[Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo Options

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

androo007

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo Options

Post by androo007 »

I've got a downpipe for a ct26 where it isnt welded in, any use?
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

androo007 wrote:I've got a downpipe for a ct26 where it isnt welded in, any use?

I've got a 20 but thanks anyway. I can't be ar$ed changing anything right now. :)
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

bit of a thread revival as I have a query along similar lines. Got my turbo apart (exhaust/compressor housing removed) to rotate the compressor housing slightly and apart from needing a good clean there is some slight radial movement in the shaft but from what i've read that is to be expected with no oil pressure in the bearings?

In terms of rebuilding i've read upgrading to a billet compressor wheel and replacing the ceramic turbine wheel is recommended as they self destruct? Came across these on ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Billet-Forge ... SwvzRX0ZeB
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Turbo-Turbin ... SwbYZXff-o

never heard of Kinugawa myself but again reading on forums some people say they are half decent (not Chinese made).
musclewarrior

Post by musclewarrior »

Correct - quality is top notch. I'm rebuilding my CT20B right now and using the following components:

Kinugawa inconel turbine (Same as you've listed)
Mamba Billet CT20b With Extended tip (The wheel you've listed is not extended tip)
Melette CT20b (CT26 small) rebuild kit.

Note - I'm getting it professionally VSR balanced locally. The turbine and compressor wheel are supposed to be balanced individually.

I'm also going to port the wastegate holes and turbine post turbine wheel to help increase flow somewhat. Hoping for a 30rwhp bump similar to what the US guys are achieving.

Can anyone recommend which is the better route to go when porting the housing post turbine. stepped lip, or a tapered tip?

Cheers.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

musclewarrior wrote:Correct - quality is top notch. I'm rebuilding my CT20B right now and using the following components:

Mamba Billet CT20b With Extended tip (The wheel you've listed is not extended tip)

Note - I'm getting it professionally VSR balanced locally. The turbine and compressor wheel are supposed to be balanced individually.

I'm also going to port the wastegate holes and turbine post turbine wheel to help increase flow somewhat. Hoping for a 30rwhp bump similar to what the US guys are achieving.

Can anyone recommend which is the better route to go when porting the housing post turbine. stepped lip, or a tapered tip?

Cheers.

You getting this wheel?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Billet-Turbo ... SwnDZUA9Pv

where you getting the rebuild kit from? i've looked at several different ones online, some with more parts than others.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Martin F wrote:I ran a TD05 on standard set up, ran fine, it was stronger than ct20b for sure, wouldn't like to estimate what power it was putting down at what boost but here is a video of it at 1-1.1 bar

I sold it to sheppy, he then sold it to another member, maybe worth tracking the buyer down because they may not have used it, would be a cracking purchase for you.

clutch was slipping unfortunately, but you get the idea :thumleft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x9PDbR_a_I

I bought the turbo and sold it to greddymr2 .. quite a small turbo but from the vid packs a punch :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

musclewarrior wrote:Correct - quality is top notch. I'm rebuilding my CT20B right now and using the following components:

Cheers.

My porting work is on this theard .. save me reposting .. .... no creep rock solid boost with a free flow exhaust .. sweet :thumleft:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 94e4b8938b

Ps. took days to do ... but well worth it :mrgreen:
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

2mad, I see you ported the compressor outlet as well much noticeable difference? although I guess it was probably hard to judge since you ported it all at once?

Anyhow, followup from my earlier post I bought that steel turbine wheel/shaft, billet compressor wheel and rebuild kit.

2mad

Post by 2mad »

tiff_lee wrote:2mad, I see you ported the compressor outlet as well much noticeable difference? although I guess it was probably hard to judge since you ported it all at once?

Anyhow, followup from my earlier post I bought that steel turbine wheel/shaft, billet compressor wheel and rebuild kit.

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i.imgur.com/AtH0S4d.jpg

Yeah 2 days with a grinder to get rid of boost creep and just kinda kept going .. loved the results ... no bench testing to back it up ...BUT no creep ... and that was my goal :thumleft:
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

2mad wrote:
tiff_lee wrote:2mad, I see you ported the compressor outlet as well much noticeable difference? although I guess it was probably hard to judge since you ported it all at once?

Yeah 2 days with a grinder to get rid of boost creep and just kinda kept going .. loved the results ... no bench testing to back it up ...BUT no creep ... and that was my goal :thumleft:

Yeah that's fair enough, mission accomplished though. Doing my exhaust housing at the minute with tungsten carbide cutter, man those small metal fillings are a pita, like little metal splinters
2mad

Post by 2mad »

tiff_lee wrote:
2mad wrote:

Yeah that's fair enough, mission accomplished though. Doing my exhaust housing at the minute with tungsten carbide cutter, man those small metal fillings are a pita, like little metal splinters

Lol funny you say that i had metal splinters in my had that went rusty ... took a month to get rid of them all lol ... where gloves :lol:
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

2mad wrote:
tiff_lee wrote:
2mad wrote:

Lol funny you say that i had metal splinters in my had that went rusty ... took a month to get rid of them all lol ... where gloves :lol:

Yeah I figured that out after it was too late!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

tiff_lee wrote:
2mad wrote:
tiff_lee wrote:

Yeah I figured that out after it was too late!

Ha ha i just kept going ... im an idiot lol
musclewarrior

Post by musclewarrior »

Yes - thats the wheel I got. Please check it fits on the new shaft. I found mine was out by the smallest margin which meant getting it bored out and re-balanced as an unforseen cost. Error was on the wheel, as I measured the shaft (Old and new) and they were in perfect measurement.

I got my bearings from turborebuild.co.uk which supplied me with Melett parts. I could have easily re-used the old stuff as it was like new still.

Only just got it on the car but haven't had the opportunity to really test it out. Still having to mess with the EBC to get boost where I want (17psi).

Spool feels pretty identical to the ceramic turbine, even though I'm now on the steel one which is good news. I would say the top end does feel faster than the old wheel so far when running 15-16psi in 2nd gear.

tiff_lee wrote:

Cheers.

You getting this wheel?

where you getting the rebuild kit from? i've looked at several different ones online, some with more parts than others.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

MR2Kyle wrote:What's the ct15b like? Sorry for hijacking the tread a little but I was just wondering what's it's capable of and how reliable it is overall? :mrgreen:

Al-sw20 wrote:Not worth the cost to get it to work. It's a single entry turbo.

There is the version that comes from the gen 4 3sgte that already has the manifold as part of the turbine housing. Bolts straight on to a rev 3 head.

Only thing is the exhaust side has a different stud patern so needs a gen 4 downpipe or custom.

Apprently they spool earlier but they can't do as much at the top. Many people running them at 20/21psi in the states.
If it's only spool times and not top end you are after, it might be an option. If you change you mind in the future then it will limit power, a 20b can do more at the top. Prob not worth the effort for most people.
Also you'd need a manifold to use another turbo afterwards, so more cost.

Got one going in with my gen 4 setup but will only be running about 300 crank hp. Should be great for response but isn't going to win any dyno run number chasing battles.

Return to “Modifications”