www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
[Mk2] [Turbo] Battery not charging

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Electrical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monkey

Feedback Score: 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: [Mk2] [Turbo] Battery not charging Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I seem to have the illusive charge circuit fault.

Battery is not charging, but it ls not draining power either, seems when the car is running there is enough power from the alternator to power everything but not charge the battery. Went on a 20 min drive with everything turn on and it was fine.

I have checked the eng-ig, Alt Sensing, AM2 fuses (well all of them) i have replaced the ignition Relay, because the test in the service guide suggested it was faulty, and its not.

Also my reverse lights are not working, and i read that it could be related, but i cant see how, also i have read about swapping rhe fan relays, there are 3 and they are different shapes?!?!

I am going to check the 3 pin plug on the alternator tomorrow.

Anything else i should look for?
Gazza_DJ
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

How old is the battery? Could just be that the battery is dead.
mr2garageswindon

Feedback Score: 1

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

What volts reading across battery with and without engine running? Does the battery light illuminate when just ignition on?
Most likely the alternator is just pushing out enough to keep it running but not charging it.
Check engine earths too.
Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Gazza_DJ wrote:
How old is the battery? Could just be that the battery is dead.

Brand new

mr2garageswindon wrote:
What volts reading across battery with and without engine running? Does the battery light illuminate when just ignition on?
Most likely the alternator is just pushing out enough to keep it running but not charging it.
Check engine earths too.

Battery reads 12.2 volts, when cranking the volts drop then return to 12.2 whilst it is running. As i switch different things on (lights etc) the voltage drops and then returns to 12.2 when switched off.

Battery light is not on.

I am confident the alternator is fine, but i will be trying to check tonight.

This is the thread i was looking for,

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=966937
mr2garageswindon

Feedback Score: 1

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

That is just battery voltage and being a new battery its what I would expect. Battery light not on while running or doesn't come on at all?
Have you un plugged the reverse light switch to see if that makes any difference?
Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

mr2garageswindon wrote:
Battery light not on while running or doesn't come on at all?

It when on ign 2 it doesnt light, start the car and it flashes up and then goes out and stays out.

Here is a video

https://youtu.be/ZGp-p-3ixC8

Thats with the reverse light switch unplugged

mr2garageswindon wrote:
Have you un plugged the reverse light switch to see if that makes any difference?

Just tested reverse light, switch is fooked did the paperclip test. So i'll order that in the morning.

I pulled the Eng-ig fuse, fuse is good, put a volt meter on the power side of the termainal with the engine running, and its only receiving battery voltage. I didnt get a chance to get under the car to test the 3 pin connector on the alternator. Thats tomorrows job.

On a side note, how hard is it to find a metal uncoated paper clip round the house?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Electrical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: