Pistols MR2 stories... MK1 and 2zz MK3

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

monkeymax

Re: Pistols MR2 stories... Race car and Project car..

Post by monkeymax »

LOL Pete! I was wondering what that car had gone for! Been looking at Mk3s myself in recent weeks!

Oh - hi! Yes, I'm back. :P
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

yeah i been looking..
and thought looked okay.. put a randon offer in just on the off chance..
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

And Hi ... good to see you back :thumleft: :thumleft:
Draven

Post by Draven »

monkeymax wrote:LOL Pete! I was wondering what that car had gone for! Been looking at Mk3s myself in recent weeks!

Oh - hi! Yes, I'm back. :P

Hey dude welcome back :)
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Soo.. update time!!!

Last race of the season..

The celica was awesome.. double header weekend at snetterton..
First was with the TSS on the 100 circuit..

Unfortunately there are no videos of this weekend, due to an incident earlier in the week, involving the back roads and a badger, which in turn destroyed my go-pro mount

With it being decided the car was going, and this being its last outing decided to "go Nuts".. and it was faultless, with a few entertaining moments shall we say :)

Due to Croft and wood bridge destroying my front tires (the small 15s) i decided to try something different.. i ran my rear 15s on the front and my road going 17s on the rear.. it look quite funny.

I had had a pretty horrendous week leading up to this personally and my head wasn't really with it on the Saturday. but as soon as i got in the car on the start line.. i couldn't wait

The weather was lovely on the sat if not a little chilly. had a few good runs in the morning, with an improvement for me i was within a couple of seconds of Richard McKay (as the day went on he pulled an extra second)
My excuse is he has been driving the car much longer and has a lot more "bits on it" :)

anyway first run after lunch, my mum turned up to watch, first time she had come to see me on track, being oh you be careful etc etc you know what mums are like.. where as the wife was telling me to man up and go faster..
So first run for her to see me on track, first corner.. right in front of her. the biggest spin i think I've had when sprinting oops :)
I just went into Hamilton too hot on cold tires and just let go. i had a good giggle and carried on.

The rest of the day went well, i got as much as i could out of the car.. with a 1.53 and out of 9 runs 6 of them were in the 1.53 mark within about half a second.. that is consistency. It was enough to bag me 4th in group behind roger in a TRD gen7190 celica msport, Richard in celica GT, and Alex in a altezza.
I beat a couple of celicas so wasn't too bad.. i just don't feel the thrill of FWD on track.. but i can't fault how the celica handled, i have no doubt with a few extra mods and couple of trackdays,i would have got it much quicker..

Love the competition in C-Street and the banter, its all fairly level this is where i will be going next year for a full season in the mk3..

Sunday. the weather was terrible!!! Time to run the Javelin Sprint series
Rain Rain and more Rain...
But we did get to use the full 300 curcuit!!

So went for first couple of runs.. but the t1r's on the front were just aweful in the wet, a couple of near misses going towards the tirewalls due to them just locking up and sliding. chatted to Phil and Tim I decided to put my road going 17s on the front as well with bridgestone tyres on..
straight away in the wet felt better.. but it was a very slow day due to number of incidents yellow flags etc due to weather.

At lunch the Sun came out and dried the track.. awesome.. due to my class i am one of the last to run in the group.. had a great run put in a good time.. but was taking it easy checking track for grip etc, knowing next run i could still knock many seconds off.
So next run comes along, others in my group (clios etc) now running the track r888s go out.. get good times.. i line up.. Rain!!! but not just a little.. halfway round the track i could not actually see the track!!!!
that was it then.. no better time for the day bu88er..
After that even though they were timing, it was much quicker a loads people didn't go out again.. as they were classing them more as fun runs. fastest laps of the day had already been and gone.

I did have a moment on a hairpin on full opposite lock the whole way round giggling keeping foot it hoping it would come back... it did.

