[Mk2] [Turbo] Carbenfibre Creations

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JLW

[Mk2] [Turbo] Carbenfibre Creations

Post by JLW »

Has anyone purchased one of these
or something from Ben, if so how did it fit etc ?

https://www.carbenfibrecreations.co.uk/ ... th_keyhole
al/c

carben fibre.

Post by al/c »

hi mate i,ve had a few bits from ben and never had a problem :thumleft:
tiff_lee

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Carbenfibre Creations

Post by tiff_lee »

I've been looking at the exact same thing. I wanted to replace my rear panel with a black one but for what it costs to buy a used one here in Aus I could get one made out of CF....
JLW

Post by JLW »

Yeah, I have a fair bit of CF on the car in tasteful area's so this would
tie in perfectly. Just wanted to check on reputation as I always do when I can.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

I messaged carbenfibre about international shipping and zero rating VAT, apparently they don't charge tax on their sales, right...........
I'd have more respect for someone if they just came out and said no because we want your money rather than try and mug me off with complete bs.
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

???

The price you see will be the price you pay. Unless you're referring to Australian import taxes? There's nothing he can do about that.
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Nope I'm clearly referring to VAT. All UK sales are subject to VAT but international sales (those outside the EU) are not.
Many but not all websites deduct vat at checkout automatically if shipping internationally but sometimes you need to ask. To just claim no tax is applied to sales is a complete bogus statement, if it's true the taxman would have a field day.
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

You only apply vat if you're vat registered I think, which depends on the turnover of the company.
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

tiff_lee wrote:Nope I'm clearly referring to VAT. All UK sales are subject to VAT but international sales (those outside the EU) are not.
Many but not all websites deduct vat at checkout automatically if shipping internationally but sometimes you need to ask. To just claim no tax is applied to sales is a complete bogus statement, if it's true the taxman would have a field day.

If you operate a business in the UK you only have to register for VAT if your annual turnover is more than the VAT threshold, currently £83,000.

If you run a small business with a turnover less than the threshold you can choose whether to register for VAT. If you don't register for VAT you can not charge VAT on goods sold, or claim VAT back from goods purchased from VAT registered companies.

So if Carbenfibre isn't VAT registered they won't be charging VAT on their sales, and the price charged to overseas customers will therefore be the same as that charged to UK customers as there is no tax element in their price. Though the Government may well have still recovered tax from whoever supplies them with raw materials.

The downside of not registering for VAT is that the tax element of any raw materials purchased from VAT registered suppliers can not be reclaimed, but in a small business the amount you could potentially recover may not outweigh all the extra accounting work involved if you register for VAT.

Paul
JLW

Post by JLW »

Pauln wrote:
tiff_lee wrote:Nope I'm clearly referring to VAT. All UK sales are subject to VAT but international sales (those outside the EU) are not.

If you operate a business in the UK you only have to register for VAT if your annual turnover is more than the VAT threshold, currently £83,000.

If you run a small business with a turnover less than the threshold you can choose whether to register for VAT. If you don't register for VAT you can not charge VAT on goods sold, or claim VAT back from goods purchased from VAT registered companies.

So if Carbenfibre isn't VAT registered they won't be charging VAT on their sales, and the price charged to overseas customers will therefore be the same as that charged to UK customers as there is no tax element in their price. Though the Government may well have still recovered tax from whoever supplies them with raw materials.

The downside of not registering for VAT is that the tax element of any raw materials purchased from VAT registered suppliers can not be reclaimed, but in a small business the amount you could potentially recover may not outweigh all the extra accounting work involved if you register for VAT.

Paul

Paul, killing it with that knowledge !!
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Cheers for taking the time to explain that Paul, had no idea the threshold was that high I best grab my coat! You run your own business or have some hand in accounting?
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Your welcome.

I had to look into all this stuff when I was made redundant for the second time some years ago, and found it really hard to get another job, so decided to go self employed.

It wasn't that I was ever going to hit the VAT threshold, I just wanted to make sure I had a reasonable idea of how it all worked to be sure I was doing the right thing by steering clear of it.

Semi retired these days :D

Paul
fahad1417

Post by fahad1417 »

As an accountant, i quite enjoyed reading this thread :lol:
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

JLW did you order a rear panel? or has anyone else had a carbon rear panel from Carbenfibre before?

Mine turned up today while the finish itself is good the fitment seems pretty poor. The top piece only has a very slight curve nowhere near what the oem panel has and trying to line the keyhole up throws all the gaps out with the mounting points and the top and bottom where it sits on the lip of the bumper.

Original panel upside down so top to top of both panels, look at that difference in curvature
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

With lights back on, keyhole lined up

Raising centre panel slightly so its sits more square the the car body, keyhole misaligned

I can't see me getting much joy trying to return this, I had 2 ignored emails regarding my order and an attempt to contact via facebook resulted we will get back to you a week ago and they never did.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Wow that's pretty bad, I had one of these on my old car a few years ago and the fit was a bit more proud than the oem panel but nowhere near that bad.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

My bomex rear spoiler was from him, the out of the box figment was crap to be fair, it look loads of work to get it decent, unfortunately not an option when you can fill/sand the carbon finish!
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

The shoddy mounting points I could sort out but the curvature (or lack of) yeah feck all I can do about that.
VGB

Post by VGB »

I had to send back a rev5 spoiler blade and end caps due to the poor quality. It was suggested to me by someone else here to get great fit the best best is to get the items hydro dipped. As much as I like real carbon fibre I do like items to fit more.
JLW

Post by JLW »

tiff_lee wrote:JLW did you order a rear panel? or has anyone else had a carbon rear panel from Carbenfibre before?

Hi Mate

I can shed some light on this situation, both "Carbenfibre Creations" &
"MR2BEN" share the same producer for all of their fibreglass & carbon fibre
panels. The guys name is Andrew England and owns a company called
composite styling based in Maldon , Essex.

I became aware of him as recently had a load of drama when a garage I used
smashed my carbon border bonnet in an accident, and was suggested to use
Andrew. He is the manufacturer and subsequently only charges half the price
of the costs that you will pay from both the above suppliers obviously.

Now Andrews a nice guy dont get me wrong, he's an older fella that is the first
to admit that he's not tech savvy hence why he's probably just always
been a producer of the product. But I've had to have the bonnet re-made
and collected the 2nd attempt last night. The first one upon inspection had
air bubbles trapped under the gel coat and joining marks with a type of black
sealant tape in the vented section, also pinholes all over, these however can be
removed when lacquering.

I also took the opportunity to buy a carbon rear panel as you have, minus the
reverse light wholes and a scuttle panel. DPM autobody mentioned when fitting
them that they needed a few bits of shaving here and there, but nothing major,

The bonnet I collected last night immediately looks a lot better, however now
instead of having a black tape mark in the vent section, it has a 1cm black
band running the entire edge of the bonnet ! , but then again I have my bonnet
painted in such a fashion that only the vent section is showing carbon, so it
won't be to apparent at all. Fitment is good on bonnet no.1 , hopefully the
same goes for no.2.

It seems the guys isn't consistent, but no way is any of the parts I have
collected been as bad as yours ! , I'm wondering if "Carbenfibre" tried a new