Andy's Rev 3 Turbo - Project complete.

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: Andy's Rev 3 Turbo - Project complete.

Post by Martin F »

androo007 wrote:Good point!

Thanks Martin, it's been a really exciting year for me really. Started with an initial call in March then a whirlwind of buying, selling, ups and downs, so hopefully this next week will make it pay off.

Really people like yourself, Ash and Rob and Pete as well as the other people on here make the MR2 even more enticing because everyone is so friendly and helpful and really does help having such great advice and help and a laugh on the way so thanks to you all

Fingers crossed it doesn't go pop on mapping day :lol: :thumleft:

Thanks dude, we all make the community 8) , Unlikely to go pop if professionally mapped..
Every problem i have had was either ignition related, cooling issues, camshaft/timming issues or clutch slipping, the latter happened twice on dyno time #-o

hence the wish of Good Luck :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

:mrgreen:

I've tried to learn from my mistakes... this time the car is being dropped off, and left for 5 days more than needed just incase.

That way any problems can be sorted and done within the time they have hopefully.

The only thing i need to sort after tpicking up is a dyno run! It is being road mapped (my preference) so i wont actually know the power apart from judging the size of my skidmarks..... the harder i clench the more there are :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Get it on a dyno mate- really don't understand how mappers think they can maximise ignition timing without one...makes no sense to me.

Good luck!

:thumleft:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

ashley wrote:Get it on a dyno mate- really don't understand how mappers think they can maximise ignition timing without one...makes no sense to me.

Good luck!

agreed - road mapping works for the DIYer (like myself), but a dyno is a much better tool, I wish there was a "buy time" dyno near me where I could have dyno tuned it myself, you could hit every (possible) load cell on a dyno in a fraction of the time it'd take you to log/stop/write changes/repeat on the road, you don't have to worry about the law, or other road users, and there's actual real data you can analyse to see when you stop making torque, and therefore stop advancing the ignition.

I still took my car to a good dyno operator for a check over, and while the changes made to my map were minimal (we turned up the boost and he richened it up a tiny bit right at the top, in cells I didn't hit on the road and had just interpolated into) it still gives you that warm feeling inside that all is well.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Yeah agreed, that's exactly the plan, get it then get it on a dyno to make sure everything is as it should be just as a security blanket more than anything.

My tuner doesn't own a dyno and local dyno centres aren't interested in renting out dyno time to tuners as it takes trade off themselves.

I've read quite a lot that people tend to dyno then road tune to finish, rather than the other way around. It's another one of those infinite Internet debates of which is better....and which order.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Rob, did you add 1.2% to injectors 2 & 3 to compensate for the centre feed inlet manifold?
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

androo007 wrote:Rob, did you add 1.2% to injectors 2 & 3 to compensate for the centre feed inlet manifold?

I've got an extra 3% fuel going into cyl 2&3, which is about the same as the other .Dat files I've seen from 'professional' mappers, Ryan Griffiths included.

I did see something online (in Japanese) where Phoenix's Power were adding up to 5% extra fuel in 2&3 on their mega T67 & T78 cars back in the day.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Perfect, thanks chap. I'll be sure to mention it but pretty sure he does extra by default.
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

C35Rob wrote:
ashley wrote:Get it on a dyno mate- really don't understand how mappers think they can maximise ignition timing without one...makes no sense to me.

Good luck!

agreed - road mapping works for the DIYer (like myself), but a dyno is a much better tool, I wish there was a "buy time" dyno near me where I could have dyno tuned it myself, you could hit every (possible) load cell on a dyno in a fraction of the time it'd take you to log/stop/write changes/repeat on the road, you don't have to worry about the law, or other road users, and there's actual real data you can analyse to see when you stop making torque, and therefore stop advancing the ignition.

I still took my car to a good dyno operator for a check over, and while the changes made to my map were minimal (we turned up the boost and he richened it up a tiny bit right at the top, in cells I didn't hit on the road and had just interpolated into) it still gives you that warm feeling inside that all is well.

I've been speaking to Fensport about mapping my Link G4. Hard to fault their reputation, especially with the 3SGTE, and I've only ever heard good things from people who've used them. They only do road mapping...

-Mark
ashley

Post by ashley »

They do have a fantastic reputation, I agree. But...the science doesn't lie: without being able to measure torque in a specific cell of a map with different ignition timings, you cannot maximise the map. You can nail fueling for sure with wideband, but unless your butt-dyno is super human, you just cannot get timing 100% dialed in.
Last edited by ashley on Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

ashley wrote:They do have a fantastic reputation, I agree. But...the science doesn't lie: without being able to measure torque in a specific cell of a map with different ignition timings, you cannot maximise the map. You can nail fueling for sure with wideband, but unless your butt-dyno is super human, you just cannot get timing 100% dialed in.

100% agree, AFR's are the easy part, but torque comes from ign advance, and torque = power

it's easy to pull timing, throw boost into it and call it done, but to properly get area under the curve you simply must spend time on the dyno
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Interesting points :rambo:

Perhaps I'll investigate with Simon his thoughts too when I drop it off this morning.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Any midweek updates?
Draven

Post by Draven »

Gee Man wrote:Any midweek updates?

Haha you check this often as well then?

:oops:

I like watching other peoples progress because mine is so slow.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Draven wrote:

I'm living life through other peoples builds at the moment as i've broken my ankle so i've not been able to drive for 2 months!!!!! 1 more month to go.....unless i then need surgery ](*,)
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Haha! So.....

Pretty p!ssed off tbh.

the td06 now looks like it MAY need a rebuild, ultimately cost me 400+ in resale value. Lukily they're very cheap and easy turbos to rebuild.

Turbo going on today....them mapping tomorrow!
Last edited by androo007 on Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Oooo and off to surrey rolling road Saturday for a dyno test too. It's £40, some others joining too if anyone else fancies a go too?
MR2 Turbo Boy

Post by MR2 Turbo Boy »

Sorry to hear, your p9ssed off, bud.

Soon your be overtaking mine, up the M271...

:lol:
MR2 Turbo Boy

Post by MR2 Turbo Boy »

What time you thinking of the rolling road.. :)
Draven

Post by Draven »

Gee Man wrote:
Draven wrote:

I'm living life through other peoples builds at the moment as i've broken my ankle so i've not been able to drive for 2 months!!!!! 1 more month to go.....unless i then need surgery ](*,)

I broke my toe yesterday, :( i can still just about drive but it hurts lol.

I hope your ankle heals up nicely and you don't need surgery.

Return to “Member Profiles”