I had been playing in my group with Charlie in his lotus. we always had a good battle, unfortunately this round he had blown the elise up a couple of days before so was in a track hire MX5 which he didn't get on with, shame as was looking forward to another close battle

I was still happy with my time and again finished 4th in the group, i was never going to do great with all my competition using track tires...
so next year i will only be concentrating on the TSS, and maybe just do a couple of javelin rounds

Overall for the year though my points stayed in the Kit car Group due to thats where i started.. and even with the celica i finished 4th which i was well chuffed with :)

And again Celica was brilliant, a great laugh.. but RWD is calling me back.

So here are its last Two pictures.. thanks Zombie Celica its been a laugh..

BUT!!!! I have managed to sell the car as it sits to another sprinter.. who a bought it just to run it in the TSS next year.. meaning i will actually be competing against my old car
I was picked up sunday from bens house.. i was sad to see it go. but so chuffed it is staying it the TSS group.. even better he is currently leaving the graphics on it and joining team zombie.. so next year there will be two of us :)
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

So New project starts!!!

First off quick update for the ST..
Simply enough i love it like my last one.. currently go the gear box off to change clutch slave cylinder.. its also had a load of work including

Block mod, large front mount, Hybrid turbo(which is now removed due to it using oil), Induction, full 3 inch exhaust system, RS oil cooler. also has 550cc injectors, fully mapped.. now running just over 350hp.. its awesome..
On the hunt for an RS turbo to go with the injectors will see just under 400hp.. :) its great.. and the noise!!!!! love the noise..
Ill get some updated pics soon..

Anyway.. New Zombie Sprint car Mark 5!!!
Back in a mr2.. mk3 this time..
Before even getting the car i decided this is route i wanted to go..
I managed to find a Half cage and some BC coilovers which are sat at home ready to be attached to said car..

As from previous posts i have purchased a ratty tatty mk3 for 700.. i fully expected it to need work.. was a buy on ebay train up there and drive home..

So i picked up the car drove home.. instantly knowing something isn't quite right with the rear setup of the car.. but it had been sat for almost a year.. other than driving a bit wonky it actually pulled pretty well

by the time i got home it was starting to cough a bit..
so investigations found this..

Fitted these nice ones

Also fitted two new lambda sensors.. after this the engine ran sweet as a nut.. Did notice it still have the pre cats.. so on the list of jobs to remove..

The tires are Nankangs and Champarios.. which are well amazing!! not..
but even with those.. it felt something wrong n the passanger rear..
having not driven it much decided to have a look see what was causing the spontaneous sideways actions. At which point i have been very pleased it has a LSD!!

First off here is the car

(St next to it)

up it goes...
Any one spot the problem yet..

under the front looks fairly clean

the offending side compared to the drivers side

As to what is causing it .. as of yet i am unsure.. all Arms look straight.. canot see anything obv bent or signs of a smack..
All the arms are being replaced as are the shocks and springs.. so this is the first this i will look at....
but even if i buy new arms and i cannot fix this due to something serious being bent, new bushed arms would go on a new car anyway.. but hoping its fixable.. move investigation is required..

i also found this..
Oh dear..

yep standard on a PFL mk3.. the sub frame has a huge huge hole in it.

After a phone around everyone pretty much says you cannot get them.. they all rot you will not find a good one.. so conversion starts with the wife about breaking it and getting another.. then on the off chance i phone Mr T.. £300 for a full new subframe.. which to me for brand new.. thats not bad.. i can live with that..
So with the new arms and subframe should really sort the rear of this car completly..

It will have to wait for now though.. as first i need to finish the focus and do the wifes clutch and flywheel on her fabia.. then i will be back on this..
I have taken it off the road and intend to fully strip in down to inspect clean and de rust anything before purchasing any new parts, to build back up a really nice track car over winter ready for race season next year

how it has only an advisory with a years mot i have no idea!!!
but onwards and upwards.

any suggestions for the rear wheel angle is greatly appreciated..

keep watch on the thread and will update as soon as i start stripping and inspecting..
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Update time.. just a little one.. but very exciting one..

