2ZZ-GE, is it worth?

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ekona

Re: 2ZZ-GE, is it worth?

Post by Ekona »

Ah, the rolly-eyes smiley. Truly the epitome of return wit when you realise how stupid and narrow-minded your original comment was.
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

Ekona wrote:Ah, the rolly-eyes smiley. Truly the epitome of return wit when you realise how stupid and narrow-minded your original comment was.

LouisePiggin

Post by LouisePiggin »

Ekona wrote:Ah, the rolly-eyes smiley. Truly the epitome of return wit when you realise how stupid and narrow-minded your original comment was.

:clap:

It was tongue in cheek.....get a grip
Torero

Post by Torero »

MilesH wrote:The swap is fairly simple and if you're using the standard 2zz ECU fuel consumption won't change much (in my experience).

It would work with the 5 speed gearbox BUT the ratios are all wrong for keeping the car in lift and you will loose a lot of the reason why you want to change the engine in the first place. The factory 2zz box is much more suited to the engine.

As for whether it being worth it. It is not a huge jump in performance terms and as the graph you put up shows the gains are at the top end so unless you plan to track the car (where you will feel a noticeable difference in performance at the top end) or if you like to rev the nuts off the car on road then the difference will not be huge.

I found that fitting an aftermarket ECU to a 2zz you can get noticeable gains lower down over that of a 1zz, but with the standard 2zz ECU they are indeed very similar.

Hope that helps

p.s. I have one in a track car and it is a definite improvement.

That's good advice Miles :thumleft: I've recently tried a MK3 and I'm pretty much sold on the idea of getting a MK3 and dropping a 2ZZ in it. I would like a 6 speed but rather than f@nny around trying to develop the best box for the job, I think I'll accept the 5 speed and spend on the ECU instead. :clap:
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

Torero wrote: I would like a 6 speed but rather than f@nny around trying to develop the best box for the job, I think I'll accept the 5 speed and spend on the ECU instead. :clap:

From what I've read, You really want to keep the Celica (or Corolla) gearing as the ratios are alot better matched to the engine.

Stuart
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
MilesH

Post by MilesH »

Jaspa wrote:
Torero wrote: I would like a 6 speed but rather than f@nny around trying to develop the best box for the job, I think I'll accept the 5 speed and spend on the ECU instead. :clap:

From what I've read, You really want to keep the Celica (or Corolla) gearing as the ratios are alot better matched to the engine.

Stuart

Torero - not using a Celica or Corolla box REALLY will spoil the 2zz effect and any benefit you find from an aftermarket ECU and a map will be lost with the ratio of the gearbox.

I have a spare 2zz Celica gearbox if you need one? Infact I may even have the engine and all other parts needed for the conversion available.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

MilesH wrote:
Jaspa wrote:

Stuart

Torero - not using a Celica or Corolla box REALLY will spoil the 2zz effect and any benefit you find from an aftermarket ECU and a map will be lost with the ratio of the gearbox.

I have a spare 2zz Celica gearbox if you need one? Infact I may even have the engine and all other parts needed for the conversion available.

If torero isn't interested in the conversion stuff.. i might be..........
keep me updated if he doesn't :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Torero

Post by Torero »

Jaspa wrote:

Stuart
Thanks Stuart at least I now know the best direction and I'll stick with the Celica/Corolla stock box.

I'm interested Miles and I've PM'd you. :thumleft:
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”