About keys

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pta

About keys

Post by pta »

My 1990 USDM come with only one key. It does not fit to T-tops nor glove box. It seems that the lock barrels for T-tops and glove box are shorter, because my ignition key won't go there as deep as to other locks.

Should there be 2 keys or should all lock barrels be coded for one key?
SonicSW20

Re: About keys

Post by SonicSW20 »

Never even seen T top locks before!
Draven

Post by Draven »

no perhaps a USDM thing..
mrhappy62

Post by mrhappy62 »

Draven wrote:no perhaps a USDM thing..

I think he means the storage box for the T-Bar covers behind the drivers seat.
pta

Post by pta »

mrhappy62 wrote:
Draven wrote:no perhaps a USDM thing..

I think he means the storage box for the T-Bar covers behind the drivers seat.

There are no locks behind driver's seat (LH) nor between seats, but actually I found one lock behind passenger's seat (RH). And my key(s) did not fit to that neither.

I have locks in T-tops (part no 69059-17020). My key does go to bottom, but the barrel is not as deep as door lock or ignition. Same thing with glove box lock.

Does it make difference, that this is USDM MR2 Turbo?

I have had one '94 JDM T-top and if I recall it right, it had T-top locks too, but not sure. Parts catalog did not recognize those for JDM.

Actually I found one very worn key, which looks similar to the one I have currently in use. That worn key opens only driver's door and ignition lock. I guess that the reason for not opening trunk nor passenger side door is that those lock barrels have been seldomly used and that key is too worn especially from tip.

What are "Master key" (part no 90999-00163) and "Sub key" (part no 90999-00165) found in this page?
benjo

Post by benjo »

That's a new one can't even find those on tinter web,
Hope there not locked if your key doesn't work
Too weird to live, to rare to die
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

pta wrote:
What are "Master key" (part no 90999-00163) and "Sub key" (part no 90999-00165) found in this page?

I would guess sub key = valet key. The valet key can lock / unlock the doors and start the car only - it cannot unlock the boot or the glovebox. Perhaps the same is true to the T-top locks as well.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Completely new to me, never seen that before.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

I have seen a few 94 JDM Tbar turbos and none of them had key locks on the Tbars.

Never heard of locking TBars.

My other thought is maybe the Tbars are not the originals for that actual car?
Are they actually locked?
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

pta wrote:
Actually I found one very worn key, which looks similar to the one I have currently in use. That worn key opens only driver's door and ignition lock. I guess that the reason for not opening trunk nor passenger side door is that those lock barrels have been seldomly used and that key is too worn especially from tip.

If the passenger door lock is not being used much try putting wd40 on the key first and letting it soak into the lock barrel and wiggle it gently (dont break the key!). Similarly for the trunk.
pta

Post by pta »

Thanks for hints.

Should it be possible to open all locks with one key or is there separate key for storage boxes (and T-tops)?

Fortunately all those boxes and T-tops are unlocked :)
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

You sure you haven't bought a Fiero? :lol:

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Arch ... 06747.html
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

The locks were an option on USDM turbos, i had them too. The normal key (assuming the locks/roof halves haven't been changed) should turn the lock. I noticed, that the locks were worn out aufter almost 20 years of use. Spray some graphite compound in there and fiddle around with the key a while....it'll probably work after some coaxing
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Here are my thoughts, not actually knowing what it should be.

I would have thought like one of the posts above that only the master key will unlock all locks and the valet key will just do doors and ignition.

As the locks are currently unlocked I would remove the barrels and take them to a locksmith and get them re pinned to fit the key.
I just did this with two door barrels on a Subaru and got a spare key cut for £30 ish.

The glove box is fiddly but can be done and if you find a guide for fitting t bar seals that will show you how to dismantle those
pta

Post by pta »

Problem partially solved.

I went to locksmith with storage box barrel. There was a measuring device, that scanned my key. It didn't tell Toyota's code number for the key (as it did for my HiAce), but they were able to cut a key like it was from factory. (It is important not to make just a copy of worn key but like it was from factory.)

Locksmith and I were both surprised when we saw that the new key fit to barrel I had with me :)

So... Now I have fully functioning master key. What is the physical difference between master and valet keys? I'm asking this if it would be possible to reproduce valet key. Of course if I open for example door lock barrel then I could imagine it by myself, but your help would be more than welcome.
pta

Post by pta »

I found pair of master/valet keys and here is the difference:

Now I'd like to know if the difference is always at the same position (first pin). Then I'd know how to cut valet key for my MR2.

My feeling is that it could be this first pin, since the tip of my key was really worn and perhaps that's the reason why it worked like a valet key.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”