First off it was my birthday.. so we have a night staying at port lympne Zoo

Rights outside the wold enclosure.. it was awesome.. had to pop out for dinner was in the fiesta.. thought it looked good so took a pic.. just well cos..

and this was outside my bedroom for the night.

Anyways.. when that was done.. IUt was time to get the new part of this MK3 project..
Train up to hertfordshire, picked up by Ollie to get this beast..

So Yep.. the mk3 is going 2zz!!!

Had a chat with Adrian who runs TSS, Keeping the interior and road tires etc i will be staying in C-Street, which is great well chuffed, as at this time did not want to go fully stripped or track tires etc.. i will in time..

At the moment i am changing the flywheel and clutch in the wifes Fabia as well as suspension re-fresh.
then ill be doing my Focus ST clutch slave Cylinder..

Then i will get getting on with the mk3, where i will do new rear arms, coilovers, new rear subframe.. basically get it track ready with the 1zz in it.. when i know it is track ready. then i will continue the engine swap.. one thing at a time and all that..
Untill then while the Fab and Focus are being done i am going the use the T sport corolla.. i actually really like it and cannot wait to get it in the mr2..
Last edited by pistol pete on Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
craig

Post by craig »

Good stuff mate, tuned in!

I honestly, have never known anyone else who buys cars like they do socks :clap: :mrgreen:
Draven

Post by Draven »

:shock: So many cars. I have a problem affording just the one.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Normal service will resume soon!!

Much to update
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Well many words are needed i feel.. so here i go..

The MK3 from above...
the more i looked at teh car, the more i wasn't happy with it.. i pulled prodded and poked.. the engine went well, the body work was good.. but there was something very off about the rear end as above..

There was nothing bent on the subframe arms that was visible.. which would mean changing everything untill it was found.. or i could spend all the time changing everything only to find, as suspected when inspected by a number of people, it was actually a bent chassis.
So that being said.. it was unfortunatly then stripped for parts..
as i wanted it gone as quick as possible, i got Andy ayres down for the day and we took off all parts that would be worth selling.. whilst helping he even bought the half cage so he could do the sprint series in his 2gr..

The idea being i sold everything and see what monies i had and go from there as no final decision had been made what i wanted to do.
I also very much make sure my cars are self funding, what i sell car and parts for is what i can buy my next car with.

So after only one day the mk3 looked like this..

So that went off the scrap man the same day, i follwed up and took the wheels off too..

still got a few bits left to sell but nearly all gone

So that being that.. i had no car for the 2zz to go into..

so i cleaned it up and stuck it on ebay.. (blue cars are never good in our household)
I actually sold to Patrick (headcase) for a family member to drive around in, then later they will stick the engine in a mk3..

Now at this point my drive for us is looking very empty.. only leaving the wifes very cool VRS and my ST on the drive (mini and 318is in the garage).. but no race for this year..

But i did has money now sat in the bank and my tin to buy something.. (not loads but some)

So the hunt began.. First car i was offered by a TSS friend was a mk2 mr2 turbo., been in their family for 16 years.. it started life as a rev glimited NA. then had a rev3 turbo engine fitted, then a hybrid turbo and then it was fully forged. So it would have been a good buy.. Went up and had a look at it. Sills had gone but other than that looked pretty good, pulled well. but it had not really been driven for 3 years.. so the engine was still a little unknown having sat for that long etc.. also needed a new door and plently of tidying
I put an offer on it

Before the offer was accepted or rejected i was contact by another TSS friend.. He had a light weight well know mk1 sat in his garage from some time.. need work (a lot) and had no engine.. but for what it was it was cheap.., at the same time put me in contact with Another memeber of TSS who had another Ex TSS mk1 that had a good engine but was fairly rotten..

