[Mk2] [Turbo] Track rod ends

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mark_1992

[Mk2] [Turbo] Track rod ends

Post by mark_1992 »

Hey guys looking for a little help, im needing to change my track rod ends on the mr2, I'm looking to swap the inner and also outer ends but can't find a guide anywhere.

Would prefer a guide just to make sure I'm doing everything right.

Any help would be appreciated :thumleft:
abovetherim

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Track rod ends

Post by abovetherim »

Not done this job on the mr2 myself yet but have done it on other vehicles.
Top tip is to leave the outers untouched and take the inner off with the outer in the same position, that way you have a guide to the correct setting for you're new bits. You will still need to get tracking done (4 wheel alignment is better) but this way you will at least have it in the right ball park so the car will be driveable and not adversely scrub the tyres.

Once you get the boot off the inner joint you will find a washer bent over the flats for the inner rod. This will have to be bent out of the way. There will also be flats on the rack to put a spanner on to lever against when undoing/tightening the inner rod. You will need to make a tool to remove and install the inner rod as the width of the flats will be too thin for standard spanners (last one i did i ground a podger spanner thinner).

Here is a link to a toyota repair manual with some pics of the dissassembly on a bench but it give you the idea and torque values (manual rack section)
https://1drv.ms/b/s!Aof644c8-zKGgw5MTwJip1_NzuLV

HTH
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Link works if you copy the address (without the url bits) into the browser
https://1drv.ms/b/s!Aof644c8-zKGgw5MTwJip1_NzuLV
mark_1992

Post by mark_1992 »

Legend cheers for all that mate, hopefully give it a crack soon
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

ive been refubing my steering rack today so ive taken a couple of pictures for you,

with the inner rack boot pulled back you'll see the inner rack joint

the bent part of that washer is is supposed to be folded over the flats on the join, whoever fitted these arms wasn't aware.

with inner rod end removed you can see there are 2 cutouts in the rack shaft, the 2 tangs on the washer fit in here (it's obvious when you see the washer removed)

you would then just screw the new inner rod arm in making sure the washer lines up in the slot, then use a punch to fold the washer over the flats and reattach the dust boot.

ive done the job with the rack fitted before, it's awkward but doable, it's not much more work to remove the rack from the car and given your power steering fluid probably hasn't been changed for quite awhile it's worth removing the rack and draining it all down anyway.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Brill pics thomp

Just to add on the photos you can also see the flats on the rack that you can put a spanner on. It is important to do this so as not to stress the rack gears.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Final fitted shot showing how the washer should be folded over with a hammer
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

I need to do this at some point as well as rebuild my power steering rack which won't be fun.

Return to “Mechanical”