[Mk2] [Turbo] Help please! Multiple issues k/s & smoke

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Bear87

[Mk2] [Turbo] Help please! Multiple issues k/s & smoke

Post by Bear87 »

Hi guys I'm new to imoc so please be patient with me! I have had 3 mr2's now and I can't get enough of them.

My story is a bit long but please any advice would be appreciated.
Okay so about 10 years ago a friend bought the best example of a 1992 gen 2 I had ever seen it was immaculate! I have been after it ever since. He dumped about 5k into it and had forged engine built by carnisor in southend on sea. But was then stored for 7 years! He met someone and moved to Portugal and I got the chance to buy the car. However had never run on new engine. Still has 440cc injectors and standard ecu but was aiming for 400hp when upgraded however I'm not sure the turbo would be capable.
Since I have had the car had put all back together and had multiple issues with immobiliser, a faulty ecu, usual dizzy cap etc.
Car now runs but have a code 52 knock sensor. Have put on a genuine sensor and have made new cable with extra earth points etc and I know it is good. But still the light comes on and hesitates awfully before it boosts. It also boosts to 15psi :-k not sure what has been done to make it boost above 7psi but the boost controller is closed position as to run factory. The car to my knowledge has upgraded cams, pistons and rods, knife edge and balanced crank. Rebuilt ct26 with steel shaft. Has hks cams and timing belt and timing is 100% correct and triple checked.
I know the car is overfueling but it blows white smoke badly and I cant seem to put my finger on the issue. I'm fairly competent working on cars but this one baffles me.
I'm sorry for long post and any spelling and grammar mistakes!
Many thanks in advance guys
Brad
androo007

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Help please! Multiple issues k/s & smoke

Post by androo007 »

Hi Brad,

Welcome. The petrol wasn't 7 years old I hope? All brand new fuel? If old and mixed it will be duff.
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Sorry I forgot to mention the fuel pump was seized so had dropped the tank had professionaly cleaned and put in a walbro 350lh pump. That was some job!
Have put in fresh fuel obviously 99 octane.
Also new fuel filter and fpr fitted. Lines were blown out best as possible with air compressor
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Firstly
440cc injectors + 400bhp = never going to happen
CT26 + 400bhp = never going to happen

11psi or .8bar which is standard boost so 15psi you're running 1bar roughly which is about the max you want to be running with 440cc injectors.

If its blowing white smoke then that ain't over fuelling although mr2's are meant to overful at high revs so i have heard. Overfueling would be blackish smoke not white smoke as white smoke is water which would point to probable head gasket failure especially if its doing it even when the engines hot and not just burning off the condensation in exhaust.

You've checked that the timing is set correctly?
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Oh totally agree i bought as a project knowing to hit his goals injectors, turbo and ecu will most likely need upgrade. But im currently trying to get the car back to standard and then go from there.
I have had a head leak test done and come back as okay, also had timing checked by our local rolling road dyno tune as happens to be 5 doors down from where car is kept and is spot on.

It seems alot of smoke and has a very strong smell of fuel but i agree black would be overfulling but i have never had anything like this.

I do have a faulty gasket on my turbo to down pipe but im not sure that would allow water into exhaust?
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

The gasket won't be letting in water but it could adjust the exhaust gasses enough to trick the O2 sensor. This could make the fueling be all over the place.

is the turbo plumbed in correctly? it has an oil feed and water feed, if these are wrong then all hell could happen.
seals inside could be dead, allowing water in. maybe they are not but needs checking.

intercooler could be full of water?

overboosting won't be helping. unplumb the boost controller to rule that out. the actuator could be stuck?
is the stock map sensor seeing boost?

maybe without the stock boost control the ecu is trying to reduce boost levels but not being able?
The actuator on the turbo could be a 1bar upgrade, so actuator pressure could be 1 bar?

There are water lines going to the throttle body, are these on the correct ports? if not could be pumping coolant into the engine.

The throttle body could be leaking inside letting water into the inlet.

not saying any of them are the case, but all possible causes of your issues. happy fault finding.
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Thanks for the advice there is definatly a couple of things i can check!
I suspect your right with the turbo being set to 1bar as i have tried removing the boost controller and was much the same. The actuator is free and moving but now im worried the turbo lines are wrong way ](*,) although no oil in the coolent or noticed and water in the oil.
Never considered the water getting into inlet will check that out.

How would i go about testing the boost map sensor?
Bear87

Went back to basics

Post by Bear87 »

Hi guys so I had a little tinker with car after work today..
Thought I would start with the basics after the info that was gratefully given by you guys.
Checked my timing I'm at 10 degrees with car warmed up at idle with the Toyota service tool in appropriate slots in diognostics port.
So checked coolent and seemed still topped up and fine.
Oil smelt like petrol but research said often because of overfueling which I know I am. Please correct me if this is wrong!
All lines for turbo and inlet seem correct and a quick inspection of inlet and intercooler didn't seem to have water in them.

But.... I did a compression test and got 1-4 140, 131, 132, 140
This seems low to me? This is a rebuilt engine so am I right to expect much higher numbers?
Had all plugs out, WOT, and turned over for 5 seconds. Also had a booster pack on battery to ensure a good turn over speed and car was at operating temperature.
Now I'm seriously worried
:cry:

Return to “Mechanical”