After much discussions, thinking and contemplating. Then Ben told me what i should do..

I went for the long game and bought the mk1's.
Only issue being the lightweight one was a mk1B and the rotten one was a mk1A so some bits wouldn't swap or involve more work.

With that in mind we thought i would need to etc some money to buy parts etc..

You still with me at the back there, or fallen asleep?

Kels (my wife) dad had sold his old st24 to a guy couple doors down about 8 years ago.. he had driven it around till last year when airbag light came up and he bought a st200. i offered to buy it from him so i could break it of make it run and sell it..
Bonus he said i could have the car for not very many pennies

Then.. I took Kels 162K mile Fabia VRS in for its MOT went through with flying colours. no advisories.. he commented the car was immaculate. whilst there was chatting to the guys about the mk1.. one said.. oh we got one of those in my lockup, you can buy it if you want with no engine.. but it was a mk1B with the extra bits like gearbox etc i would need

so somehow in the space of 3 days i had bought 4 cars.. all for not very much money..

Now i had to work out how to collect them all.. It was decided on a Banzai i weekend.. I hired a Van and trailer Friday to Monday for £160..

Right off to a meeting.. back shortly...
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Right I'm back..where was i..

Okay so i picked up a nice new van and trailer from Kenhire with a large trailer on the back.. off i went to norfolk.

fairly easy journey up there to a small unit holding the new race car.
As said it needs work. but i am looking at the bigger picture.. its a well known car in the mk1 long term owners.. with a lot of money spent on the shell

the bumper is special moulded one piece as are the wings, bonnet, doors, engine lid, boot lid and back bumper are all single skin fibreglass, very light..
Its then had everything stripped it doesn't need.. except the heater matrix which ill be taking out..
It has also then as i found out its has front and rear chassis strengthening, along with a front through bonnet scoop

First impressions were.. "what have i let myself in for".. but the long drive home i was getting more excited about what i can make of it..
here are the pics.. covered in dirt from being in storage.. but no rust!!

First off here is the car in its Hay-Day.. looking good

this is as it is when we removed it from the garage.
It currently has stock suspension. ignore the rear as has no engine but look how high the front is.. thats how light it is!

I do have the front valance and inside is a load of "bits" for it too.

so happy with my purchase we loaded Feam up onto the trailer (thanks Phil!)

And off i traveled home, where i knew i could have a proper poke and play with it..

So got home and uinloaded.. kels really liked feam but wasn't happy how dirty it was.. so out went the girls and gave it a good clean

good girls.. so started prodding around quickly.. as running out of light and other cars to collect.. here are the initial pictures..
bracing and scoop
will defo be remaking the scoop better

and in the boot more strengthening

love the light raising method... motors are far to heavy.. so in low location locked in by bathroom lock.. unlock.. lift light.. relock... Racecar baby!!!

then got it tucked away in its new home in the garage couple more pics.. including a very cool stack dash which i think i have decided to keep

Later on in the evening when we were inside we went through the recipts that came with the car.. they are mad!! crazy money spent on it.. i mean enough that would make Craig weep even after doing his mk2
:lol:

here is just one..
160hours labour!!

we have counted well over 42k spent on the car. Found it has things like custom made ali headlamp covers and many many other goodies..
So that is Feam for now... that will be the one this thread follows for progression

So next car to pick up was the ST24 mondeo.. it was 5 doors down from me but had 2 flat tyres and wouldn't start.. luckily i have a hire van !! so on whe the tow rope and tugged it down to my house and put in the corner for me to look at, at some point.. It again was filthy so the next morning when i went off to get the next car kel cleaned it.. she is a good girl
here it is

Number 3.
Off again to norfolk i drive.. Again.. This time i meet up with guy.. impressed with the mk1.. i just want to get home so line up the traielr and get it loaded.. and off home..

