[Mk2] [NA] Which brake hoses to fit ?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR22

[Mk2] [NA] Which brake hoses to fit ?

Post by MR22 »

I've had a set of HEL brake hoses fitted to my 2 and binned them when one of them became loose at the caliper end.
I currently have a set of Goodridge fitted and the same thing has happened again, this time on a different caliper. Fortunately, the brake fluid on both occasions was on the garage floor and warned me of the problems.
I think the lack of the dowel that fits into the caliper, as is standard on the Toyota hoses, is the cause of this issue. It allows the banjo bolt to become loose under movement of the steering and suspension.
I am a careful mechanic and all the bolts were done to spec when the hoses were replaced.

Has anyone else had this problem and have they overcome it? I must admit I'm very tempted to fit new Toyota hoses even though they are not braided - at least they will not loosen in use. That could be very nasty indeed.
gnzyza

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Which brake hoses to fit ?

Post by gnzyza »

Never had a issue like this. It would be good to have a lug to locate the banjo but even without it shouldn't be undoing.

Have you used new washers on both sides, it seems it may be the routing of the cable may be causing it to undo.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Had Goodridge on a rev 1 without issue for 4 years and Hel on an MX5 again without issue. Is there enough slack in the hose for full movement of the wheel while driving?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Not had HEL lines loosen in nearly 3 years 60k miles.

Sounds like they need to be tighter.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Same here had he'll for 4 years no issues.

Did you use new copper washers?
MR22

Post by MR22 »

Used new copper washers and tightened banjo bolt to 30Nm as per Repair Manual.

Used HEL stainless banjo bolts but would not have thought this would have been the problem.

In some respects it is possible that the length of the hose from the mount point on the strut to the banjo bolt is not long enough so making a rather hard hose not flexible enough to allow movement without loosening the end connection and banjo bolt, but surely not with both HEL and Goodridge products ? I'll have to compare lengths with the standard Toyota hoses to see if there is a significant difference.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

As said I had no.problems with my hel but I do remember making sure the orientation of the hose at the banjo end was right.

Something else to consider might be to anneal the washers first. Heat cherry then quench and they will be more elastic.
Another option is a little medium thread lock on the bolt as a ham fisted mech before you may have over tightened and worn the calipers thread.
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Ive used goodridge and mlr hoses and never had a problem with them coming loose.
Nic

Post by Nic »

MR22 wrote:I've had a set of HEL brake hoses fitted to my 2 and binned them when one of them became loose at the caliper end.
I currently have a set of Goodridge fitted and the same thing has happened again, this time on a different caliper. Fortunately, the brake fluid on both occasions was on the garage floor and warned me of the problems.
I think the lack of the dowel that fits into the caliper, as is standard on the Toyota hoses, is the cause of this issue. It allows the banjo bolt to become loose under movement of the steering and suspension.
I am a careful mechanic and all the bolts were done to spec when the hoses were replaced.

Has anyone else had this problem and have they overcome it? I must admit I'm very tempted to fit new Toyota hoses even though they are not braided - at least they will not loosen in use. That could be very nasty indeed.

Just a thought, are the brake lines attached to the bracket on the dampers? Also, is there paint on the calipers where the copper washers seal against?

I've had Rogue brake lines fitted for the last 4 years and never had a problem.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I can't see what rev it is you're driving but there are two different length front lines … rev1 (for the smaller callipers) and rev2-5. Maybe you've had shorter than ideal fitted?

Had Goodrich on my first rev1 (with rev3 brakes) for 5 yrs plus and now whatever it is Rogue fit on my new rev1 (with rev3 brakes) for 7mths and no issues...
2tmike

Hoses

Post by 2tmike »

+1, Goodridge hoses on 3 xMR2's with never a problem. Just a thought, if the hose seems tight, you can adjust the clamp position by sliding it along the hose...
benjo

Post by benjo »

I know this is a old thread but I'm having similar problem on my rev 1
What was the out come??
Too weird to live, to rare to die
Kiddo

Post by Kiddo »

I've just fitted a set of Hel lines and upgraded all my brakes to rev2+ on my rev1 NA. The lines I have are the same length for the front and rear but I did notice that the angle of the fitting on the banjo bolt end is straight for two and angled for the other two. I bought my lines loose with no fitting instructions to indicate which ones were front and which ones rear; I just installed the angled ones on the calipers whose mating surface was more angled. I wonder if the lines are installed on the wrong end if that could contribute to these leaks, or are the lines obviously marked fronts and rears when bought new?

Return to “Mechanical”