AFR GAUGE

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

fahad1417

AFR GAUGE

Post by fahad1417 »

Hi all, iv got a 92 turbo, few subtle mods but not much more than that. I mainly use my car for local driving and the occasional motorway drive, what should i get first an EBC or an AFR wideband gauge? im on a budget and struggling to decide
gnzyza

Re: AFR GAUGE

Post by gnzyza »

Depends what your mods are. If you have basic bolt one and want to up the boost slightly, absolute must is a boost gauge then a EBC, even a MBC is ok too.

I'm not too far from you, always happy to lend a hand :thumleft:
fahad1417

Post by fahad1417 »

Thats what i love about the mr2 community, everyones willing to help out. I bought the car not long ago, my 2nd mr2 but first turbo one that im looking to keep. Still learning, but i have a scorpion exhaust system, upgraded air filter and all the pipings been done. Nothing big that i know of, should i get the boost gauge and ebc first then? Save up and get afr later or is that needed?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

fahad1417 wrote:Thats what i love about the mr2 community, everyones willing to help out. I bought the car not long ago, my 2nd mr2 but first turbo one that im looking to keep. Still learning, but i have a scorpion exhaust system, upgraded air filter and all the pipings been done. Nothing big that i know of, should i get the boost gauge and ebc first then? Save up and get afr later or is that needed?

Buy a mbc and and a boost gauge .. ebays fine ... a wideband is a great gauge for tuning and general health of your cars fuelling.

Ps. welcome to the forum not spoke to you before :)
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

fahad1417 wrote:Thats what i love about the mr2 community, everyones willing to help out. I bought the car not long ago, my 2nd mr2 but first turbo one that im looking to keep. Still learning, but i have a scorpion exhaust system, upgraded air filter and all the pipings been done. Nothing big that i know of, should i get the boost gauge and ebc first then? Save up and get afr later or is that needed?

A comprehensive service first if you haven't already. You can do basic bolt ons such as, air filter, exhaust, intercooler and up the boost a little without major mods.

What's a safe boost for a '92 Turbo?
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Boost gauge, you don't need a wideband....

I have one now and never look at it, even if I did pretty sure the damage would be done well before I took my foot of the accelerator, this is why you need to get the 'best' to map your car...

Before having one I have had dozens of turbocharged cars since the age of 19 and have never missed one, only use I can think of is if you are racing around a track on high boost but you need the gauge in your direct line of sight...

I'm sure one or two may disagree but that's just life :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Martin F wrote:

Yeah im going to disagree .. my wideband went in to the red 14 + afr on boost, so i limped home .. later found my fuel pump relay was not switching from 9v to 12v ... saved my car bud .... :thumleft:

But agreed if your not tuning (thats why i bought mine) its just a pretty lights gauge lol
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

2mad wrote:
Martin F wrote:

Yeah im going to disagree .. my wideband went in to the red 14 + afr on boost, so i limped home .. later found my fuel pump relay was not switching from 9v to 12v ... saved my car bud .... :thumleft:

But agreed if your not tuning (thats why i bought mine) its just a pretty lights gauge lol

HaHa, I meant to disagree on principal, not on facts :oops:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

why choose when you can have both in one..

http://www.aemelectronics.com/?q=produc ... safe-gauge

:thumleft:
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
fahad1417

Post by fahad1417 »

2mad wrote:

Buy a mbc and and a boost gauge .. ebays fine ... a wideband is a great gauge for tuning and general health of your cars fuelling.

Thanks for the advice everyone, only joined here last week was a member of another forum, but nowhere near as active as this one i must say. There's a chap selling a greddy profec ebc on here for 140ish off his mr2 with the wiring, worth the pop?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

fahad1417 wrote:
2mad wrote:

Thanks for the advice everyone, only joined here last week was a member of another forum, but nowhere near as active as this one i must say. There's a chap selling a greddy profec ebc on here for 140ish off his mr2 with the wiring, worth the pop?

I could tell no difference between my hks 6 boost controller and a 17quid ball and spring mbc ... just my thoughts :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”