Back home unloaded the black (was once gold) mk1a
Kel and Jackie sets on cleaning it straight away. instantly falling in love with the car. claiming it for them.. oh great. To be honest if the car wasn't to far gone i was already thinking of restoring it.. too many mk1s are going to scrap nowdays.
Connected a battery to it.. started straight away.. awesome..
moved it up onto the ramp.. this was fun as the car currently was actually missing a steeringwheel and seats..
once on the ramp got it in the air and had a good poke and prod.. it has rotten through in all the normal places mk1s go.. it has come with new sills, arches are easy enough to get, and other area i have seen welded up before..
Its something me, Ben and Phil can play with Car SOS it :) and practice welding on. Slow burner this one. to nice to break up

Number4....

luckily this one was fairly local 40 mins away....
but as soon as i got there.. "nope"
they had used to spoiler!! to lift the car high enough to take the engine out.

I didn't want it.. at all.. but i did want some bits out of it..
so for a the sum of £30 i could take whatever i wanted..
so for the black on i got seats, steering wheel, loads of the interior plastics, carpet was ruined so did not get that.. also got the rear "toyota" top spoiler as the one on black one had been painted kel wanted it original
also got a good working mk1b gearbox, also some good condition mudflads.. happy with my haul off home i went with parts..

then monday morning dropped off the trailer..

I was knackered.. 4 cars and 800 miles later

So plans are
gather parts for Feam.. start getting that track ready.. i want to strip it down and check everything.. things i actually need to but.. Roll cage, suspension, engine ecu loom, seat, harness.
I am sure there will be more but thats all to come.. i think i have sourced a 1b engine loom and ECU already..

The black one is restore as time allows

ST24 is get running in the next week (suspect fuel pump) if it doesn't break it for parts..

In all honesty i wont have the money to get Feam up and runnning for this year.. and its where i want to put my money... but kel says i have to race this year or i will go mad.. so with the money i have left over i am going to pick up a £500 1.0 yaris strip it all except the seat. stick some lowering springs on it and take it racing for a year and have a giggle and probably car share it with Ben and Phil.. but not confirmed yet we shall see..

Feam aim is for 2018 season unless i can get it done earlier.. watch this space as it devlops..

sorry waffled on but i like looking back at what i have done in a couple of years time...
Ben

Post by Ben »

pistol pete wrote:Then Ben told me what i should do..

Damn straight :lol:

The weird thing is, you listened... 8-[

Looks like you're going to have a busy year :D
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Draven

Post by Draven »

:thumleft: 4 cars.. you're crazy.

But good work. I don't know how you find the time to work on them all. don't worry about the waffling I enjoy the read
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Draven wrote::thumleft: 4 cars.. you're crazy.

But good work. I don't know how you find the time to work on them all. don't worry about the waffling I enjoy the read

I have no idea how i find the time.. so it will be slow.. but shift work is my friend
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Ben wrote:
pistol pete wrote:Then Ben told me what i should do..

Damn straight :lol:

The weird thing is, you listened... 8-[

Looks like you're going to have a busy year :D

well i normally ignore you so though i would make a change this year :)

hey busy year is nothing different.. have you not figured out you are helping do most of this so you have a busy year too
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

One thing I forgot about until today, I think FEAM has some kind Celica calipers on the front. Never got around to looking at them properly so can't tell you more than that but worth a look.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Cool!!! I wanna get it up on ramps and have a looks!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Wow there is so much work to do on Feam. I'm guessing the old Leda suspension has gone? Though it would need probably more than a rebuild by now.

I notice the black MK1 you have looks like Garrick and Jo's old track MK1 going back to 2009. Think he and Jo may have sprinted this one too! So a bit of heritage there.

Good luck with Feam, that's a mega amout of work to do! :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

There's work to do on feam.. I have done a lot more than that on my old mk2..

Yeah it's jo and Garrick's old car

Looking forward to it ;)

The Leda's are on Phil's mk1

Return to “Member Profiles”