumleft: .

Hope this helps :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Yes but.....are air temps actually cooler, or are you just fooling the IAT sensor with the water condensing on it.....?

:-#
2mad

Post by 2mad »

ashley wrote:Yes but.....are air temps actually cooler, or are you just fooling the IAT sensor with the water condensing on it.....?

:-#

Yep that is the question , it was me that first asked that question on w/m thread ...

The metal hardpipe that goes from the intercooler to the throttlebody is cool to the touch after an hour of boosted driving , so its defiantly doing something cooling wise .. try touching that pipe with no w/m kit spraying :pale: .. personally im about 70/30 in favour of air temp being cooled, but i think the real kick is coming from the knock sensor seeing much better conditions in the engine and adjusting timing accordingly.

Guess only smartys have the answer :lol:
toecutter

Post by toecutter »

2mad wrote:the gauge is from ebay but the sensor is a proper iat sensor not the sh/t one that comes with it .. i checked calibration and it was all good, there 3 to 4 seconds lag on the gauge but you get the idea :thumleft: .

Can I ask which gauge and which sensor you are using?

The only ones I can find are cheap ebay ones or the £300 SPA one.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

toecutter wrote:
2mad wrote:the gauge is from ebay but the sensor is a proper iat sensor not the sh/t one that comes with it .. i checked calibration and it was all good, there 3 to 4 seconds lag on the gauge but you get the idea :thumleft: .

Can I ask which gauge and which sensor you are using?

The only ones I can find are cheap ebay ones or the £300 SPA one.

I bought a great gauge and sensor from a Vauxhall web-site 10 years ago .. when the gauge popped i kept the sensor .. i then bought a lovely autometer air temp gauge , unfortunately it failed 1 month latter ](*,) ... I then sore the ebay gauges, I could see the sensor was no good but i remembered I kept the one from my first gauge and thought id give it a try .. it worked great and is still going strong.

If i see anything on the web you might be interested in ill give you a shout :thumleft:

Kev.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

i had 12degC off boost rising to 42degC on boost and then off throttle straight back down to 12degC, stock intercooler and 17psi. For sure the stock unit isn't great but unless you do a lot of track days or live somewhere warm it's actually not as bad as people make out.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

raptor95GTS wrote:i had 12degC off boost rising to 42degC on boost and then off throttle straight back down to 12degC, stock intercooler and 17psi. For sure the stock unit isn't great but unless you do a lot of track days or live somewhere warm it's actually not as bad as people make out.

Way better than my greddy copy could do 8-[
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

it was only about 10 or 12degC yesterday up here so not so warm and it was a pretty clear road. I don't doubt if you were doing track days and hitting 100mph+ a lot, the stock cooler would struggle but for my driving and living up in Scotland it is fine. I'd like to fit WI just for detonation and burn control
Draven

Post by Draven »

The stock core is very very small, it limits airflow considerably due to this. Even the crappy ebay ones have a much bigger core so more area for cooling. They are just copies of the greddy one.

Pheonix power are even bigger therefore more effective

then a chargecooler is even more effective.

:thumleft:
benfacer

Post by benfacer »

raptor95GTS wrote:i had 12degC off boost rising to 42degC on boost and then off throttle straight back down to 12degC, stock intercooler and 17psi. For sure the stock unit isn't great but unless you do a lot of track days or live somewhere warm it's actually not as bad as people make out.

Thanks for that.
How are you measuring in intake temp?
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

benfacer wrote:

Thanks for that.
How are you measuring in intake temp?

I'm just using a K type Thermocouple hooked up to a multimeter. The meter updates 3 or 4 times a second so you can watch the temperature rise (very quickly) and then when I lift off it drops back quickly too. It's fun watching it rise while sitting in traffic, seen some crazy temperatures while summer time while sitting at idle haha. I do have bits and bobs to make a proper display sitting in the single DIN slot under the stereo but been too lazy to wire it all up :oops:
benfacer

Post by benfacer »

raptor95GTS wrote:
I'm just using a K type Thermocouple hooked up to a multimeter. The meter updates 3 or 4 times a second so you can watch the temperature rise (very quickly) and then when I lift off it drops back quickly too. It's fun watching it rise while sitting in traffic, seen some crazy temperatures while summer time while sitting at idle haha. I do have bits and bobs to make a proper display sitting in the single DIN slot under the stereo but been too lazy to wire it all up :oops:

Yes I can imagine it's interesting to watch! I have ordered the additional harness for my SBC ID so I should be able to watch the standard sensor soon.

Where about have you put your thermocouple? I am thinking of adding another one straight away due to the heatsoak issues on the ECU sesnor mentioned in this thread.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

I put it under the boost pipe in front of the throttle plate, seems to work ok. Saved me spending a lot of money on a replacement intercooler
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

my setup

extremely fast responding

auber temp gauge, bout £120 from US.

i have this fitted INSIDE the inlet manifold.
3 wire thermocouple, so very fast and accurate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFpC1sgBnjM
2mad

Post by 2mad »

jimGTS wrote:my setup

extremely fast responding

auber temp gauge, bout £120 from US.

i have this fitted INSIDE the inlet manifold.
3 wire thermocouple, so very fast and accurate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFpC1sgBnjM

That looks very nice .. fast response \:D/
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

worth upgrading intercooler even on stock engine/boost levels?

Return to “Modifications”